Thread: Opinions on my first drum set?

User Info Menu

Default Opinions on my first drum set?

Hello there,

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this post but I couldn't find a better one myself.

I have lurked these forums for some time but finally decided to register and post because I am planning to buy my first drum set. I have looked at a number of forums, posts, and reviews and feel like the best set I can buy for the money I have is the Tama IE52C Imperialstar Drum Kit. I am just curious for any thought or opinions any of you may have. Would you buy this set starting out? Would you recommend a different set? Do any of you have any experience with the specific drum set?

Thanks in advance and I really enjoy this forum!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Opinions on my first drum set?

Welcome and thanks for joining.

From the description on the TAMA website, it looks like a good kit. Have you got a budget and have you decided on cymbals, drum throne, drum pedal or any other hardware you may want?

Not to mention, you'll probably want to get new heads at some point and well, ya gotta have sticks.

There's a lot of choices. I don't know your price point but if you haven't already, take a look at Yamaha Stage Customs. From personal experience, I haven't found a better value for a quality kit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

We have to know your budget, and what you need? Are you buying the whole complete kit, with cymbals, stands, bass drum pedal etc or just the drum set?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    We have to know your budget, and what you need? Are you buying the whole complete kit, with cymbals, stands, bass drum pedal etc or just the drum set?
    I read a link on the TAMA website and it looks like it comes with everything for $700.00 according to some on line sites. I know the cymbals aren't great but for a first timer/ kit, it looks like a pretty good deal. Definitely something that can be built on or easily traded up at some point.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys. It does come with the cymbals and hardware and throne. I know they aren't the best but I imagine they will do until I can afford some upgrades.

User Info Menu

Welcome Cyberius! Your new kit is fine. Everyone has their own starting point and you are on your way. Now go have some fun.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. Try scouring your local craigslist or FB Marketplace for a used set as well. Many times you will find great deals on killer kits for the price of the Tama you are looking at. As Bish stated, Yamaha Stage Customs are a huge value. I picked up my whole first kit for $700 and it was a Stage Custom with full set of Zildjian ZBT (since traded up), hardware, throne, and drum bags. It may take a little searching, but you can usually find a great kit in your range.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

A quick search of CL in Seattle, These would all be better options, Plus when your ready to upgrade you wont lose much if any money at all like you will with a new Tama Imp. star.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The imperial star is a fine kit. It will last you many years if you take care of it.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

Gee Pou Guest

I would start with what you can afford and then upgrade later as your budget allows without breaking the bank. Most kits come with cheap cymbals and hardware just to make the kit complete. More expensive kits come only with shells and you have the option of buying your own hardware and cymbals if you can afford that route. Either way good luck and Tama are a great brand no doubt.

User Info Menu

I would definitely explore used. It's a buyer's market and you can usually get good gear in great condition for about half of what it would cost new. A good set of cymbals often costs more than the shell pack, so if you can find a used kit that includes cymbals and hardware you'll be way ahead of the game. Do your research and narrow it down to a few kits that you'd like and you'll more than likely find someone with one for sale. BTW you can't go wrong with ANYTHING by TAMA IMHO.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. The Tama kit in question looks great. I think it would make a great starter kit. But as others have posted, the used market for drums and cymbals is a buyers market right now. The best time to look for great bargains on CL is July - September. As a beginner, you may not know the value of some of the gear out there but if you do some homework, you can see where the fair market value falls on a lot of the kits for sale.

Tama IE52C Imperialstar Drum Kit:

Untitled.jpg