Thread: Double base question and single bass

User Info Menu

Default Double base question and single bass

1)Sorry to sound ignorant but i have heard a few 80’s drummers with double base drum and then opening the hi hat while playing a groove. How or what are they doing?

2)Also for you single kick drum guys., are you making the head of your kick drum tight in order to do some bonham like kicks?? I would think a tighter head would render better rebound?
    How tight do you guys go?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double base question and single bass

I don't use a technique like that but maybe Spaz will chime in. He's probably done that before or maybe still does. He's a mad d'ber.

You can (with practice) work the hat pedal as well as the twin BD pedals with one foot. How much you work it will show in the end result.

As for number two, I tend to keep my heads more loose than tight and just get the pedal to do the work. Too much rebound will create multiple hits when not desired.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

All i can think of is a heel toe technique being used between the pedals.

My bd head isn't too tight either.. i re-tuned it not too long ago and tried a tad more tightness but not much more than 1 1/2 turns past wrinkle. I like the feel and sound with some slack in the head.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

For the hi-hat you will need a "Drop Clutch" I use one of these & they are great https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...op-Clutch/1WTQ
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

For playing doubles on a single bass I’ve always found it easier to play with the head pretty loose and also the spring tension pretty loose on the pedal.

User Info Menu

The are several tricks. . . To start, I use drop clutches on all of my hi-hats as I am a big double bass guy and I do like patterns with a closed hi-hat and open hi-hat and this allows me to do both. Also, on 3 of my kits I also run TWO hi-hats which a lot of big rock/metal guys also do (a standard hi-hat and remote hi-hat) that way as I'm playing I can do a closed hit and an open hit at any point of time. But there are grooves I've done where I've done a heal/toe method from one pedal to the other to do double bass and hi-hat patterns.