Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My unpopular opinion of Ozone crashes

User Info Menu

Default Re: My unpopular opinion of Ozone crashes

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    My EFX cymbal is holding up very well, but then I am not a heavy hitter, and I hit my cymbals with the sweeping motion to try to prevent cracking (I can't afford to keep going through cymbals).
    I believe this to be the trick to getting them to last as long as possible ...

User Info Menu

I have a Zildjian 14" Custom EFX that I love. What I love about it is the quick decay which is what the holes impart. It makes for a nice little exclamation mark!

User Info Menu

China cymbals are the worst cymbals ever made. Their sound is right there with cowbells.

Ozone cymbals! There was a hole in the ozone layer so it only seems fitting to have holes in Ozone cymbals.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I've been contemplating an AAX ozone for a while but have been holding back due to the concerns regarding longevity. If I can find a fairly cheap used one I might take the plunge.

User Info Menu

Meinl and Bosphorus make the best ozone-style cymbals in my opinion. The Byzance Dual and Vintage Trash Crashes are fantastic and they are super versatile, I've even heard them used as main crashes. The Bosphorus ones are super quick and trashy, more unique so great for accents.

Chinas are their own thing. One thing to keep in mind is many chinas are simply too clangy up close. Zildjian, especially, makes chinas that sound like garbage (in a bad way!) up close but are nice in a mix. For really dark washy chinas you need something very thin, with a less obvious flange. Those can be very musical, even mellow...but I don't consider chinas and ozones to be the same.