Thread: Returning to the Kit and Needing an Overhaul --

User Info Menu

Question Returning to the Kit and Needing an Overhaul --

Hey folks,

New to this group -- I found a lot here to learn and it's great! I have been playing since I was a pup but at the turn of the new year, I picked up playing again after a 20+ year hiatus. My kit is a TAMA Rockstar I got in '92 and let's just say, it needs replacing. I have spent a great deal of time getting caught up on so many facets of the industry that have changed and it's pleasantly exhausting.

I am looking at picking up a new kit though by mid summer and I figured I would turn here for inspiration and guidance on my next purchase. I am thinking of staying away from TAMA since that's all I ever played the entirety of my life and I want to play something different.

Here's what I am looking at:

~$2k budget (+/- $200); I play mainly metal and want a kit that projects with this setup --
    -- 2 up/2 down (10/12/16/18/22 -- but would settle for the 14/16 floors); and I want to stay away from toms mounted on the kick.

I have my eye on these kits:

• Mapex Saturn 5-piece Studioease
    • Tama Starclassic Performer
    • Pearl Session Studio Select

I appreciate you taking the time to read this post.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Returning to the Kit and Needing an Overhaul --

There are many great used kits out there (in good condition) selling in your price range.
    I would add Ludwig Classic Maple and Gretsch Renown to your list.
    All of these shells discussed here will work for your genre; the projection will be a function of the heads you choose and the way you play them.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 04-16-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My DW Performance series projects massively but is controlled. My Yamaha AHMs are more refined and focused. Just for comparison.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I love my Saturn drums. Here is a picture of them. Peace and goodwill.

100_0563.JPG
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Sweet color scheme

User Info Menu

I am using a mix of maple and birch but for loud punch birch and oak would be something to look at.

I never played the Yamaha oak but they're supposed to be pretty loud but also pricey. Even punchier could be a set of acrylics but I hear they are prone to cracking around lugs.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Being kind of a Tama guy I'd say the Starclassic Performer would be a great upgrade after Rockstars. Can do all the Metal or other styles really well.