Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kit you've had the longest?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kit you've had the longest?

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Was it like my XPK?
    Attachment 16349
    Attachment 16350

Technically, this is the kit that I’ve owned the 2nd longest....about 6yrs or something like that. It was the first kit that I bought to refurbish. The BD had been painted with black spray paint and the Spurs and “rock-loc” were broke. It now looks like new and sits in cases in my basement.
    That's exactly it....it was a double bass 7pc kit... I traded in the 18 floor tom because I didn't really use 2 floor toms. The drums weighed a ton too.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

The kit I've had the longest is a 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple. I bought it in 2007, after starting out on a Ddrum D2 stencil kit the year before. I have convinced myself that the drummer actually was inside me, so I wanted a kit that could go the distance with me. Along the way, I picked up a 4 piece 80's Gretsch Catalina Elite Jazz kit, and with my retirement, I gifted it to my praise band drummer, since he only had an e-kit to play. The 6 piece kit is still with me. I'd post a picture of it, but I need a new hosting site to do it. I refuse to play photobucket, and they're getting more restrictive all the time, to force the payment.
    I'll post a pic when I can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The kit I've had the longest is a 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple. I bought it in 2007, after starting out on a Ddrum D2 stencil kit the year before. I have convinced myself that the drummer actually was inside me, so I wanted a kit that could go the distance with me. Along the way, I picked up a 4 piece 80's Gretsch Catalina Elite Jazz kit, and with my retirement, I gifted it to my praise band drummer, since he only had an e-kit to play. The 6 piece kit is still with me. I'd post a picture of it, but I need a new hosting site to do it. I refuse to play photobucket, and they're getting more restrictive all the time, to force the payment.
    I'll post a pic when I can.
    Can't wait for the pic. You should be able to upload directly from a saved picture on your computer (that's how I do it).
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

1988 Ludwig Super Classic 4-ply maple/poplar/maple in natural finish, (2) 14x22, 8x8, 9x10, 10x12, 14x14 ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 06-28-2019 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    That's exactly it....it was a double bass 7pc kit... I traded in the 18 floor tom because I didn't really use 2 floor toms. The drums weighed a ton too.
    I believe it’s called Black Shadow. Yes...they are VERY heavy! Super thick shells, Merranti (high end Luan) with a finish ply of Birch. The overall quality and finish is as good or better than Ive seen on ANY drums, at ANY price. They sure do project...especially with the power toms. Great for live & unmic’d gigs. I never play mine anymore, but I’ve kept them just because they are that good.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought this kit brand new in 2003.

Tama Starclassic Maple

User Info Menu

I had a 6 peice Yamaha Stage (Original Stage Series) - from 1984-2001. Was still a great playing kit when I sold it for a Tama kit.

User Info Menu

1997 DW Collectors. Still playing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Nineteen years on my Pacific CX kit that I bought new. I've had a string of top-level kits over the years, but none has brought me the pleasure and reliability that these have. I guess I'll keep them 'till I kick the bucket.

GeeDeeEmm

First Drum Set, First Band 009.jpg

User Info Menu

I think it's a tie between the kit I have now, a Pearl Masters BCX, bought new in 2015 and a Tama Starclassic Performer B/B kit I bought in 2008 and had up until 2012. Usually I've been having a habit of changing kits every 2-3 years, but lately I've had to prioritize bigger expenses than drums (house, car, kid... etc), so I think those days are about done now. Helps that I finally settled with drums I like both the quality and sound of as well, of course. And it's kind of a big hassle when I want to have a big doublebass kit, both selling the one I have for a good enough price and waiting for a new one about the same size...
    Last edited by Marius84; 09-18-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black (birch), 22x18"x2/10x8"/12x9"/13x10"/14x14"/16x16"
    Snares: 14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze, 13x5" Mapex Black Panther DL Cherry Bomb
    Paiste cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads

User Info Menu

For me it is my 1984 or 83 Pearl Exports that my dad bought me when I was 4 or 5 years old in silver satin they have been refinished 3 times and are now an electric conversion kit.

User Info Menu

Still have my 1980 Slingies along with 6 0ther kits! lol.DSC02073.jpgDSC02068.jpg

User Info Menu

Bish some of your pics aren't showing lately. When I followed the image urls (I manually put them in), it says the images have been removed. Just thought you'd like to know. I don't know if you can see what we're seeing on your end. We're seeing a small black box most of the time.

User Info Menu

These days I own some really nice drum gear, at least in my opinion. It was not always so. In 1975 I was a 16 year old kid playing a beat to death set of blue sparkle 1960s drums. I traded a bass bought at a five and ten for that drum kit. Needless to say, it was not exactly high end equipment.

A drummer friend of mine were at a great local drum shop called "DRUMS" to pick up sticks or maybe a drum head. In the window was the coolest kit that I'd ever seen. It was brand new Slingerlands in a black chrome finish. (Slingerland called it "Blakrome".) The bass drum was virgin, the 12" and 13" toms were mounted on a separate stand, very unusual for that time. I fell in love with that kit.

I don't remember what it cost, it didn't matter. It was way out of reach of this high school boy.

A few years later I bought a nice, clean, used set of 1965 champagne sparkle Slingerlands. I was the second owner, and that kit was great. I owned that kit and gigged a lot in Pittsburgh, and later, in south Florida with that kit. Unfortunately, in my early twenties (the early 1980s) I ran into financial issues which meant selling off my most precious possessions, my Slingerlands.

It was a lot of years before I owned a really nice kit again, but I did own several kits and gigged through the rest of that decade and the beginning of the next. In 1991 I was run over by a truck. Yes, a truck. I was on my motorcycle, and a "gentleman" in a truck missed an exit and took me out. My left side was crushed, it was questionable whether I'd walk again, much less play the drums. My hospital and physical therapy bills totaled over $600,000, you can refer to me as the .6 million dollar man... Insurance covered most of this, but in order to live I again had to sell my worldly possessions, my Sea Doo, my motorcycles, and my drums in order to live.

Fast forward to early 1992. I was living back in Pittsburgh, and my physical therapist thought that I might try to incorporate drumming into my physical therapy. A good friend took me out shopping for drums. "DRUMS", the shop where I used to shop as a teenager had been out of business for a few years, we went to another shop, called Drum World to see what they had available used. Back in the corner of the store was a set of 1975 blakrome Slingerlands with a virgin bass. Could it be?

Inside each drum was a chrome sticker from the shop where the kit was originally sold. "DRUMS"! By this point, seventeen years after I first saw them in a drum shop window they had some wear and tear, but it was still a cool kit. I bought it on the spot, and still own it today. If you look closely you can see the chrome sticker inside the bass drum. This photo was taken of the kit in 2008.

So, in answer to the question I've owned these Slingerlands since 1992, but I fell in love with them in 1975.

1975 Slingerlands in 2008.jpg
    Last edited by drummer5359; 01-18-2022 at 05:14 AM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    These days I own some really nice drum gear, at least in my opinion. It was not always so. In 1975 I was a 16 year old kid playing a beat to death set of blue sparkle 1960s drums. I traded a bass bought at a five and ten for that drum kit. Needless to say, it was not exactly high end equipment.

A drummer friend of mine were at a great local drum shop called "DRUMS" to pick up sticks or maybe a drum head. In the window was the coolest kit that I'd ever seen. It was brand new Slingerlands in a black chrome finish. (Slingerland called it "Blakrome".) The bass drum was virgin, the 12" and 13" toms were mounted on a separate stand, very unusual for that time. I fell in love with that kit.

I don't remember what it cost, it didn't matter. It was way out of reach of this high school boy.

A few years later I bought a nice, clean, used set of 1965 champagne sparkle Slingerlands. I was the second owner, and that kit was great. I owned that kit and gigged a lot in Pittsburgh, and later, in south Florida with that kit. Unfortunately, in my early twenties (the early 1980s) I ran into financial issues which meant selling off my most precious possessions, my Slingerlands.

It was a lot of years before I owned a really nice kit again, but I did own several kits and gigged through the rest of that decade and the beginning of the next. In 1991 I was run over by a truck. Yes, a truck. I was on my motorcycle, and a "gentleman" in a truck missed an exit and took me out. My left side was crushed, it was questionable whether I'd walk again, much less play the drums. My hospital and physical therapy bills totaled over $600,000, you can refer to me as the .6 million dollar man... Insurance covered most of this, but in order to live I again had to sell my worldly possessions, my Sea Doo, my motorcycles, and my drums in order to live.

Fast forward to early 1992. I was living back in Pittsburgh, and my physical therapist thought that I might try to incorporate drumming into my physical therapy. A good friend took me out shopping for drums. "DRUMS", the shop where I used to shop as a teenager had been out of business for a few years, we went to another shop, called Drum World to see what they had available used. Back in the corner of the store was a set of 975 blackrome Slingerlands with a virgin bass. Could it be?

Inside each drum was a chrome sticker from the shop where the kit was originally old. "DRUMS"! By this point, seventeen years after I first saw them in a drum shop window they had some wear and tear, but it was still a cool kit. I bought it on the spot, and still own it today. If you look closely you can see the chrome sticker inside the bass drum. This photo was taken of the kit in 2008.

So, in answer to the question I've owned these Slingerlands since 1992, but I fell in love with them in 1975.

1975 Slingerlands in 2008.jpg
    That is quite possibly one of the coolest stories I have read on this forum. Thanks for sharing it! Oh, and those drums are sweet!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    That is quite possibly one of the coolest stories I have read on this forum. Thanks for sharing it! Oh, and those drums are sweet!
    Thank you. They still come out to play every once in a while, here they are at a gig in February of this year. 1975 Slingerland kit at Luannes Route 68.jpg
    -Mike

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

-Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

These days this kit lives where my current band rehearses. I bought this kit in 1992, so it will be thirty years since I brought them home. (It's been a long time, but I'd guess that I bought it in August or September of that year.)

1975 Slingerlands in 2021.jpg
    Last edited by drummer5359; 01-18-2022 at 05:16 AM.
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I also came across a photo of them in my apartment in 1992, when I first bought them.

1975 Slingerlands in 1992.jpg
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

In 1970 I bought a three piece Red Mist Ludwig Standard set.The snare is still in rotation.The bass is part of my small practice/jamming set.Lost the tom in a garage fire.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

From the 90's. I wish I still had the first kit I ever owned. That would be cool.

User Info Menu

My 1st set was Kents. Blue Pearl, 1 up 1 down and the only wood snare I ever played. They were used when I got them (my family didn't know if I would quit after a couple of months) in 1956. I have no idea where they are now.

I'm a natural lefty but the only sets I saw were set up for a righty so I thought that was how they were supposed to be set up.

................and so it goes--Linda Ellerbee
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

My first kit was a Beverley. I’m guessing this was a bop size. I think this pic is from 1973.
    19CFBEB3-C2AD-474C-A668-27CC416B1DEE.jpg
    I no longer have it but wish I did. I do however still have the first snare drum I’ve ever purchased in 1972. My Sonor snare drum.
    F177DAB2-DC71-4D12-8476-4A25A8DA8B97.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 01-20-2022 at 12:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I got my Sonor at 4 years of age.. I'm 38 and still own it and play it.

User Info Menu

Many great kits here with history....mine is a TAMA Rockstar. Originally bought used in '92 when I was 14. Worked a whole year to pay for them and split the bill with my old man as a x-mas present. Anyway, it came as a 9-piece kit but over the years I downsized. I am now looking for a new kit but just haven't decided on what my new baby will be...