Thread: Best way to use 2, identical floor toms in a 1 up 2 down set up?

User Info Menu

Default Best way to use 2, identical floor toms in a 1 up 2 down set up?

I have 2 16x14" floor toms and am thinking of trying to use them both in a 2 down set up. Do you think it would be better sounding to make 1 of them sound higher like a 14" tom or would it be better to do something to make it sound boomier like an 18"

I have a few ideas (different heads and tensions, maybe removing a reso all together off 1 of them) in mind but would like to see if someone else has an idea I have not thought of.

Thanks, BTW the rack tom is a 12x8 and the BD is a 22x16 all birch drums
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best way to use 2, identical floor toms in a 1 up 2 down set up?

IMO opinion (and assuming one rack tom) the way to deal with that set-up would be to tune the rack tom to the best sounding pitch for that specific shell (irrespective of where that may be) and tune one of the FTs to the lowest possible good-sounding pitch...............then I would tune the other FT to an intermediate tone between the two that would compliment and complete the kit.

I have resolved to play my kit configuration at 1-up, 2-down (played that way over the last 7 years) and I love it............mainly because I really like the ride in the conventional spot.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Since your rack tom is 12", I would tune the 1st floor tom high and the 2nd floor tom low. I had the Zikos 400 kit (configured for the James Brown Group) that came with two identical 14x10 rack toms from the factory and at first glance you'd think they both would sound the same since both were a mirror image of each other but I had no issues tuning them apart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I had the Zikos 400 kit that came with two identical 14x10 rack toms from the factory
    WOW -- I can't believe I had completely forgotten about that kit and the matching rack toms.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I agree with Ricky on the tuning part. Where I disagree with him (which is rare) is tuning to the shell.

I have no idea what the "correct shell pitch" would be, but the fact that you have to go from 12x8 to 16x14, to me is a wrong size up tom. IMHO, the up tom should be 13x9 when dealing with a 16" FT of any depth, and it should be tuned to a sound that you like, and then tune the 1st FT to a pitch that is a nice balance from the up tom and the 2nd FT to a pitch lower than the 1st FT.

As Rich said, tuning 2 of the same size drums to sound different is not a problem.

This tuning to the shell stuff, IMO, is BS. I've been playing these fool things for 62 years now, and for the 1st 50+ years, never, and I mean NEVER did I hear any drummer ( and I've met at least a thousand different drummers over all those years) say that they tuned their drums to a pitch of any shell, be it 12x8 to 18x16. They tuned to a sound they were happy with and fit with the music they were playing.

For your situation, whatever you do, don't watch a Gatzen/Gooden video on tuning. Those 2 couldn't tune a preset radio.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

My Ludwig kit has a 14” FT and a 16”FT. The few times I actually set them both up, the 16” was used to hold my beer and cell phone. It did it effectively...while looking cool on stage.
    I’m sure if I made an attempt to incorporate a 2nd FT, I would like it and use it. As it stands, I’ve trained myself to use the snare and 2 toms and I usually forget the 3rd tom is even there.

In the case of 2 identical FT’s, it’s usually easier to tune a FT higher than lower. I would tune one to The lowest pitch that still sounds good, then tune the second one up from there.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-29-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I agree with Ricky on the tuning part. Where I disagree with him (which is rare) is tuning to the shell.

I have no idea what the "correct shell pitch" would be, but the fact that you have to go from 12x8 to 16x14, to me is a wrong size up tom. IMHO, the up tom should be 13x9 when dealing with a 16" FT of any depth, and it should be tuned to a sound that you like, and then tune the 1st FT to a pitch that is a nice balance from the up tom and the 2nd FT to a pitch lower than the 1st FT.

As Rich said, tuning 2 of the same size drums to sound different is not a problem.

This tuning to the shell stuff, IMO, is BS. I've been playing these fool things for 62 years now, and for the 1st 50+ years, never, and I mean NEVER did I hear any drummer ( and I've met at least a thousand different drummers over all those years) say that they tuned their drums to a pitch of any shell, be it 12x8 to 18x16. They tuned to a sound they were happy with and fit with the music they were playing.

For your situation, whatever you do, don't watch a Gatzen/Gooden video on tuning. Those 2 couldn't tune a preset radio.
    Chances are, if any of them tuned any of their toms to the “best sound” they could get out of them, then they probably ended up at the fundamental pitch of the shell without realizing it..or even caring what it was. You can drive around the block clock-wise or counter-clock-wise; either way you end up back in front of your house!

...or at the liquor store in the case of my brother...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Brian, there's a logic in there that for some reason escapes me except for the liquor store part.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I stuck that Liquor store part in there to keep you interested
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Chances are, if any of them tuned any of their toms to the “best sound” they could get out of them, then they probably ended up at the fundamental pitch of the shell without realizing it..or even caring what it was.
    What I wrote was this................tune the rack tom to the best sounding pitch for that specific shell

What I meant was this............forget tuning it to a specific piano note or using those new fancy drum-tuning tools............just tune it to the pitch that makes that drum sound awesome to you, irrespective of where the other toms are tuned.

You've got three variables working together -- shell/batter/reso -- changing any one of those will change the sound at least a bit.
    I tune my toms by sitting on the couch watching the news (or whatever) and just getting each individual tom tuned to the best sound I can find, given the three variables.
    Then when I put them all together in the kit set-up, I play them just that way, irrespective of the pitch intervals between the toms.
    And they always sound great................been doing it that way forever.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

My Ludwig kit has a 14” FT and a 16”FT. The few times I actually set them both up, the 16” was used to hold my beer and cell phone. It did it effectively...while looking cool on stage.
    I’m sure if I made an attempt to incorporate a 2nd FT, I would like it and use it. As it stands, I’ve trained myself to use the snare and 2 toms and I usually forget the 3rd tom is even there.

In the case of 2 identical FT’s, it’s usually easier to tune a FT higher than lower. I would tune one to The lowest pitch that still sounds good, then tune the second one up from there.
    This is a good point. If what you're playing doesn't demand a second floor tom (or fill in the blank with any other drum you might not need), then why have it? Especially if you're gigging. No need to carry more crap than you're going to use. For me, I have a 1 up, 2 down set up (16" & 18" floor toms). Can't get away with not having them.

User Info Menu

....The few times I actually set them both up, the 16” was used to hold my beer and cell phone. It did it effectively...while looking cool on stage.
    Lol! This guy seemed to use his as a towel rack.

Buddy-Rich-1024x640.jpg

User Info Menu

I stuck that Liquor store part in there to keep you interested
    It worked!!!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This is a good point. If what you're playing doesn't demand a second floor tom (or fill in the blank with any other drum you might not need), then why have it? Especially if you're gigging. No need to carry more crap than you're going to use. For me, I have a 1 up, 2 down set up (16" & 18" floor toms). Can't get away with not having them.
    Marc, what size is your up tom?

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Lol! This guy seemed to use his as a towel rack.

Buddy-Rich-1024x640.jpg

Buddy did use his 2nd FT albeit rarely, and he use match grip which he knocked more than a few times.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I just ordered new kit and though the floor toms are the same size, wood type, and made by the same company the lone floor tom I currently have is 7-ply and the new one is 6-ply so should be easy enough to get 2 different tones from them if I decide to stay with the 2 down.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I just ordered new kit and though the floor toms are the same size, wood type, and made by the same company the lone floor tom I currently have is 7-ply and the new one is 6-ply so should be easy enough to get 2 different tones from them if I decide to stay with the 2 down.
    I didn't see it above if it was posted but what about giving one of the FTs and different head than the rest of the kit?

Make it a specialty tom for certain situations. Nothing specific comes to mind. Make it its own instrument.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I didn't see it above if it was posted but what about giving one of the FTs and different head than the rest of the kit?

Make it a specialty tom for certain situations. Nothing specific comes to mind. Make it its own instrument.
    I have thought of that as well as removing the reso head of one tom completely. Maybe even trying one of those ridiculous little kick ports on one of them. I am looking forward to experimenting with this for sure.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I have thought of that as well as removing the reso head of one tom completely. Maybe even trying one of those ridiculous little kick ports on one of them. I am looking forward to experimenting with this for sure.
    Good on you for that. I would def leave a bottom head of some sort on it just to preserve the bearing edge. I like the idea of a kickport, too. I've often wondered if they do much for a tom as opposed to a bdrum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

"I've often wondered if they do much for a tom as opposed to a bdrum".

Probably not, but they do give you another hole in another drum head.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

"I've often wondered if they do much for a tom as opposed to a bdrum".

Probably not, but they do give you another hole in another drum head.
    Yeah, like I need more holes in my head....hahahahaa
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Different heads is a brilliant idea. Maybe a single ply for the higher pitch and 2-ply for the lower.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yeah, like I need more holes in my head....hahahahaa

I will not touch that!!!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS