Thread: Tom stands for 80s Pearl

User Info Menu

Default Tom stands for 80s Pearl

I bought a late 80's Pearl MLX kit for my recording studio. I noticed that the tom brackets are not really good. They dive just after a couple of strikes and dive towards the kick drum.I'm not sure what should I get. The toms have a hole about 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" inch for the stand.

I could get something like a snare stand and hold the tom from the lower hoop. I've read online that it messes with the tone and I would not like that as I am mainly using this kit in the studio. A friend of mine told me that having the tom floating (a drum stick height) above the stand gets rid of the problem.

My other option is buying new Pearl stands. The ones I can get locally are combination stands, that each stand holds 1 tom and 1 cymbal. I'm not sure if this causes problems in the studio.

Please, recommend me the best stand to get.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom stands for 80s Pearl

Can you take a picture of the tom mount on the drum and the current arm you’re using? I would think you’re best bet would be stick with Pearl. They’ve used that same style pipe setup for years now and in general works pretty well. Are you trying to attach the toms to the bass drum or use a separate stand?

User Info Menu

Sounds something like worn bushings that are allowing them to fall like that.

That design has always been my least favorite.. nothing wrong with it at all just a personal preference thing.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Can you take a picture of the tom mount on the drum and the current arm you’re using? I would think you’re best bet would be stick with Pearl. They’ve used that same style pipe setup for years now and in general works pretty well. Are you trying to attach the toms to the bass drum or use a separate stand?
    I'll take a picture. I would like separate stand. I' sure that the toms and kick together would be a problem. Would a tom and cymbal stand have interaction between the two elements or they are so distinct that it I am in the clear. It's a pipe style mount.

Yes it's either pearl mounts, but I cannot find a single to mount, they are combination, one tom and a cymbal, otherwise, I could get a snare style that holds the tom from the bottom. I'm not sure whats best for recording

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Sounds something like worn bushings that are allowing them to fall like that.

That design has always been my least favorite.. nothing wrong with it at all just a personal preference thing.
    It could be worn out, but the drum itself do not seem like they have been used a lot. Either way, I'd like to get the toms off the bass drum and having separate stands. I believe it is better for recording as I would get less tom vibrations each time the kick is played.

User Info Menu

I’m a little confused as far as what’s going on. The Pearl tube mount/ratchet arms are hard to adjust, but typically are extremely stable.

Are these what you’re talking about?
    30D0C329-A603-4E33-A284-0061E1BBAC7D.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I’m a little confused as far as what’s going on. The Pearl tube mount/ratchet arms are hard to adjust, but typically are extremely stable.

Are these what you’re talking about?
    30D0C329-A603-4E33-A284-0061E1BBAC7D.jpg
    Yes! I adjust them. When I play them the toms start diving. Sometimes even with a guitar amp a metre away would make them drop, at home practice levels.

I can't use them for recording as they are not stable enough. I'd like a solution with its own stand rather than mounting the toms over the kick. I have 3 rack toms but use 1 or 2 most of the time

User Info Menu

If you get the geared version like the one pictured above the you will never get "Tom Dive" again as they will be fixed in place
    The Varukers.

Gee Pou Guest

I agree with Kevaruka.

User Info Menu

But I do not want to have the toms mounted to the bass drum. Either s snare stand or a pearl stand. But the pearl stands I found also have a boom stand for a cymbal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ex351d View Post
    But I do not want to have the toms mounted to the bass drum. Either s snare stand or a pearl stand. But the pearl stands I found also have a boom stand for a cymbal
    The tom arm above can be mounted in or on a stand base
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

That's a great idea!