Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things not to do.

User Info Menu

Default Things not to do.

DSC01505.jpgDSC01512.jpg

Don't stick your hand where a Brown Recluse might live.

You don't even feel the bite. I just happen to pull my arm out and there it was.

I have to keep a eye on it to see if it spreads but so far it's the same size as it was last night.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Things not to do.

We have those here in NE as well. They like to hang out in closets, basements and garages. I’ve never seen one myself, but I know of several people that have been bitten. Not life threatening, but it can do some tissue damage. I hear Whiskey helps...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I hear Whiskey helps...
    On the wound or down the hatch ?

(Yikes, Rick...…………….not good),
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    We have those here in NE as well. They like to hang out in closets, basements and garages. I’ve never seen one myself, but I know of several people that have been bitten. Not life threatening, but it can do some tissue damage. I hear Whiskey helps...
    Whiskey helps anything. Did wonders with my 2nd divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    On the wound or down the hatch ?

(Yikes, Rick...…………….not good),
    It's not a big deal, I just have to watch that it doesn't spread which usually occurs in the 1st 24 hours. It has now been in the area of about 60 hours and it looks the same (maybe a hair lighter) then when I took the pics. (Bish, no pics, then it didn't happen: )

As a side note: In reading about it when it happened, several places including a MD site, said that for all their notoriety, there has never been a case where they can attribute a death directly to either a Black Widow or a Brown Recluse. I'm not really afraid of spiders, I mean I don't want to wake up with 1 crawling over my face, but for those that didn't know, I had a Mexican Red Banded tarantula that lived 35 years and would sit on my shoulder and run it's front legs through my hair. It was probably trying to figure what the hell it was since through millions of years of evolution, it had never run into hair. It was spread out on the glass once, so I grabbed my ruler to measure it. The body was 31/2" long, and from the right front leg to the back left leg was 11". Big she was, yet in all the years, it never tried to bite me once. I do have to admit that the 1st time I picked her up (yes it was a she) I wore welding gloves.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-01-2019 at 05:58 PM.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick, what were you doing? Where was the spider? We have them here in VA too.

User Info Menu

Rick. I believe you. I think we have them around here too but I don't see them or recall ever seeing one. I usually hang with the garden spiders and get my spring dose of karate lessons.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Rick, what were you doing? Where was the spider? We have them here in VA too.

It was in a pile of wood that I was going to put in front of my house. I never felt anything, but when I took my hand out there was the spider just bopping down my hand.

Just don't stick your hand in old wood piles.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Rick. I believe you. I think we have them around here too but I don't see them or recall ever seeing one. I usually hang with the garden spiders and get my spring dose of karate lessons.
    Most spiders would rather get out of your way unless they are trapped or feel threatened.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It was in a pile of wood that I was going to put in front of my house. Just don't stick your hand in old wood piles.
    Man, I have done that so many times, helping my father in law through the years. I've been lucky!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Man, I have done that so many times, helping my father in law through the years. I've been lucky!
    Just wear gloves.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

See Your Doctor!

Something I found about a home type treatment:

First, you need to go visit the fish supply section of your local Wal-Mart or other pet store or department.

Pick up some activated carbon – either in tablets or powder – and put it in a small bottle in your bug-out bag’s med kit.

You’re going to make a charcoal poultice to treat that bite:

Pour the carbon into a plastic baggie and put that bag into a second baggie.
    Roll or crush the baggie with a rolling pin or something else that can be used to crush the carbon even finer.
    Put the powder inside a clean cloth and secure the cloth to the wound. It will help draw out the infection and absorb moisture, which will hopefully help prevent infection.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 06-02-2019 at 12:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    See Your Doctor!

Something I found about a home type treatment:

First, you need to go visit the fish supply section of your local Wal-Mart or other pet store or department.

Pick up some activated carbon – either in tablets or powder – and put it in a small bottle in your bug-out bag’s med kit.

You’re going to make a charcoal poultice to treat that bite:

Pour the carbon into a plastic baggie and put that bag into a second baggie.
    Roll or crush the baggie with a rolling pin or something else that can be used to crush the carbon even finer.
    Put the powder inside a clean cloth and secure the cloth to the wound. It will help draw out the infection and absorb moisture, which will hopefully help prevent infection.
    LIKE [button function]
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm with Olimpass, go see your doctor. I have seen the after effects many times, and heard many horror stories, of infection and tissue damage. Take care of yourself.

User Info Menu

DSC01524.jpg

This is roughly 72 (maybe more) hours after the bite.

There no necrosis, but I will probably have some sort of mark there.

C'est La Vie

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Whoa..yikes..doesn't look too much different but I'd still worry enough to get it checked out.
    pick of brown recluse...
    recluse.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 06-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Geez, Rick, I think I can see bone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on it Rick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Geez, Rick, I think I can see bone.

Geez, Bish, I think I can see Jennifer Lawrence and Brie Larson walking down my street, but it's no on both counts.

I know it looks bad but it's all on the surface.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Keep an eye on it Rick!
    Rich, I watch it, but after what has to be at least 96 hours, I think if something was going to be a problem it would have happened by now.

Usually being itchy, sore, necrosis, happen in the 1st 24 hours, but I do still keep a eye on it.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

/2DSC01530.jpg

After about 6 days.

It may not look that great in the photo, but sitting here, with some scotch, and looking at it, it is starting to lighten up.

I was told that I was probably bitten by a male Brown Recluse. They can inject only about 1/2 the venom that the female can.

The 1 spider you don't want here is the Sidney (AUS) Funnel Web spider. I watched a vid on you tube about it and they said that I person went from bite to death in 76 minutes. They are only (so far) in Australia, and are very aggressive.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick, I didn't know there was a difference between male and female with regard to the bite. You're lucky!

User Info Menu

You learn that as soon as you get married!!!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

It does look a bit like it's clearing up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Definitely on the "things to not let happen if possible" list. Shot of bourbon will help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    /2DSC01530.jpg

I was told that I was probably bitten by a male Brown Recluse. They can inject only about 1/2 the venom that the female can.
    That explains it then...
    He didn’t mean to bite you. Probably just a “cry for help”...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham