Thread: Now’s the time to buy!

User Info Menu

Default Now’s the time to buy!

If anyone is considering buying a new mid-grade or lower pro-grade kit, now’s the time to do it. The new tariff increase on China imported goods will go into effect on products leaving port on June 1st. Even so, many distributors that stock China products tend to take price increases as soon as possible...even on items in existing stock that may not have been subjected to the higher tariff rate. Stock must be replaced, so when the future replacement comes at a higher price, the added cost must be recouped. When manufacturers take a price increase on a specific date, distribution raises the retail price on that product on said date...regardless of what they originally paid.

A side effect may also be an increase in price for domestic products. If the retail price of a China kit goes from $1000 to $1250, there’s a good chance the $2000 USA kit will increase to $2500.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Now’s the time to buy!

Yep. And Brian's math eludes to it but the tariff can be up to 25%. Significant increases are coming. Dealing with this crap at work. Buy now or pay more.

User Info Menu

so in drummers terms this means G.A.S. is headed towards $8 a gallon
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Quoted for posterity. I see what you did there....lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Luckily I am narrowing my search down to a new high end Birch kit from either England, Japan, or Germany : ) BTW why will Domestic prices go up? Just because companies want to make up for the loss of the china made sales?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Luckily I am narrowing my search down to a new high end Birch kit from either England, Japan, or Germany : ) BTW why will Domestic prices go up? Just because companies want to make up for the loss of the china made sales? If your selling used you may want to wait because you can probably get a little more for it come June 1st..
    Last edited by MDK; 05-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm soooo glad I'm done buying.

User Info Menu

Sigh ...Tour Custom
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    BTW why will Domestic prices go up? Just because companies want to make up for the loss of the china made sales?
    Because the market will bear it (i.e. they can). USA kits are the premium. People are used to paying more for a Domestic product...and a rising tide raises all ships....
    My guess is that many manufacturers will maintain the same price spread between import and domestic products. I’ve seen that tendency develop in Industrial distribution over the last year when the first rounds of tariffs went into place. Also, I suspect that even though the shells of a USA kit may be made in America, the rims, lugs, bolts, etc. may be imported.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Quoted for posterity. I see what you did there....lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm soooo glad I'm done buying.
    Like !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I had to remove some political commentary. I know it's hard guys but lets avoid it. For the most part, I think the members here do a great job! Thanks!