Thread: Snare--Heads / Brushes

User Info Menu

Default Snare--Heads / Brushes

What type of head (coatings) for snare would you recommend for sticks and brush work---for the 'jazz'ier side of life?

Regarding brushwork: Are all brushes equal?---best makes?

(Newbie here)

Your advice welcome.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare--Heads / Brushes

From everything I've been told and what I've learned you'll need a coated "rough" head for the brushes to be effective. Brushes come in more than one flavor. I know there are metal and there are plastic brushes. Metal are a bit harsher and can draw blood. They are also more robust and will usually outlast the head. As far as how one performs over the other, I don't use brushes as intended. I use them to clean out the crud between the hoop and the head.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I like Aquarian texture coated as it's pretty durable.

Brushes have different materials and different gauges of materials. Mainly there are wire and nylon. Past that there are different thicknesses of wire and nylon. All have their own sound. You should go to a good music store and try them out. The only question you need to ask yourself is, What do I want to hear?
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

There's retractable ones available to prevent bent wires. That was a good idea for the brushes.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I should have mentioned that a working drummer will have more than one set of brushes, to accommodate different playing situations.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I went to a Jeff Hamilton clinic and one of the questions asked of him was what type of snare batter is best for brush work and he said and I quote: "a coated one". Nothing specific was narrowed down or brand name mentioned.

But as far as brushes, I found the Chad Wakerman BR-CW Paintstick to be the best of both worlds; a stick/brush hybrid:

Here's a demo with Chad playing the Paintbrush: