Thread: Newbe to Snare & Hi-Hat

User Info Menu

Default Newbe to Snare & Hi-Hat

Hi Guys

Complete newbe to Snare & Hi-Hat ,Your advice most welcome on the following questions. Into the 'jazzier' side of life.

a) Recently bought a 12" metal snare--two small for a good sound?
    b) Wood or metal rim for jazz?
    c) Is the snare head less important than the top head?
    d) There are a number of snare practice 'soundoff' pads to put on the snare head--which is the best make to dampen the sound for practice but still gives bounce on the sticks?
    e) Regards the Hi-Hat. Same questions regarding practice pads.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbe to Snare & Hi-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by two handed luke View Post
    Hi Guys

Complete newbe to Snare & Hi-Hat ,Your advice most welcome on the following questions. Into the 'jazzier' side of life.

a) Recently bought a 12" metal snare--two small for a good sound?
    Not definitely but probably.

b) Wood or metal rim for jazz?
    I played both jazz and R&R with metal snares.

c) Is the snare head less important than the top head?
    You mean the reso head and the batter head. They are both equally important.

d) There are a number of snare practice 'soundoff' pads to put on the snare head--which is the best make to dampen the sound for practice but still gives bounce on the sticks?
    Go to your local music store and ask. They should be able to give you what you need.

e) Regards the Hi-Hat. Same questions regarding practice pads.
    Same as above>

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    This is my take on it.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-02-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, Luke.

With all things sound related, it's more perspective than opinion.

I've never used a 12" snare drum but what I know is they do make a good side snare for special effects. Both heads of the snare are important but the snare side less so as there is probably fewer choices. Top heads are determined by type and style of music you play. If you use brushes you want a coated head, if you want projection go with clear on the simplest of levels.

Hi-hats are all over the place. I didn't understand if you are asking about the cymbals themselves or a hat stand. Some use as small as 13" and some go crazy with 16". Me I'm in the middle sticking to 14" with a bit of curiosity to try different sizes but I'm not looking for any particular sound I don't already have so I'm not much for experimentation with purchasing several different size hats and trying them all out.

Sometimes your ears and budget will drive you down the road you are seeking.

I hope this helps some. I don't have as much information as Rick provided, however.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My personal opinion;
    I think a 12” metal snare would be too bright for my taste in Jazz. If I were to start from scratch, I’d say a 14” wood snare...preferably mahogany or maple. I’d go triple flange metal hoops (standard), just because I think cast or wood hoops would kill too much of the overtones that add to the tone.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham