Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Inappropriate Fills?

There's no such thing to me! haha

User Info Menu

The only fills I know are inappropriate and over-used ones. The good news is, I only know about 2 or 3....so the rest of the band knows what to expect.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Love this meme. Pretty accurate indeed.

User Info Menu

^that looks about right!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^that looks about right!
    Yup, you'll be hired for every single gig that every single other drummer on the planet can play, playing music that you'll soon be sick to death to play and after a number of years you'll feel insignificant, lacking individual expression and a sense of artistic value. You will have nothing to offer the band other than a backbeat and you will be easily replaced by either 'any old drummer' or a drum machine when the band decides to downsize to a trio so they can make more money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yup, you'll be hired for every single gig that every single other drummer on the planet can play, playing music that you'll soon be sick to death to play and after a number of years you'll feel insignificant, lacking individual expression and a sense of artistic value. You will have nothing to offer the band other than a backbeat and you will be easily replaced by either 'any old drummer' or a drum machine when the band decides to downsize to a trio so they can make more money.
    So... is it best to just play pocket and serve the music. Or play inappropriately but have more of a character behind your instrument? I think horses for course - playing in a pop environment, the former suits; playing in a fusion/experimental setting, the latter.

User Info Menu

"So... is it best to just play pocket and serve the music. Or play inappropriately but have more of a character behind your instrument?"

Combination of the 2 will work just fine.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by __--byonin--__ View Post
    So... is it best to just play pocket and serve the music. Or play inappropriately but have more of a character behind your instrument? I think horses for course - playing in a pop environment, the former suits; playing in a fusion/experimental setting, the latter.
    Would you rather eat food that's bland or food that has flavor? It is a misconception that chops are only for fusion or jazz drumming. Chops add 'style' to your playing and give you the facility to create within the grooves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by __--byonin--__ View Post
    So as in anything else.....the extreme either way is most likely not the best choice. There is a happy place in the middle. Trust me. Good example of that on this forum is Spaz. Solid with tastefully inserted killer fills.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 05-17-2019 at 07:56 AM.