Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May have a second set soon...

User Info Menu

Default May have a second set soon...

So a friend at work approached me last week with a possible deal for a drum set his father owns. His dad is a guitarist who is going through a divorce and he has a drum kit that he acquired years ago that he is looking to sell as he needs cash. All he knows is it is a Pearl kit. I told him to get me some pics and I would see if I was interested. Fast forward to yesterday and I get a text with pictures of the shell pack stacked up and a close up of the badge. They are Pearl Masters Studio Birch. From the looks it appears to be a 22, 10,12,13,14,16, with a matching 6.5x14 snare in white mist. Toms appear to be power sizes. I know they are older drums (93-97 was when the Birch MBX were made) but from everything I have read these were some really nice kits. His dad also has some Zildjian A and Sabian cymbals that go with the kit. At the price he is asking, I may just have to jump on this kit. Anybody here have any experience with the MBX? Would love to hear opinions.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: May have a second set soon...

I think they are quite high end drums and this could be a gold mine if the price is fair.

I would caution you on the tom sizes. If they are older power toms and you are used to more of the smaller fusion style toms, this we be a shock to the system.

Can you post some pictures and are you able to talk about the cost? It would help with figuring out what they are worth.

Plus, you know we like pictures.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

P.S. Are we sporting the same Yammys?

Your sig...

Yamaha Stage Custom
    22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16
    Cranberry Red
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I think they are quite high end drums and this could be a gold mine if the price is fair.

I would caution you on the tom sizes. If they are older power toms and you are used to more of the smaller fusion style toms, this we be a shock to the system.

Can you post some pictures and are you able to talk about the cost? It would help with figuring out what they are worth.

Hey Bish,

So my current Yammy's are my Sig, so I am familiar with power tom sizes . From what I have been told from my friend, his dad is asking for $800 for the 7 shells, plus a pair of 13" New Beats Zildjian Hats, a Sabian AA Ride, and a Zildjian Medium Thin Crash. I don't have any great pictures of the shells, just a cell phone snap of the shell pack stacked up in a basement with other stuff around it. If I get some better pics or end up getting the set I will post a bunch. At this point I am thinking that at the price point it is a no brainer to get but have to get the boss's sign off lol.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I'm not a huge birch fan BUT................
    I did a gig in 2013 wherein we opened for 38 Special; the drummer (Gary Moffatt) played birch Pearl Masters.
    I was there for the sound check and for the 38 set............those are the best-sounding birch shells that I've heard............nice drums.
    If the price is right, you might want to grab those.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So a friend at work approached me last week with a possible deal for a drum set his father owns. His dad is a guitarist who is going through a divorce and he has a drum kit that he acquired years ago that he is looking to sell as he needs cash. All he knows is it is a Pearl kit. I told him to get me some pics and I would see if I was interested. Fast forward to yesterday and I get a text with pictures of the shell pack stacked up and a close up of the badge. They are Pearl Masters Studio Birch. From the looks it appears to be a 22, 10,12,13,14,16, with a matching 6.5x14 snare in white mist. Toms appear to be power sizes. I know they are older drums (93-97 was when the Birch MBX were made) but from everything I have read these were some really nice kits. His dad also has some Zildjian A and Sabian cymbals that go with the kit. At the price he is asking, I may just have to jump on this kit. Anybody here have any experience with the MBX? Would love to hear opinions.
    I didn't have the MBX series but I did have the SBX (100% birch) series which was right under the MBX line but was discontinued in 2008 and reissued with a lampur/birch combination in 2012. The MBX was the forerunner to the Master Premium line. These drums are an excellent deal! The hardware found on the MBX was also used on their Master Premium line.

Birch has tons of attack and in most cases, favored with recording engineers. I regret selling my SBX kit. I bought mine used back in 2012 5pc shell pack for $850

From Pearl Wiki-

• Session - Drums made from 100% Maple or Birch shells. Session drums came standard with the OptiMount suspension system and 2.3mm SuperHoops. The series was discontinued in January 2008. These drums were extremely popular, but expensive. The Session line was later reintroduced in 2012 as the Session Studio Classic.

• Masters - The forerunner to the Masters Premium line, with shells made from either Maple (MMX, MRX, MSX), Birch (MBX, BRX) or Mahogany (MHX). Most of their finishes are now available on their Masters Premium and Reference series drums.

• MX, MLX & BLX - The predecessor of the original Masters series, with the MX being a wrapped 6ply (7.5mm) maple kit, and the MLX and BLX being lacquered 6ply (7.5mm) Maple and Birch Kits respectively. Included 2.3mm Superhoops, through-shell mounting and often came with a free-floating snare.

Edit:

Last edited by late8; 05-13-2019 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I didn't have the MBX series but I did have the SBX (100% birch) series which was right under the MBX line but was discontinued in 2008 and reissued with a lampur/birch combination in 2012. The MBX was the forerunner to the Master Premium line. These drums are an excellent deal! The hardware found on the MBX was also used on their Master Premium line.

Birch has tons of attack and in most cases, favored with recording engineers. I regret selling my SBX kit. I bought mine used back in 2012 5pc shell pack for $850

From Pearl Wiki-

• Session - Drums made from 100% Maple or Birch shells. Session drums came standard with the OptiMount suspension system and 2.3mm SuperHoops. The series was discontinued in January 2008. These drums were extremely popular, but expensive. The Session line was later reintroduced in 2012 as the Session Studio Classic.

• Masters - The forerunner to the Masters Premium line, with shells made from either Maple (MMX, MRX, MSX), Birch (MBX, BRX) or Mahogany (MHX). Most of their finishes are now available on their Masters Premium and Reference series drums.

• MX, MLX & BLX - The predecessor of the original Masters series, with the MX being a wrapped 6ply (7.5mm) maple kit, and the MLX and BLX being lacquered 6ply (7.5mm) Maple and Birch Kits respectively. Included 2.3mm Superhoops, through-shell mounting and often came with a free-floating snare.

Edit:

Thanks late8 for the info. That is a gorgeous kit! It will be a few weeks before I get to see the drums in question, but if everything is as it seems, I feel pretty sure I will be bringing home a new set to play with. I will update this post once I have looked the set over.

User Info Menu

100% agree with this!
    I can't set my Sonor up normal anymore because of that.
    I'm even struggling with my old Yamaha because of the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    100% agree with this!
    I can't set my Sonor up normal anymore because of that.
    I'm even struggling with my old Yamaha because of the same thing.
    I know, right. That is the dilemma I have with the Beech Absolutes. Love the drums but man they are super large.....lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I found a MBX in Arctic White with the power tom set up. White shells look good.
    pearl-mbx-36952.jpg

User Info Menu

I found a MBX in Arctic White with the power tom set up. White shells look good.
    pearl-mbx-36952.jpg
    Yep, that is a sharp kit!

User Info Menu

If the description above and the asking price are right, I'd do it. But, you know me. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

$800 for the 7 shells
    13" New Beats Zildjian Hats,
    Sabian AA Ride,
    Zildjian Medium Thin Crash. .
    This is about how close I could get to the above offer:

The used retail cymbal prices:

Used 13" New Beats Zildjian Hats $120-135
    Used Sabian AA Ride $80-100
    Used Zildjian Medium Thin Crash. $99-120

Brand new-

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Shell Pack - Honey Amber
    5-piece Drum Kit with 22" Kick, 16" Floor Tom, 12" and 10" Rack Toms, and 14" Snare - Honey Amber

Suggested retail $649.99

1.jpg

User Info Menu

This is about how close I could get to the above offer:

The used retail cymbal prices:

Used 13" New Beats Zildjian Hats $120-135
    Used Sabian AA Ride $80-100
    Used Zildjian Medium Thin Crash. $99-120

Brand new-

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Shell Pack - Honey Amber
    5-piece Drum Kit with 22" Kick, 16" Floor Tom, 12" and 10" Rack Toms, and 14" Snare - Honey Amber

Suggested retail $649.99

1.jpg

That Stage Custom is a "Best Buy" in my experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That Stage Custom is a "Best Buy" in my experience.
    Absolutely! If I were a gigging drummer, the Stage Customs would be that kit.

User Info Menu

Badge.jpgstacked.jpg
    These are the images I have from my friend. Will post more when I get a chance to look at them in person.

User Info Menu

Love my Yammies, and will definitely keep them. This is merely a chance for a second set so when my oldest son moves out down the road, I can give him a complete set and I will still have one.

User Info Menu

I’ve had a very similar vintage 14x6.5” Masters Custom snare in maple for years. It’s always treated me well, served as my main snare for a very long time.

User Info Menu

Love my Yammies, and will definitely keep them. This is merely a chance for a second set so when my oldest son moves out down the road, I can give him a complete set and I will still have one.
    Is he taking the pedals? He better not be taking the pedals. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Is he taking the pedals? He better not be taking the pedals. LOL
    Bish, I still have my Tama IC pedal that I will let him have lol.

User Info Menu

Bish, I still have my Tama IC pedal that I will let him have lol.
    hahaha, it's none of my business. I'm just messing with you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Badge.jpgstacked.jpg
    These are the images I have from my friend. Will post more when I get a chance to look at them in person.
    Nice! From what I can see from the pics, the toms use the entry level Pearl ISS mounting system. I had those on my Pearl ECX kit before I upgraded to the Optimounts. If you pull the trigger, look to upgrade the ISS mounts down the road. You won't regret the investment.

Pearl ISS tom mount:

1.jpg

Pearl Optimount:

2.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks late8, I was looking at the Optimounts or RIMS mounts to swap to if I get these.

User Info Menu

Thanks late8, I was looking at the Optimounts or RIMS mounts to swap to if I get these.
    RIMS would be even better. I had the old style RIMS mounts when I first brought my Exports home. They made the toms sing and I liked them better than the Optimounts.

Last edited by late8; 05-24-2019 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

They are truly, but like you say the deep toms are a P.I.T.A. to set up over the bass drum because of the depth! lol.DSC01979.jpg