Thread: Tama SLP G-Maple snare unmatched

User Info Menu

Default Tama SLP G-Maple snare unmatched

I have 5 snares and 3 full kits:

1. DW Collectors maple exotic Paldao 6.5 x 14.
    2. Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 6.5 x 14.
    3. Tama SLP G-maple 7 x 13.
    4. Pearl Free Float brass 3.5 x 14.
    5. Yamaha steel 6.5 x 14 early 80's.

I actively use all 3 kits and swap out snares all the time. However, nothing seems to even come close to the Tama SLP G-maple 7 x 13. The DW has been underwhelming and the Mapex sounds great, except when I test side-by-side with the Tama.

I have a lot of $$ tied up in snares now and am thinking of selling off and just using 3 G-maples. I've tried mixing it up but nothing comes close and the G-maple is the perfect sound for my taste.

Recommendations???

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama SLP G-Maple snare unmatched

I have The 13 x 7 G-Maple, a DW collectors maple 10 + 6, and a pork pie bob and a pork pie steel. Love them all but I must admit my Tama G-maple 13 x 7 is my favorite as well but it's not that I hate my others,

My DW is very versatile especially on the fly when gigging due to the 3-position butte plate. My pork pie is not as versatile but I cannot get that sound from a wooden drum so it's nice to have when I feel like hearing it.

If all you like is the one sound then yes sell it but I am not sure a G-maple in a different size is going to be as great as the 13x7 but I could be wrong I have not tried or heard another size yet.

How long have you had the G-maple? as great as it is at some point you are going to want to put it down for a bit to hear something different and that may end up costing you much more money than you can get by selling the different snares you have now. I say give it some time and dont act too fast.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, I have the G-maple as well and I have another Tama as well, a 13X6.5 Artwood series birch and I use that a lot as well! lol.DSC01880.jpg

User Info Menu

Another G-Maple owner & another HUGE fan of it. I also have multiple snare's (Yamaha RC Brass 13x6.5, Yamaha RC Birch 14x8, Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 14x6.5, Pearl Brass 13x3 Piccolo, Pearl Masterworks 20 ply Maple/Birch/Mahogany 14x6.5) but the G-Maple just does everything & so well. Just a wonderful snare drum.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Another G-Maple owner & another HUGE fan of it. I also have multiple snare's (Yamaha RC Brass 13x6.5, Yamaha RC Birch 14x8, Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 14x6.5, Pearl Brass 13x3 Piccolo, Pearl Masterworks 20 ply Maple/Birch/Mahogany 14x6.5) but the G-Maple just does everything & so well. Just a wonderful snare drum.
    Must be a good snare................that is some pretty serious company...............and I really like the 7X13 size.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

As alluded to by Ricardo, it's my guess that what draws you to the G maple Tama is the 13" size more than anything else.. As you decrease snare diameter you increase the pop & snap crispness and definition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    As alluded to by Ricardo, it's my guess that what draws you to the G maple Tama is the 13" size more than anything else.. As you decrease snare diameter you increase the pop & snap crispness and definition.
    Love 13" snares & that's why I have 3 of them
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

As a few have suggested, the 13 x 7 size is likely contributing to the sound I'm loving from the G-maple.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my dw collectors. I've loved the sound of the Canopus The Maple, but maybe a different 13 x 7 is a better idea.

I had a 13 x 7 pork pie patina and wasn't happy.

Any suggestions, knowing that the G-maple sound is my favorite?

User Info Menu

Full disclosure -- I don't have a G-Maple Tama.............but I do have a 7 X 13 Black Magic that is somewhat awesome.
    That is how I know I love the 13-inch size.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Full disclosure -- I don't have a G-Maple Tama.............but I do have a 7 X 13 Black Magic that is somewhat awesome.
    That is how I know I love the 13-inch size.
    You mean like this. . . . . . DSC01698.jpg I put a matching INDe throw on it and I put an Aquarian Reflector head on it for now, but I will most likely put a HD dry on it, lol.DSC01942.jpg I have 18 snares and all but 4 are 13".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    As a few have suggested, the 13 x 7 size is likely contributing to the sound I'm loving from the G-maple.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my dw collectors. I've loved the sound of the Canopus The Maple, but maybe a different 13 x 7 is a better idea.

I had a 13 x 7 pork pie patina and wasn't happy.

Any suggestions, knowing that the G-maple sound is my favorite?
    Okay, since the Pork Pie Patina didn't do it for you and you're thinking about selling your DW Collectors, you probably can afford this:

DW Collector's Series 7x13" Plied Maple Snare Drum with Grey Crystal Wrap

• DW Collector's Series 7x13" Plied-Maple Snare Drum with Grey Crystal Wrap and Chrome Hardware
    • 10-Ply Maple Shell with 6-Ply Reinforcement Rings
    • True Hoops
    • MAG Throw-Off
    • 3-Position Toggle on Butt Plate
    • Grey Crystal Wrapped Finish
    • Remo Coated Single-Ply Batter Head
    • Remo Clear Snareside Head
    • 20-Strand TrueTone Snare Wires

User Info Menu

Those DW mag throw-offs and 3 position butt plates are the best things going on any snare drums from any manufacturer at the moment. IMO
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have over 55 snare drums as of this moment and the Tama G-Maple is in my top 3 for sure.
    If I had to get rid of all but 5 I will never remove it from my collection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I have 18 snares and all but 4 are 13".
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have over 55 snare drums as of this moment and the Tama G-Maple is in my top 3 for sure.
    See above for stout corroborative testimony..................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

@SpazApproved You were the one that recommended the G-maple to me.

Any recommendations on similar sounding snares? I'm thinking that 13 x 7 is my new preferred size.

User Info Menu

I'm obsessed with the 13x7

Look at the Pork Pie Brass Patina
    That's a killer snare also at a great price.
    Very open and bright and cuts through everything

User Info Menu

I bought a PP 13x7 patina from GC and returned it. Even spoke to bill (I think) at PP, who builds them, about dialing in and couldn't get the sound I wanted. I'm comparing everything to the G-maple at this point and nothing seems to cut it. Maybe I'll just buy 2 more G-maples and use exclusively with my 3 kits.

User Info Menu

Any recommendations on similar sounding snares? I'm thinking that 13 x 7 is my new preferred size.
    I also have a Yamaha RC 13x6.5 Brass which is absolutely killer
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I also have a Yamaha RC 13x6.5 Brass which is absolutely killer
    I tried that exact snare at the Drum Center of Portsmouth recently and loved it. Also liked the Canopus The Maple.

Maybe the Yamaha is a good choice. I remember it having nice high end snap but a little more overring than the G-maple. But moon gel will take care of that.

User Info Menu

I tried that exact snare at the Drum Center of Portsmouth recently and loved it. Also liked the Canopus The Maple.

Maybe the Yamaha is a good choice. I remember it having nice high end snap but a little more overring than the G-maple. But moon gel will take care of that.
    You are correct. It does ring out slightly so for the first time ever, I have used a single piece of Moongel also. I was going to swap the head for a Genera Dry & experiment with that Fantastic crack to it though with wonderful tones
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I bought a PP Brass Patina from GC and returned it. However, I loved the PP Little Squealer 13x7. I thought it sounded great but the hardware looked a little cheap. I may buy one now or maybe even the PP Pig Lite Acrylic.

User Info Menu

I have only 2 snares and the G-Maple is one if them.....the other is a 6.5x14 Black Beauty....I'll never part with it....it's not being played right now because of the Black Beauty but will always stay. In fact it made the DW bnob expendable so I could get my Saturn V.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Gonna have to try one. I see so many talking about how good these snares are.

User Info Menu

I've downsized to just two snares:

- The 13 x 7 G-Maple when I want a snare that cracks
    - The 14 x 6.5 Yamaha RC Brass when I want more of a singing tone (or for more real estate with brushes).

Haven't felt snare GAS for two years!

(haha, forgot about the Tama SLP Super Aluminum which I use with my compact kit).
    Last edited by svenarne; 12-05-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    '13 Mapex Saturn (pre-Saturn IV)
    Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian K and Zultan Caz cymbals
    Shure, Oktava and Telefunken USA microphones

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by svenarne View Post
    I've downsized to just two snares:

- The 13 x 7 G-Maple when I want a snare that cracks
    - The 14 x 6.5 Yamaha RC Brass when I want more of a singing tone (or for more real estate with brushes).

Haven't felt snare GAS for two years!

(haha, forgot about the Tama SLP Super Aluminum which I use with my compact kit).
    I never did have it. I find one or two drums and kits and a few cymbals that work for me and I'm done. That's just me.