Thread: Help choosing Ludwig set

User Info Menu

Default Help choosing Ludwig set

Looking for thoughts on a quality Ludwig drumset for playing at home and eventually recording my own tunes. My goal is to record my own songs via multiple tracks, Paul McCartney style (albums such as McCartney, McCartney II, Chaos and Creation). I already sing and play guitar, bass, and piano, so drums are the only instrument I'm missing (and I've wanted to learn to play for a while). I'm not interested in using sample libraries or an electronic set.

I want to get Ludwig because of the connection to my two biggest musical influences, The Beatles and Paul McCartney (he has an Accent set in his studio used on many recent albums). Much of the music I write is in the style of those artists. I want something that is reliable, inspiring to use and play, and that will record well. I am not interested in getting a low quality beginner set and then upgrading later. I am not interested in buying used or discontinued models.

Recommendations for a Ludwig kit to get close to the Beatles sound are appreciated. I'm guessing something in the Fab configuration would meet my goals but there seem to be multiple models that offer a fab configuration. Also not sure about maple vs mahogany.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help choosing Ludwig set

I am pretty sure Ringo's kit was the time tested Classic Maple's. I am ordering a custom 3 or 4 pc set this week. They sound fantastic and are very versatile. There is a great video on youtube where a certain drum store does a complete in depth review/shootout of all the top Ludwig lines side by side and it is very informative. Due to direct competition to drum bum for selling key chains I cannot post it here but I can send you the link if you like?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. I've had my '67 Ludwig Maple Classics for over 40 years and it is my first kit. The shells are 3 ply: maple, poplar, mahogany with the re-rings. You mentioned that you have no interest in vintage used drums but I can honestly say that I would not trade my beat up old kit for a new one. The kit is 52 years old and it stills sounds fantastic. You can find pristine kits made in this era for $1800-$2000.

Having said that, the new fab 3pc kit is about $2000+ and some change. Add a Ludwig maple snare and you're good to go.

Oh yeah....you can have one of these made too:

Last edited by late8; 07-03-2019 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, Axelorox.

Here's a trusted members kit for sale. I don't know how he keeps it on the wall like that but that's none of my business.

https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....ub-Date-(1969)

Here's another trusted members's kit. These are some fine drums....

https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....e-Birch-Shells
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If you're interested in a modern made Ludwig kit based upon the vintage 3-ply maple/poplar/maple shell with maple re-rings and vintage
    style edges you might want to check out the Ludwig Legacy Maple drums. They come with 3-ply maple/poplar/maple shells, 1/4" solid maple reinforcement rings, and 30 degree bearing edges based upon the shell formula introduced in 1968 but are a bit on the expensive side so they might not be in your budget.

More affordable options to get you close to the sound you want would be the modern Ludwig Downbeat (Ringo configuration) or Classic Maple series in the 3-piece shell pack configuration with a modern Jazz Festival snare drum with a 3-ply Legacy Mahogany shell and vintage ‘64 snare bed from the Jazz Fest series. Also check out the Ludwig Supraphonic LM 400 chrome plated aluminum snare drum, arguably the most recorded snare in history which can be found on the used market for $200-300 dollars.

Of course there are many other options.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-03-2019 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

To really get that vintage Beatles sound, you’ll need the top-of-the-line Legacy Maples or Legacy Mahogany...high dollar....
    Either that, or go find a used vintage ‘60’s kit. I believe Ringo’s famous black oyster kit was Mahogany. That’s the only way you’re going to get the “3ply shell with re-rings” sound.

I have a basement full of vintage Ludwig 3-ply shells from the late 60’s. Honestly, the quality is terrible by today’s standards. If you ever looked at the overlap joint in the shell, you’d wonder how they sound as good as they do. But they DO sound good!

I also have a new Ludwig “Centennial” kit that I gig with. Technically, the Centennials are discontinued, but, you can still buy them from the major on-line music stores. They are mid-level, made in Taiwan, but they use 100% North American maple shells. They sound fantastic, excellent build quality....and they’re cheap.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

Gee Pou Guest

Ringos black oysters where 6 ply North American Maple. I am sure I read it somewhere in the history of his drums.

User Info Menu

According to history, Ringo used two Ludwig Downbeat (8x12, 14x14, 14x20) and two Super Classic (9x13, 16x16, 14x22) kits all in the Oyster Black Pearl wrap finish during his early years with the Beatles. According to the Ludwig Shell guide, all were 3-ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany with maple reinforcement rings. He typically used a Jazz Festival snare with these kits.

Towards the end of the Beatles era, he played a 1967 Ludwig Hollywood (8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22) maple kit in the natural 'Thermogloss' lacquer finish. These were the 'new formula' 3-ply maple/poplar/maple shells with maple reinforcement rings. This is the kit that he used on the Let It Be album and on the famous 'Get Back' rooftop video which I believe was the Beatles last performance together.

b39e7783c401a6e20d76eb18d5e2a557.jpg

He currently plays a Ludwig Classic Maple kit which are 7-ply North American Maple.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I'd like to add that I've been playing Ludwig drums exclusively since 1977 and have been playing the Ludwig Classic Maple drums since 2003. My current configuration is 8x12, 14x14, and 22x14 which is kind of a Downbeat / Classic hybrid. The Ludwig CM drums are great drums.

I don't know what your budget is but if you plan to use these drums only for recording in your home studio and you want to get as close to the sound of the Beatles era recordings as you can, then might I recommend the following options:

Ludwig Legacy Mahogany or Maple Series - Modern vintage sound with mahogany being a little deeper and richer sounding but expensive. Hold their resale value well. Available in both Downbeat and Classic configurations or can be special ordered in custom configurations. The Mahogany series would sound like Ringo's earlier kits while the maple would sound like his later kit.

Ludwig Classic Maple Series - Modern maple sound but more affordable. Also hold their resale value well. Available in both Downbeat and Classic configurations or can be special ordered in custom configurations.

A third trade-off option might be to get a Classic Maple kit in the configuration of your choice and have the bearing edges recut to give them more of a round-over, mellowing them out a bit and giving them a sound closer to the vintage vibe. I had this done with one of my Ludwig Classic Maple kits and they sound amazing. Many believe that this edge style brings out the best in the Classic Maple shells.

User Info Menu

Ringo had numerous kits. He started out on Premiers (makes sense since they’re English), but his first new kit was the Ludwig In ‘62-‘63. He was infatuated with the Black Oyster wrap and more than anything, he loved the idea of playing “American” drums. He had several new kits in the following few years, all the same Black Oyster Pearl, and all were Mahogany. Ludwig didn’t start using Maple until the late ‘60’s. Mahogany was considered the standard for drum shells until it became expensive and in short supply in the late ‘60s.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

According to the Ludwig website (about), the Ludwig "Classic Maple" series shells were introduced in 1998.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Here's the Ludwig 1967 catalog:

I guess my kit was called the "Super Classic"....

Last edited by late8; 07-05-2019 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

My first kit was the 67 Down Beat in red sparkle. It was bought new! Wish I still had it! lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post

A third trade-off option might be to get a Classic Maple kit in the configuration of your choice and have the bearing edges recut to give them more of a round-over, mellowing them out a bit and giving them a sound closer to the vintage vibe. I had this done with one of my Ludwig Classic Maple kits and they sound amazing. Many believe that this edge style brings out the best in the Classic Maple shells.
    So what did you have yours cut to? Ready to order a 3 or 4pc CM kit and was thinking of having them smooth out the 45 degree edges but not sure they did it and not sure what to have them do it too?
    Last edited by MDK; 07-07-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    So what did you have yours cut to? Ready to order a 3 or 4pc CM kit and was thinking of having them smooth out the 45 degree edges but not sure they did it and not sure what to have them do it too?
    I sent my shells off to have the bearing edges shaped. I retained the standard Ludwig 45 degree inner edge and went with a slight 45 degree round over counter cut, just enough to take the edge off since I didn't want too much shell touching the head.

You can probably contact someone credible who has experience with the Ludwig Classic maple shells and they should be able to provide you with their recommendations as to which edge profile(s) would give you the sound you are looking for.

Edited to add the following: I had the edges shaped on the toms only, I left the kick alone, didn't feel a need to change it. My current Ludwig CM kit purchased in 2017 has the standard 45 degree edges and I am liking them like they are. Don't think that I'll change them.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-07-2019 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

First of all, welcome to Drum Chat.

As many have stated, Ringo used three ply mahogany Ludwigs during the "Beatles" years. The current top of the line Legacy Mahogany sets are a modern recreation, but quite expensive.

Another option is the Ludwig Neusonic line. They are American made and use 6 ply maple/cherry shells. A shell pack is $999 at major retailers.

Ludwig Neusonic.jpg
    Last edited by drummer5359; 07-07-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Unless you can custom order them that way...
    You would most likely have to dis-assemble them down to the bare shells and send them off somewhere. You’d pay shipping both ways, as well as the labor to have it done. Also, you’re taking a risk of them getting lost or damaged in shipment.
    Honestly...you may be better off spending the extra for the Legacy series?
    Another option would be to take them to a competent drum shop if there’s one within driving distance. If all you need done is have the “roundover” edge, they can do that by hand. Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it myself. I’ve dressed countless bearing edges by hand...even my new Ludwigs...but I completely understand why it would make some people cringe. Especially on a brand new, high dollar kit.
    -Brian