Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Most know about my constant obsession with buying and selling of drum kits the last 7 years or so but I think it is starting to slow down and I am getting close to actually keeping a few kits for longer than 2 years.....Maybe : )

    I loved, loved, loved my Sonor essential force birch, great gigging kit but the green fade color (bass drum opposite) just got tiresome for me and I have recently realized I am purely sparkle/glitter finish guy so I sold it for what I paid for it minus the hardware.. No loss on that one.

    I also love My current Saturn V's, they are much boomier than my old saturn 3's were and I am currently gigging them. The problem again is the finish, which is beautiful but looks like furniture to me and I am just getting bored with it plus the fact it is a 6pc kit and I am currently only playing 1 up and 1 down so I actually have it broken up into 2 kits now. 1 is strictly for practice with unmatched color bass drum.

    So now the plan is to buy a custom ordered 3pc ludwig Classic Maple in either a white sparkle or black galaxy sparkle. Still fine tuning a few things before ordering.

    And I just purchased a Crush Sublime Birch 3 pc kit. I heard and played it a little in GC 2 days ago and was blown away. It ticked all my boxes for a gigging Birch kit, Great initial projection you can only get from birch, They are a gorgeous blue sparkle with natural stripe finish, and come in very hard to find sizes off the floor.. 22 x 16 BD, 12 x 8 Rack tom, and a 16 X 14 Floor tom with memory locks.

    So looking forward to getting this kit next week. So my plan going forward is to play my last gig tomorrow night with the Saturns, put them up for sale, start gigging the crush and when I sell the Saturns I will order the Luddies. After all that I should be done ; )

    I paid $1100 for the 6pc Saturns with a copper dw snare, I sold the snare 2 months ago for $350 so as long as I can get around $700 to $750 for the Saturns I should pretty much break even with them. I will post pics of the Crush when I get it in.

    Wife has given up, I pay for all this with gig money and money I make buying, cleaning and selling cheaper kits so she cannot complain about finances but sometimes I get the impression she really wishes she could...LOL
    Last edited by MDK; 05-30-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Smart move. I’m the same. All my drum/band purchases are financed by gig money. It’s as much my decision as anyone’s. I keep the “hobby” purchases out of the household finances for my own peace of mind. However, I DO occasionally use gig money to buy groceries, pay odd bills, buy myself new clothes, birthday presents, etc. if the need arises.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Smart move. I’m the same. All my drum/band purchases are financed by gig money. It’s as much my decision as anyone’s. I keep the “hobby” purchases out of the household finances for my own peace of mind. However, I DO occasionally use gig money to buy groceries, pay odd bills, buy myself new clothes, birthday presents, etc. if the need arises.
    Yeah I do same thing, bought the wife a new $1100 iPad for our anniversary last year with gig money.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    These are the 2 kits I'm swapping back and forth for gigs. The DC birch kit is not a wrap, it's a lacquer, you can see the wood grain up close! lol. I'm not a sparkle person myself, but my Sonor Safari is Black Galaxy. ( Sonor wrap). I am also trimming down the set up size lately! lol. You'll love your Crush, I love mine!DSC01971.jpgDSC02017.jpg

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Most know about my constant obsession with buying and selling of drum kits the last 7 years or so but I think it is starting to slow down and I am getting close to actually keeping a few kits for longer than 2 years.....Maybe : )

    I loved, loved, loved my Sonor essential force birch, great gigging kit but the green fade color (bass drum opposite) just got tiresome for me and I have recently realized I am purely sparkle/glitter finish guy so I sold it for what I paid for it minus the hardware.. No loss on that one.

    I also love My current Saturn V's, they are much boomier than my old saturn 3's were and I am currently gigging them. The problem again is the finish, which is beautiful but looks like furniture to me and I am just getting bored with it plus the fact it is a 6pc kit and I am currently only playing 1 up and 1 down so I actually have it broken up into 2 kits now. 1 is strictly for practice with unmatched color bass drum.

    So now the plan is to buy a custom ordered 3pc ludwig Classic Maple in either a white sparkle or black galaxy sparkle. Still fine tuning a few things before ordering.

    And I just purchased a Crush Sublime Birch 3 pc kit. I heard and played it a little in GC 2 days ago and was blown away. It ticked all my boxes for a gigging Birch kit, Great initial projection you can only get from birch, They are a gorgeous blue sparkle with natural stripe finish, and come in very hard to find sizes off the floor.. 22 x 16 BD, 12 x 8 Rack tom, and a 16 X 14 Floor tom with memory locks.

    So looking forward to getting this kit next week. So my plan going forward is to play my last gig tomorrow night with the Saturns, put them up for sale, start gigging the crush and when I sell the Saturns I will order the Luddies. After all that I should be done ; )

    I paid $1100 for the 6pc Saturns with a copper dw snare, I sold the snare 2 months ago for $350 so as long as I can get around $700 to $750 for the Saturns I should pretty much break even with them. I will post pics of the Crush when I get it in.

    Wife has given up, I pay for all this with gig money and money I make buying, cleaning and selling cheaper kits so she cannot complain about finances but sometimes I get the impression she really wishes she could...LOL
    I have one of those Crush Sublime's in a cart. I know the kit thoroughly. But I got the Tour Customs instead. I couldn't pass up the deal. But yeah, those Subs are so stunning. You sure we aren't related to Spaz? I wanna see some birth certs, pronto! Both of you!
    Signature here

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    It appears that the Bish-Spaz syndrome is turning into a epidemic. When I quit gigging I had 5 complete sets of drums. 3 were sold, 1 was given away, and I kept the set I bought at Sam Ash around 71-72.

    When I got tired of looking at the black wrap, I re-wrapped them in the finish you see now.

    I don't understand this " I'm buying this set of X because I really wanted them", 2-3 months later "I'm selling X because I don't like them anymore".

    As for the wood they are made from, I doubt that anyone where you are gigging could tell birch from balsa, so the "projection" part goes out the window because nobody in the crowd cares.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It appears that the Bish-Spaz syndrome is turning into a epidemic. When I quit gigging I had 5 complete sets of drums. 3 were sold, 1 was given away, and I kept the set I bought at Sam Ash around 71-72.

    When I got tired of looking at the black wrap, I re-wrapped them in the finish you see now.

    I don't understand this " I'm buying this set of X because I really wanted them", 2-3 months later "I'm selling X because I don't like them anymore".

    As for the wood they are made from, I doubt that anyone where you are gigging could tell birch from balsa, so the "projection" part goes out the window because nobody in the crowd cares.
    Interesting perspective and not without merit. Side note: I do like that new wrap. That was a great choice.

    I'm just giving my take on your statement.

    With the internet and easy access to things not so easy even 20 years ago, this gives us with time, funds, and justification (sometimes, sometimes we make it up for convenience) but overall I love variety and the ability to grasp it, literally.

    I love to be able to immerse myself in this experience called drumming and take it to whatever my limits are. I enjoy the time to shop a new kit, take possession and put it together, make it do it's thing, admire and show it off, then determine its value. Keeper or sleeper. I've never had a kit I didn't like. And now I can back that statement up with facts that will hopefully help others gain knowledge they can put to use. Rick, you have years upon years of great experience to share both road and at home. Others here have great knowledge of drums and when you combine all that, you get good friends and a great forum.

    Summary: this place is awesome due to the people. Drumming is awesome due to what you can make of it either personally or publicly. It's a win, win, whatever your participation level is.

    Did I mention I think it's going to rain?
    Signature here

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Interesting perspective and not without merit. Side note: I do like that new wrap. That was a great choice.

    I'm just giving my take on your statement.

    With the internet and easy access to things not so easy even 20 years ago, this gives us with time, funds, and justification (sometimes, sometimes we make it up for convenience) but overall I love variety and the ability to grasp it, literally.

    I love to be able to immerse myself in this experience called drumming and take it to whatever my limits are. I enjoy the time to shop a new kit, take possession and put it together, make it do it's thing, admire and show it off, then determine its value. Keeper or sleeper. I've never had a kit I didn't like. And now I can back that statement up with facts that will hopefully help others gain knowledge they can put to use. Rick, you have years upon years of great experience to share both road and at home. Others here have great knowledge of drums and when you combine all that, you get good friends and a great forum.

    Summary: this place is awesome due to the people. Drumming is awesome due to what you can make of it either personally or publicly. It's a win, win, whatever your participation level is.

    Did I mention I think it's going to rain?
    Bish, as long as a asteroid or hemorrhoid isn't going to hit my house and blondes, brunettes and redheads (Deja Vu) walk the earth, I'll not worry about the rain.

    (When I bought that wrap and opened the box, I knew I had made the right choice!)
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I have one of those Crush Sublime's in a cart. I know the kit thoroughly. But I got the Tour Customs instead. I couldn't pass up the deal. But yeah, those Subs are so stunning. You sure we aren't related to Spaz? I wanna see some birth certs, pronto! Both of you!
    LOL, if I am related I would be the family member you hope never shows up for the holidays, IE Cousin Eddie!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It appears that the Bish-Spaz syndrome is turning into a epidemic. When I quit gigging I had 5 complete sets of drums. 3 were sold, 1 was given away, and I kept the set I bought at Sam Ash around 71-72.

