Thread: Tama SLP G-Maple snare unmatched

User Info Menu

Default Tama SLP G-Maple snare unmatched

I have 5 snares and 3 full kits:

1. DW Collectors maple exotic Paldao 6.5 x 14.
    2. Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 6.5 x 14.
    3. Tama SLP G-maple 7 x 13.
    4. Pearl Free Float brass 3.5 x 14.
    5. Yamaha steel 6.5 x 14 early 80's.

I actively use all 3 kits and swap out snares all the time. However, nothing seems to even come close to the Tama SLP G-maple 7 x 13. The DW has been underwhelming and the Mapex sounds great, except when I test side-by-side with the Tama.

I have a lot of $$ tied up in snares now and am thinking of selling off and just using 3 G-maples. I've tried mixing it up but nothing comes close and the G-maple is the perfect sound for my taste.

Recommendations???

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama SLP G-Maple snare unmatched

I have The 13 x 7 G-Maple, a DW collectors maple 10 + 6, and a pork pie bob and a pork pie steel. Love them all but I must admit my Tama G-maple 13 x 7 is my favorite as well but it's not that I hate my others,

My DW is very versatile especially on the fly when gigging due to the 3-position butte plate. My pork pie is not as versatile but I cannot get that sound from a wooden drum so it's nice to have when I feel like hearing it.

If all you like is the one sound then yes sell it but I am not sure a G-maple in a different size is going to be as great as the 13x7 but I could be wrong I have not tried or heard another size yet.

How long have you had the G-maple? as great as it is at some point you are going to want to put it down for a bit to hear something different and that may end up costing you much more money than you can get by selling the different snares you have now. I say give it some time and dont act too fast.
    Crush Sublime Birch

Mapex Saturn V

Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, I have the G-maple as well and I have another Tama as well, a 13X6.5 Artwood series birch and I use that a lot as well! lol.DSC01880.jpg

User Info Menu

Another G-Maple owner & another HUGE fan of it. I also have multiple snare's (Yamaha RC Brass 13x6.5, Yamaha RC Birch 14x8, Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 14x6.5, Pearl Brass 13x3 Piccolo, Pearl Masterworks 20 ply Maple/Birch/Mahogany 14x6.5) but the G-Maple just does everything & so well. Just a wonderful snare drum.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Another G-Maple owner & another HUGE fan of it. I also have multiple snare's (Yamaha RC Brass 13x6.5, Yamaha RC Birch 14x8, Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 14x6.5, Pearl Brass 13x3 Piccolo, Pearl Masterworks 20 ply Maple/Birch/Mahogany 14x6.5) but the G-Maple just does everything & so well. Just a wonderful snare drum.
    Must be a good snare................that is some pretty serious company...............and I really like the 7X13 size.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

As alluded to by Ricardo, it's my guess that what draws you to the G maple Tama is the 13" size more than anything else.. As you decrease snare diameter you increase the pop & snap crispness and definition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    As alluded to by Ricardo, it's my guess that what draws you to the G maple Tama is the 13" size more than anything else.. As you decrease snare diameter you increase the pop & snap crispness and definition.
    Love 13" snares & that's why I have 3 of them
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

As a few have suggested, the 13 x 7 size is likely contributing to the sound I'm loving from the G-maple.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my dw collectors. I've loved the sound of the Canopus The Maple, but maybe a different 13 x 7 is a better idea.

I had a 13 x 7 pork pie patina and wasn't happy.

Any suggestions, knowing that the G-maple sound is my favorite?

User Info Menu

Full disclosure -- I don't have a G-Maple Tama.............but I do have a 7 X 13 Black Magic that is somewhat awesome.
    That is how I know I love the 13-inch size.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Full disclosure -- I don't have a G-Maple Tama.............but I do have a 7 X 13 Black Magic that is somewhat awesome.
    That is how I know I love the 13-inch size.
    You mean like this. . . . . . DSC01698.jpg I put a matching INDe throw on it and I put an Aquarian Reflector head on it for now, but I will most likely put a HD dry on it, lol.DSC01942.jpg I have 18 snares and all but 4 are 13".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    As a few have suggested, the 13 x 7 size is likely contributing to the sound I'm loving from the G-maple.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my dw collectors. I've loved the sound of the Canopus The Maple, but maybe a different 13 x 7 is a better idea.

