Thread: Looking for an intermediate snare drum

User Info Menu

Default Looking for an intermediate snare drum

Hi everyone, first time in a long time-poster here, had a break from drumming for a few years and only recently started playing.
    Also the first time in a long time since I've used this forum, so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong category.

Anyway, I joined a band and things are going great. We got booked for a local festival on the main stage, which is obviously great. The only thing is... my drum hardware is not in a great state. Previous gigs had an in-house kit ready but this time I need to bring my own stuff.

The main problem is the snare. Currently I own an undefined TAMA Snare but its rims are broken and the thing is generally not very useable on a big stage. So I'm looking for a new snare and looking for suggestions for intermediate-level snare drums.

I have owned a MAPEX MPX Maple before. These things go for around €115 new and I was fairly satisfied with it but decided to sell it when I quit drumming. Is a drum like that recommended? Or should I be looking at something a bit higher tier?

Thanks for your replies!
    copy and Paiste

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for an intermediate snare drum

Welcome back josephusz! Since you mentioned Tama, I would highly recommend the 7x13" TAMA S.L.P. G-Maple Snare Drum. There are many members here that have given this sweet looking snare a big thumbs up. I've had my eye on one after reading a few reviews here. I've added Tama's official video so you can hear this snare in the right context.

1.jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome back.

There are a lot of really decent low to mid level snare drums available depending on the finish, material and price. You can find really good gear by Mapex, Ludwig, Yamaha and TAMA that will meet and exceed your requirements and expectations. There are so many to choose from, it's a buyers market. PDP is another stellar brand that gets overlooked a lot.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Welcome back josephusz! Since you mentioned Tama, I would highly recommend the 7x13" TAMA S.L.P. G-Maple Snare Drum. There are many members here that have given this sweet looking snare a big thumbs up. I've had my eye on one after reading a few reviews here. I've added Tama's official video so you can hear this snare in the right context.

1.jpg

hahahaha I was of course going to suggest this also.
    Hands down one of the BEST snares on the market and the best pricing.

User Info Menu

I can't find the agree button. !?!?!?!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

WHAT THEY ^^^^ SAID. YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED IN A 7x13" TAMA S.L.P. G-Maple Snare Drum.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I got that same snare after the glowing reviews by members of this forum and everywhere else. It's a great deal even at retail and if you find one used in mint condition like I did, it's an absolute steal!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: