Thread: This is very frustrating

User Info Menu

Default This is very frustrating

It seems like I've been trying for years to get my chops back in top form and well , I have. The problem is I'm older now and the work I do for a living has taken a toll on my body. I also put some of the blame on the 6 years I spent playing an E-kit. Hitting semi hard pads 4 to 5 nights a week instead of drum heads has definitely done some damage. Time behind the kit is also a problem , I work an 8 to 10 hour day , painting inside and out , lots of bending , kneeling , climbing , lifting, so when I get home most days there is just no way I'm going to play my kit. So that gives me one or two days a week that I can spend some time playing.

The problem , when I do sit down to play, after an hour or so I just have to stop. My knees , ankles, elbows , wrists , joints ache. So While I'm trying to build my stamina back up I can't, because I end up stopping after what would be a set and a quarter if I were playing in a band.

I've had several offers this year to take over the drumming job in some really top bands in my area, I've told them all the same thing, I'm interested but I need to get my chops back , I'll contact you when I'm ready. Well it looks like I'll never be ready. Guess it's time to officially hang up the thought of playing out again. I'm going to keep at it , it's just frustrating that something that once came so easy now seems unattainable. I'll keep playing in my basement as long as possible , it's still enjoyable for the first hour anyway. I'm going to try walking more and doing some bike riding and see if that helps the joints , to bad there is not a way to oil them.........

Rock on
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 06-22-2019 at 06:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: This is very frustrating

That is really too bad. I am not looking forward to the day when that happens to me, and it will of course. Happens to everyone.

Gee Pou Guest

As we age our bodies cannot take the beating it use to. Depending on what you did in the past can impact your older years. Example Neil Peart had to retire (62) because of chronic tendonitis, a foot injury and shoulder problems. Good luck to you and hope you can find a way to ease the pain and keep on drumming.

User Info Menu

I'm not a druggy and mostly don't condone pain meds....I barely take an aspirin for headaches, which thankfully are few and far between.

But some days, it's just too much. I found taking a handful (for me up to six) Ibuprofen and then about 45 minutes later I can feel my body relaxing and most painful parts dissipate.

It's usually the next day that I notice the stiffness from the gig the previous night and the IB does help to relax.

Other than that, the show goes on pain or not.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I wouldn't give up just yet. Talk to your doctor about this issue and see if he's got a solution. You never know. The right drugs might be able to help you. I'm not a big fan of drugs either but sometimes we just need them you know? It's part of getting older. I can tell you, if the phone's still ringing, you're still ahead of the game. After a while, it won't ring anymore and you'll be forgotten about. Best to see if you can find a solution now while you're still in demand. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I wouldn't give up just yet. Talk to your doctor about this issue and see if he's got a solution. You never know. The right drugs might be able to help you. I'm not a big fan of drugs either but sometimes we just need them you know? It's part of getting older. I can tell you, if the phone's still ringing, you're still ahead of the game. After a while, it won't ring anymore and you'll be forgotten about. Best to see if you can find a solution now while you're still in demand. Good luck!
    NP -- I really agree with Tom's advice -- you are not done yet.
    I'll be 66 in August and I'm gigging all I can...............I confess it is harder than it used to be.
    We have a private party this Saturday and it will be a very hot outdoor event -- not my favorite fun but I'll tough it out and look like I'm enjoying it like all the rest.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)