Thread: Not Happy

User Info Menu

Default Not Happy

I've had these hi-hats for about 12 years. The top has developed a peculiar cracking pattern around the entire circumference. Wrote to Zildjian customer service. They agreed it was very unusual. Had no answers as to why this may be happening then, very diplomatically told me that I shouldn't be going beast mode on my equipment. I didn't expect a new product, but, I also didn't expect to get that kind of response. I'm going to go to a local store and see if I can get some face time with the Zildjian rep to see if I can get a better answer.

4gshbzZ+RLmsWNQuuXD7iQ.jpg
    981lZu7pSRijjOkYKrhusQ.jpg
    8dS0aXcjTdOyDtF+d8pqKQ.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not Happy

Oh man that sucks. I hope you get to talk to a rep, keep us posted.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Are you storing them on edge by chance?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Are you storing them on edge by chance?
    Nope

User Info Menu

12 years is a long time. I wouldn't expect something from the company if it were me. Sorry that happened to you Bish. It's happened to me and it really sucks.

User Info Menu

Makes my heart sink when this happens :( I doubt you will get anything from Zildjian, maybe some sympathetic words if you speak to the right person. Time to get the file out :(
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

If nothing works out with Zildjian I know that Dream used to have a trade in program for any used B20 cymbals (cracks dont matter as they turn them into effects etc.). They would give you a certain amount per inch towards new Dream cymbals. The Contact series crashes I have are very close to Zildjia A's in tone. Just an idea.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Send it my way and I'll groove out all the cracks and we'll make some new sounding hi-hat... super crisp venting!

User Info Menu

Good candidate to turn down to 13” hats (or whatever it takes to clean up the cracks)
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow, bogus. Looks like the hi-hat stand tipped over and landed on its side a few times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    12 years is a long time. I wouldn't expect something from the company if it were me. Sorry that happened to you Bish. It's happened to me and it really sucks.

It wasn't me it happened to but thanks for your compassion.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I had and old 16" crash that did the same thing. I was able to stop the crack from growing by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack. Got many more years out of the cymbal after that.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-23-2019 at 06:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Kind of looks like a crack that would happen if the bottom hat was a little smaller than the top. BTW I tried cutting down my new beats to a 13" did not work well, you really need a lathe or something that can also thin them out a little at the ends
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

If getting them replaced fails, I'd go with the grooving out the cracks option like SpazApproved mentioned.

Gee Pou Guest

Sooner or later cymbals crack not all but some. I never had a cymbal crack yet cross my fingers.

User Info Menu

Bish: "Are you storing them on edge by chance?"
    Your sense of humor is perhaps too subtle on this one.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 07-24-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: clearity

User Info Menu

Beast mode? That's what they wrote back?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Those kind of breakages simply happen with bronze. That particular cymbal may have been made from a faulty batch of metal, or lathed incorrectly, or . . . or . . . the possibilities are endless. But I certainly don't think that Zildjian has any responsibility to warranty the cymbal after over a decade of use. And what explanation or soothing balm are you expecting from them? A drummer simply has to expect that the constant hammering that our equipment takes will eventually break something. When that happens, the only reasonable thing to do is simply find a replacement.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    When that happens, the only reasonable thing to do is simply find a replacement.

GeeDeeEmm
    I have two new clocks. One made with a Remo Pinstripe and one made with an old cymbal. They keep time, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Your sense of humor is perhaps too subtle on this one.
    I have to echo noreastbob on this one. I think I smell a whiff of spoof.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    Dream Bliss and Contact
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The "quiet time" things:
    Zildjian L80 low volume cymbals
    Aquarian Super-Pads
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

User Info Menu

Total bummer Marc. I noticed from the pics you posted there was a lot of edge wear on the top hihat cymbal so I went back and looked at the videos you posted and it looks as though you live on the edges of your hihats. I do the same but I float between the edge and bow depending on the dynamics of the song. Try lowering your hihat stand a bit. It will take the stick off the edge and could extend the life of your top hihat cymbal. If you find it uncomfortable or just not the sound you want from your hats, expect the same results down the road.

Last edited by late8; 08-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I've seen a lot of A Customs develop cracks like that, that's how they normally seem to fail. They're pretty thin cymbals, after 12 years I would say that's normal wear and tear for a gigging drummer in a rock band.