    When I got tired of looking at the black wrap, I re-wrapped them in the finish you see now.

    I don't understand this " I'm buying this set of X because I really wanted them", 2-3 months later "I'm selling X because I don't like them anymore".

    As for the wood they are made from, I doubt that anyone where you are gigging could tell birch from balsa, so the "projection" part goes out the window because nobody in the crowd cares.
    Yeah most cannot tell but when I play live I can certainly tell when sitting behind the kit playing it and that's what I am going for. Plus I honestly do notice I get more compliments on my kit sound when playing birch shells then any other. whatever that's worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    These are the 2 kits I'm swapping back and forth for gigs. The DC birch kit is not a wrap, it's a lacquer, you can see the wood grain up close! lol. I'm not a sparkle person myself, but my Sonor Safari is Black Galaxy. ( Sonor wrap). I am also trimming down the set up size lately! lol. You'll love your Crush, I love mine!
    Love that DC man, I have always liked their lugs and the whole look of the kit, what type of wood is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

    With the internet and easy access to things not so easy even 20 years ago, this gives us with time, funds, and justification (sometimes, sometimes we make it up for convenience) but overall I love variety and the ability to grasp it, literally.

    I love to be able to immerse myself in this experience called drumming and take it to whatever my limits are. I enjoy the time to shop a new kit, take possession and put it together, make it do it's thing, admire and show it off, then determine its value. Keeper or sleeper. I've never had a kit I didn't like. And now I can back that statement up with facts that will hopefully help others gain knowledge they can put to use. Rick, you have years upon years of great experience to share both road and at home. Others here have great knowledge of drums and when you combine all that, you get good friends and a great forum.

    Summary: this place is awesome due to the people. Drumming is awesome due to what you can make of it either personally or publicly. It's a win, win, whatever your participation level is.

    Did I mention I think it's going to rain?
    Well said Bish, that explains exactly how I feel, I have actually stayed awake at night debating between the Crush sublime and a Pearl masters BCX. I love the whole shopping around, checking different sites for pricing, watching unboxing and review video's of different kits, weighing the plus and minuses of every kit etc etc.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    New Kit arrives tomorrow, get out of work at 5, gotta be at practice 6:15, home 9:30 arrggghhhh Gonna have to sit there till wednesday night
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    New Kit arrives tomorrow, get out of work at 5, gotta be at practice 6:15, home 9:30 arrggghhhh Gonna have to sit there till wednesday night
    Oh the agony. I know it well.
    Signature here

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    This thread has me walking down memory lane. I had 7 acoustic kits and 1 ekit when I was married and had a garage. I'm down to 2 kits now since the divorce, the DW Collectors and the '67 Ludwig Classic Maples. I was always on the quest to find "that" sound in my head...


  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    oh man I hope I never get a divorce... this saddens me seeing/reading that
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 55 Snare drums and growing!

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ....this saddens me seeing/reading that
    Me too man!

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Me too man!
    Trust me, we all took a hit when your life changed.
    Signature here

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Here is my somewhat quick unboxing video..**BEWARE** I have the zoom set to high sensitivity and some things that I put on the metal table sound very loud, even picks up the wind loudly. I will post pics and a review this weekend.. Hoping to gig it at a gig this Monday if I have time enough to get it dialed in.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Sounds like gun fire.....lol

    That kit is different than the one I was looking at. Mine (I wish) was the blue with blue insert.
    Signature here

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Sounds like gun fire.....lol

    That kit is different than the one I was looking at. Mine (I wish) was the blue with blue insert.
    I know, when I 1st listened to it I could not believe that. Literally made no noise in person but I guess it resonated through the metal table. That blue with the Blue insert I believe is a Maple Sublime, they have gold and purple and they look fantastic. I am thinking of getting the Blue maple snare drum to go with this birch kit.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I know, when I 1st listened to it I could not believe that. Literally made no noise in person but I guess it resonated through the metal table. That blue with the Blue insert I believe is a Maple Sublime, they have gold and purple and they look fantastic. I am thinking of getting the Blue maple snare drum to go with this birch kit.
    Yes, I believe you are 100% correct. Your kit looks super. The sunlight on these shells was blindingly awesome.
    Signature here

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    "I've never had a kit I didn't like" (Bish)

    I never spent time with a lady I didn't like, BUT I DIDN'T MARRY ALL OF THEM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I never spent time with a lady I didn't like
    I'd say you got damned lucky.

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I'd say you got damned lucky.

    Marc, you have to read the part that's left unsaid.

    "I never spent any time with a woman I didn't like".
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: MDK's revolving drum kits saga continues.

    Nice looking kit!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •