Thread: Drummers / Musicians ... Social Media

User Info Menu

Default Drummers / Musicians ... Social Media

The younger generation gets it, but if you're a bit older, you might be underestimating the power of social media. If you want the really good gigs, put yourself out there! The band 'Five Finger Death Punch' found their new drummer, Charlie Engen, on Instagram.

Article: https://loudwire.com/five-finger-dea...mer-instagram/

What is your social media presence like? How important is it to you for finding gigs?

IMG_7910.JPG
    http://www.charlieengen.com

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers / Musicians ... Social Media

man I tell you what I wish I would have done better jumping on that social media train back when it started

User Info Menu

Does make 1 wonder how in the hell did we make it from the '50's to the early '90's.

Oh, I remember now, telephones and word of mouth seemed to do the trick. Kept me busy from '61 till 2005 (2007 if I count the trio I played in).

If Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Smart Phones, et al, all disappeared tomorrow, the younger generation would have to learn how to dial a phone and get up off their a$$ and have to actually walk to the TV to change the channel. Catastrophic downfall of communication would occur.

The old timers would go on like nothing happened.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

What is this thing you call Social Media?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It's where the antisocial can get together and pretend like they know each other. They tell where they are, where they were, why they were there, where they are going, why they are going there, and they'll let you know when they leave.

Personally I think it's stupid. People spend $xxx on smart phones that in 4-6 months will be stupid phones because the new 1 that cost $xxx will be smarter and the old 1 will be obsolete.

There's a show where the guy will go to a college campus. He will stop college students and ask them simple questions that we knew by the 4th grade. 2 girls were asked who the 1st president was------------they didn't know. A guy was asked who did we declare our independence from, his answer--------------------------Virginia. My friends son, a high school grad, didn't know if Mexico was north or south of us.

Can't blame it all on social media, but the guy who wrote "The Dumbing Down Of America" wondered why that and social media coinside.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Sounds like a rollicking place to hang with the homies.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if social media was around when we older guys were in our prime. I mean the contacts alone open up so many more doors. I'm friends on Facebook with many of the musicians in the Progressive Metal bands I listen to. I've had several conversations with many of them through Facebook messenger and at one point I was even asked if I were still playing because a fairly successful band from Norway was looking for a drummer. Had it been 1990 instead of 2017 when I was asked who knows , my career may have been completely different.

Yeah I stayed busy full time for 14 years , but all I was doing was playing cover tunes which eventually led to me hanging it up very early at age 31 out of pure boredom. If social media had been around I most likely could have found like minded musicians and continued on even up until today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if social media was around when we older guys were in our prime. I mean the contacts alone open up so many more doors. I'm friends on Facebook with many of the musicians in the Progressive Metal bands I listen to. I've had several conversations with many of them through Facebook messenger and at one point I was even asked if Iwere still playing because a fairly successful band from Norway was looking for a drummer. Had it been 1990 instead of 2017 when I was asked who knows , my career may have been completely different.

Yeah I stayed busy full time for 14 years , but all I was doing was playing cover tunes which eventually led to me hanging it up very early at age 31 out of pure boredom. If social media had been around I most likely could have found like minded musicians and continued on even up until today.

It wouldn't have worked. You have to have all the stuff that would be necessary for it to work. Like smart TV's but no cable. Early PC's, useless except to play pong and space invaders.

We got booked all the way to the west coast just on word of mouth and phone calls.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Social media is a valuable resource for the band. Band's footprint on social media is pretty large and it enables us to get exposure and therefore gigs. We don't even have a website. No need. Between FB, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and ReverbNation.......the word gets out. My personal social media footprint is small. If I were doing this for a living and had aspirations of doing more than I currently am, then, I'd up a lot more effort into the personal exposure. Wish this stuff were available when I was paying the bills doing this.