I had a 13 x 7 pork pie patina and wasn't happy.

Any suggestions, knowing that the G-maple sound is my favorite?
    Okay, since the Pork Pie Patina didn't do it for you and you're thinking about selling your DW Collectors, you probably can afford this:

DW Collector's Series 7x13" Plied Maple Snare Drum with Grey Crystal Wrap

• DW Collector's Series 7x13" Plied-Maple Snare Drum with Grey Crystal Wrap and Chrome Hardware
    • 10-Ply Maple Shell with 6-Ply Reinforcement Rings
    • True Hoops
    • MAG Throw-Off
    • 3-Position Toggle on Butt Plate
    • Grey Crystal Wrapped Finish
    • Remo Coated Single-Ply Batter Head
    • Remo Clear Snareside Head
    • 20-Strand TrueTone Snare Wires

User Info Menu

Those DW mag throw-offs and 3 position butt plates are the best things going on any snare drums from any manufacturer at the moment. IMO
    Crush Sublime Birch

Mapex Saturn V

Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have over 55 snare drums as of this moment and the Tama G-Maple is in my top 3 for sure.
    If I had to get rid of all but 5 I will never remove it from my collection.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 55 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I have 18 snares and all but 4 are 13".
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have over 55 snare drums as of this moment and the Tama G-Maple is in my top 3 for sure.
    See above for stout corroborative testimony..................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

@SpazApproved You were the one that recommended the G-maple to me.

Any recommendations on similar sounding snares? I'm thinking that 13 x 7 is my new preferred size.

User Info Menu

I'm obsessed with the 13x7

Look at the Pork Pie Brass Patina
    That's a killer snare also at a great price.
    Very open and bright and cuts through everything
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 55 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

I bought a PP 13x7 patina from GC and returned it. Even spoke to bill (I think) at PP, who builds them, about dialing in and couldn't get the sound I wanted. I'm comparing everything to the G-maple at this point and nothing seems to cut it. Maybe I'll just buy 2 more G-maples and use exclusively with my 3 kits.

User Info Menu

Any recommendations on similar sounding snares? I'm thinking that 13 x 7 is my new preferred size.
    I also have a Yamaha RC 13x6.5 Brass which is absolutely killer
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I also have a Yamaha RC 13x6.5 Brass which is absolutely killer
    I tried that exact snare at the Drum Center of Portsmouth recently and loved it. Also liked the Canopus The Maple.

Maybe the Yamaha is a good choice. I remember it having nice high end snap but a little more overring than the G-maple. But moon gel will take care of that.

User Info Menu

I tried that exact snare at the Drum Center of Portsmouth recently and loved it. Also liked the Canopus The Maple.

Maybe the Yamaha is a good choice. I remember it having nice high end snap but a little more overring than the G-maple. But moon gel will take care of that.
    You are correct. It does ring out slightly so for the first time ever, I have used a single piece of Moongel also. I was going to swap the head for a Genera Dry & experiment with that Fantastic crack to it though with wonderful tones
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I bought a PP Brass Patina from GC and returned it. However, I loved the PP Little Squealer 13x7. I thought it sounded great but the hardware looked a little cheap. I may buy one now or maybe even the PP Pig Lite Acrylic.

User Info Menu

I have only 2 snares and the G-Maple is one if them.....the other is a 6.5x14 Black Beauty....I'll never part with it....it's not being played right now because of the Black Beauty but will always stay. In fact it made the DW bnob expendable so I could get my Saturn V.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Tama SLP G Maple Snare
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" HHX Power Hats
    2 Wuhan 8" splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax