Thread: First gig with the Tour Customs

User Info Menu

Default First gig with the Tour Customs

No special micing and I'd forgotten my tripod......If you can remember...never get old.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: First gig with the Tour Customs

Sounding good Bish. Where would you put them in your current list of favorite kits you have/had?
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Sounding good Bish. Where would you put them in your current list of favorite kits you have/had?
    To be honest, whatever kit is set up and tuned. I can't decide. They all have merit, sound great and are easy to set up due to the same hardware no matter the kit. For gigging purposes, if I narrow it down, the Stage Customs are currently choice #1 due to it being fully modified for gigging convenience and it's a complete 3 up 2 down, so all basses are covered. 2nd reason for the Stage Customs is I've modded the floor toms to work without their legs. I've grown to really like "racking" the floor toms. I hate the leg design on most floor toms. The Tours follow very closely in 2nd place and the Live Customs (Oak) are a very close third due to their thundering punchiness and sporting a 22x14" bass drum for depth considerations.

Any one of them will more than fill the bill.

I've definitely settled on Yamaha for a while. If predictions are true, I see a Crush future coming next but it might be a while. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    To be honest, whatever kit is set up and tuned. I can't decide. They all have merit, sound great and are easy to set up due to the same hardware no matter the kit. For gigging purposes, if I narrow it down, the Stage Customs are currently choice #1 due to it being fully modified for gigging convenience and it's a complete 3 up 2 down, so all basses are covered. 2nd reason for the Stage Customs is I've modded the floor toms to work without their legs. I've grown to really like "racking" the floor toms. I hate the leg design on most floor toms. The Tours follow very closely in 2nd place and the Live Customs (Oak) are a very close third due to their thundering punchiness and sporting a 22x14" bass drum for depth considerations.

Any one of them will more than fill the bill.

I've definitely settled on Yamaha for a while. If predictions are true, I see a Crush future coming next but it might be a while. lol
    The nice thing for everyone on this forum is that if we have questions on almost every kit made, we know you have most of them covered lol.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

Gee Pou Guest

Kit sounds great Bish especially the snare .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    The nice thing for everyone on this forum is that if we have questions on almost every kit made, we know you have most of them covered lol.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. It takes all of us since we may all have a bit of a different perspective. With all the information we can gather here, it really should make us all a bit more knowledgeable when we spend our hard earned money on important stuff like drum gear.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Pou View Post
    Kit sounds great Bish especially the snare .
    Thanks, Gee Pou. The snare is my TAMA Starphonic COB. The only snare I've owned longer is my Mapex maple Black Panther. They both have survived the 10 year plan. ahahahahahaa
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice pocket Mark! I like the snare too. One suggestion, I'd tune your bass drum slightly higher than where the bass guitar sits in the mix. It sounds like you guys are playing in the same low end frequency and it sounds a little muddy. IMHO, with the bass player being a busy player, your kick needs to stand out a bit more.

User Info Menu

Looks & sounds great. was offered an oak Live Custom today.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

My perspective is quite simple. I sit over here with a scotch and look over there. That's as far as my perspective on things go in my old age.

When I was younger, my perspective was a little different. I used binoculars. You could never tell when a blonde might walk across the beach in a bikini. There are certain sights that, as a man, you shouldn't miss.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I liked the snare too.. and everything else cymbals included the hi hat accents were cool ..

Can't go wrong with Yamaha equipment.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Sounds good.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reviews. Late8, the problem was the bass bin was below the table top so the camera missed most of the low end. I was less than happy. Oh well.

Here's another one. Played the lazy version Saturday night.

Signature here

User Info Menu

and another...December

Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice job bud, kit sounds good. I like the snare especially. What kind of camera did you record this with and does it have a remote control. I have a zoom hn4 or something like that, records great except it has no remote way to start it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice job bud, kit sounds good. I like the snare especially. What kind of camera did you record this with and does it have a remote control. I have a zoom hn4 or something like that, records great except it has no remote way to start it.
    Thanks, MDK. We haven't played in a month and had no rehearsals so I'm surprised it went as well as it did. Unfortunately, the 4th set is where the place was packed and everyone was going crazy. Camera battery....no bueno. GRRRRR

Mine and I think Rick have a Zoom Q8. No remote. Very annoying. lol

And especially annoying is when you forget the tripod. DOH
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks, MDK. We haven't played in a month and had no rehearsals so I'm surprised it went as well as it did.
    Always makes me a bit anxious when you need to do a gig without having gotten together for a while.

User Info Menu

Thanks, MDK. We haven't played in a month and had no rehearsals so I'm surprised it went as well as it did. Unfortunately, the 4th set is where the place was packed and everyone was going crazy. Camera battery....no bueno. GRRRRR

Mine and I think Rick have a Zoom Q8. No remote. Very annoying. lol

And especially annoying is when you forget the tripod. DOH

I to have a Q-8, no remote, stupid. They have remote controls for just about everything. Our 1st TV that I remember was a 13" Philco. Our remote control was my mother or father saying "Rick, go put it on channel 7". that was the closest we got to remote control. We got channels 2,4,5,7,9,11, then you could go to the UHF channels. I was also the rabbit ears adjuster, which sometimes went into a hour to get a picture. By the time you got the picture zeroed in, the show you wanted to watch was over.

When they make a remote control that doles out TP for you, on that day, I will know that we have gone too far
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS