Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gone Waaay Too Long

User Info Menu

Default Gone Waaay Too Long

**sheepishly stepping through the side door**

For those who may remember me, it's nice to be able to be back. When I left, it was because I had been assigned to a new church, and the ministry there required a great deal more of my time. I hated to be inactive here, but the ministry had to come first. So what has changed? After serving the church in Clarksville, TN for the last 8 years, I have finally arrived at retirement. My daughter and her husband asked if I would retire, come live with them (in Peculiar, MO - how fitting for me ), and spending my time looking after my grandkids. I retired from the United Methodist Church on June 16th, and I am currently surrounded by boxes at the house in Peculiar, as I figure out what needs to stay with me, and what still needs to go to the Salvation Army.

Just for the record, I did spend the past 8 years playing drums in a garage band (occasionally getting out to play before a church) with other pastors, and playing guitar and singing backing harmony for the praise band at the church I served (the house I lived in had an amazingly large room off the garage that worked well as a music room where people could come and practice. The time that I spent playing with others has helped me to grow in my drumming more than anything else I could have done over the 8 years. I am already missing that, as well as the friends!

Well, I won't boring you folks anymore. I'll just say that it's good to be back, and I look forward to the chats with you all!

Bob
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gone Waaay Too Long

Welcome back sir! Congrats on retirement and what a wonderful thing to retire for, the joy of spending time with grand kids. Now to an important question, did you bring your drums with you lol.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Welcome back. Enjoy retirement.

User Info Menu

Good to hear from you again PB. You have been missed.
    I used to play in a group called The Little River Band from Hopkinsville, KY (not the more famous Aussies) at a large bar/club on the outskirts of Clarksville not far from the Kentucky border.Do you know the place, its name, and if it's still there?
    It may have been on Rt 236 or Tylertown Road.

User Info Menu

Welcome back!

Gee Pou Guest

Welcome back, this will take some of the load off Tom.

User Info Menu

We’ve just been waiting for you. We knew you’d come back to the flock.

What shocks me is that it’s been 8yrs??
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Welcome back, PB.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

ABOUT DAMN TIME.

Tom does need someone to help him carry this load although he has mellowed out some. I don't think he's banned anybody in 2 1/2 years, but, I think I might be #1 on his hit list.

So PB, you caught the last train OUT of Clarksville and the 1st 1 to Peculiar, MO------------------Larry and Curly, and now someone new is pasteurizing your flock.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

OldeEnglishD, I actually questioned whether I should bring my 6 piece Catalina kit. I thought it made more sense to let it go, and to keep the smaller 4 piece. My daughter told me that she talked to her husband about it, and he told her, "He loves playing the drums, so he should bring them." I love that guy!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    We’ve just been waiting for you. We knew you’d come back to the flock.

What shocks me is that it’s been 8yrs??

It's kind of crazy when you think about it, but this last church had so many things that had to be worked out that I just had to put all my time and energy into it. I can only hope that some of what I did will stick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    ABOUT DAMN TIME.
    True that!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the "welcome back," guys. It feels good to be here again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Good to hear from you again PB. You have been missed.
    I used to play in a group called The Little River Band from Hopkinsville, KY (not the more famous Aussies) at a large bar/club on the outskirts of Clarksville not far from the Kentucky border.Do you know the place, its name, and if it's still there?
    It may have been on Rt 236 or Tylertown Road.
    Hi Bob. I have to admit that I didn't get into the Fort Campbell area very much. The church I served was actually about 20 minutes south of Clarksville on Hwy 48. Most of the time in Clarksville was to go to the chiropractor, go to Walmart, go to the music store, or get something to eat on the run (loved the China King buffet). I know the area you're talking about, but I honestly couldn't tell you what's there.

User Info Menu

Very peculiar ... hey Bob good to see you.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Hey Bob...………...welcome back...………..wow, 8 years, really ?
    And congrats on your retirement.
    I'm right behind you -- my retirement date is August 31st.
    After 37 years I've decided it is time.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hey Bob...………...welcome back...………..wow, 8 years, really ?
    And congrats on your retirement.
    I'm right behind you -- my retirement date is August 31st.
    After 37 years I've decided it is time.

Both of you will love being retired. I've been at it for 14 years and it never gets old. The downside is that I do.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

Gee Pou Guest

I agree with rick I retired in 2002 and love it.I just turned 68 and still feel like a young lad that is inside lol.

User Info Menu

Wow!!! This is a shocker. I thought you were gone forever! Welcome back good friend! It's been too long.

User Info Menu

Welcome back Pastor Bob! Congrats on the retirement. I'm looking forward to reading your posts again. I'm glad your daughter's family is back from serving our troops on Okinawa. I know the typhoons are getting more intense in their power due to climate changes; better snow than dangerous tropical storms right?

User Info Menu

Welcome back PB!

User Info Menu

Nice to see ya back PB, congrats on the retirement.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Nice to see you again. I've been "on hiatus" as well.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Welcome back, PB! I've been over on the dark side, playing the guitar, but I still have to check in every now and then.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Welcome back Pastor Bob! Congrats on the retirement. I'm looking forward to reading your posts again. I'm glad your daughter's family is back from serving our troops on Okinawa. I know the typhoons are getting more intense in their power due to climate changes; better snow than dangerous tropical storms right?
    Yeah, they went through a few typhoons while they were there, so I'm glad they weren't any worse. It sure has been fun hanging out with them in my retirement. Oh, and the Angels flag made the cut in "things to take with me to Missouri," even though my son-in-law is a huge Royals fan. It helps that my daughter is a huge Angels fan, like me.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Welcome back PB!
    Thank you FS!

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Nice to see ya back PB, congrats on the retirement.
    Thanks GF, my bacon loving friend!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    Nice to see you again. I've been "on hiatus" as well.
    Thanks very much. As to hiatuses, well they just happen sometimes. It's just nice to find you here.

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Welcome back, PB! I've been over on the dark side, playing the guitar, but I still have to check in every now and then.
    Thanks weezy. I've been known to pick up a guitar more often that sit down at a drum kit from time to time. At the church where I last served, there was another drummer, so I grabbed a guitar and also offered backing harmony vocal.