Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May have a second set soon...

User Info Menu

Default Re: May have a second set soon...

There are 2 things that will make me walk away from a great kit at a great price without glancing back over my shoulder: concert toms and power toms.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    There are 2 things that will make me walk away from a great kit at a great price without glancing back over my shoulder: concert toms and power toms.
    But that's why I have options! lol.DSC01987.jpg

User Info Menu

So I should have a chance to see the kit tomorrow (and everything included). Will post how it goes.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So I should have a chance to see the kit tomorrow (and everything included). Will post how it goes.
    Thanks man. There aren't too many "New to Me" threads on DC so I'm looking forward your follow up.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to your review.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Center.jpglft side.jpgrt side.jpg

Shots of the kit set up prior to me looking at them. They are currently in my basement. I still need to look over them and check bearing edges, etc., but they appear to be in pretty darn good shape for a 26 year old kit. Total tally is 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16, 22x16, 14x6.5 Snare plus an extra 14x4 piccolo snare and an extra 18x16 floor tom (Export series in similar color that I may make into a gong drum), 14" Zildjian New Beats, 16" Zildjian medium thin crash, 22" Sabian AA ride, a set of older pearl double pedals, all hardware in the pictures plus an extra boom stand, and 2 thrones for $800.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 05-31-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I'd say you did really well. I'd guess the cymbals alone are worth close to what you paid for everything.

Congrats!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'd say you did really well. I'd guess the cymbals alone are worth close to what you paid for everything.

Congrats!!
    Thanks Bish, the bummer is I have to take my youngest to guitar lesson and then come home and cut the grass/weedwhip before I can look at them. Really want to take everything apart and make sure it is in good shape. The Pearl hardware/stands seems on par with the Yamaha set I have, which is nice. They will all need new heads and 3 of the hanging toms will need ISS mounts switched to RIMS or Optimounts, but outside of that it should be all elbow grease.

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish, the bummer is I have to take my youngest to guitar lesson and then come home and cut the grass/weedwhip before I can look at them. Really want to take everything apart and make sure it is in good shape. The Pearl hardware/stands seems on par with the Yamaha set I have, which is nice. They will all need new heads and 3 of the hanging toms will need ISS mounts switched to RIMS or Optimounts, but outside of that it should be all elbow grease.
    There in lies most of the fun. Really getting to know your new gear. I would take the time and remove everything you can and really wipe them down and give them a good goings over. I would guess it to take several days and in terms of wrenching on the gear, at least it won't be noisy so you can stay up later at night. I'm a night owl so that works great for me.

Keep us posted on the progress. Looking forward to your reviews!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So I typed too fast on my description post, there is no 14" tom on the kit. It is a 10, 12, 13, 16, 22, with a 14x6.5 snare.

User Info Menu

So I typed too fast on my description post, there is no 14" tom on the kit. It is a 10, 12, 13, 16, 22, with a 14x6.5 snare.
    That sounds more like a normal rock configuration anyhow. Still some beastly drums shells, huh?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Update: took all the lugs and legs/spurs off of the shells and gave them a good cleaning, then polished with guitar polish. 10" tom has a slight divot on top bearing edge but besides that all are structurally fine. A few battle scars from the past, but actually really great shape for it's age. Shells are incredibly light! I have a wedding to go to, so that's all I can do for today. Soaking tension rods in mineral spirits. Will try to get all the lugs and hoops polished up tomorrow. The whole kit needs new heads, not sure when those will get ordered. Will post pics when I am done!

User Info Menu

That sounds more like a normal rock configuration anyhow. Still some beastly drums shells, huh?
    Yeah Bish, the shells seem killer. Can't wait to get everything back together, tuned up, and start playing on them.

User Info Menu

What type of heads are you thinking of putting on them?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

What type of heads are you thinking of putting on them?
    Thinking Clear G2s over G1s and an EQ3 on the kick. Haven't landed 100% on that yet, but how I am leaning now. Input/advice from anyone is always appreciated.

User Info Menu

Some in process pics: Shells cleaned and polished
    Shells.jpg

Tom and Snare hardware cleaned and polished
    Tom and Snare lugs.jpg

Tom and Snare Tension rods soaked and cleaned
    tension rods.jpg

Toms and snare rims cleaned and polished
    Rims and lugs.jpg

Still have to polish up the bass lugs, spurs, and soak and clean the bass tension rods.

User Info Menu

Word - OUTSTANDING!!!

Are you having fun yet?

As far as heads go.....I've always liked clear 2 ply but more and more my kits seem to sound better with coated 2 ply. I'm not sure what has triggered it but I'm finding more and more I'm moving away from clear heads. Must be an age thing.....RICK?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Word - OUTSTANDING!!!

Are you having fun yet?

As far as heads go.....I've always liked clear 2 ply but more and more my kits seem to sound better with coated 2 ply. I'm not sure what has triggered it but I'm finding more and more I'm moving away from clear heads. Must be an age thing.....RICK?
    Thanks Bish. I actually am enjoying it. Need to pick up some wood filler for the small fleabite on the 10" tom. I think I will re-assemble everything sans heads and then start on the bass. I like coated heads as well, just not sure how I would like the look of a white head on an ivory drum. I do have a new Evans coated snare head I can throw on and see how it looks. My drum instructor stopped by to see the kit and said I stole it. He said the shells alone could easily get $1500 or better as is.

User Info Menu

You are doing a great job. I can't wait to see and hear the completed project.

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish. I actually am enjoying it. Need to pick up some wood filler for the small fleabite on the 10" tom. I think I will re-assemble everything sans heads and then start on the bass. I like coated heads as well, just not sure how I would like the look of a white head on an ivory drum. I do have a new Evans coated snare head I can throw on and see how it looks. My drum instructor stopped by to see the kit and said I stole it. He said the shells alone could easily get $1500 or better as is.
    - OR -

You could try these....I just out-fitted my Stage Customs and oh man, I've never heard them sound better. I got them for my Tour Customs as well. I'm liking these heads a lot. But it's early so time will tell.

Signature here

User Info Menu

- OR -

You could try these....I just out-fitted my Stage Customs and oh man, I've never heard them sound better. I got them for my Tour Customs as well. I'm liking these heads a lot. But it's early so time will tell.

Nice looking kit Bish. I considered the black heads but ended up going clear G2 over G1 to start with as several people on the PDF had used that combo on their MBX kits. I can always try the black heads next time they need to be changed. Heads should be here by Friday so hopefully next weekend my new kit is ready to go!

User Info Menu

I'm sure they will sound amazing.

Sure is fun to watch you do the work, haha!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thinking Clear G2s over G1s and an EQ3 on the kick. Haven't landed 100% on that yet, but how I am leaning now. Input/advice from anyone is always appreciated.
    Wow! The kit looks great. Congrats on the score! Good choice of heads; 2 ply clear over 1 ply clear. I have EQ3 heads clear-batter/ebony-reso on my Collectors with the Evans EQ pad and it sounds killer.

User Info Menu

Lugs back on all the shells, and these just arrived late last night:

Heads.jpg

Now just waiting on the RIMS mounts for the toms and assembly can begin!

User Info Menu

Lugs back on all the shells, and these just arrived late last night:

Heads.jpg

Now just waiting on the RIMS mounts for the toms and assembly can begin!
    Thanks for the update and the pics. Looking forward to seeing the kit soon.