Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My unpopular opinion of Ozone crashes

User Info Menu

Default My unpopular opinion of Ozone crashes

I have talked to a few local drummers and I seem to be in the minority that Ozone crashes sound much better and are more versatile than any china cymbal out there. I have a 14" K china, have owned 18" and 16" wuhan's, and 16" zildjian china's and none of them have sounded as good to my ear as my 16" Meinl HCS ozone crash that I only own because it came with a cheap kit I bought on CL and flipped but kept the ozone after playing it.

I am currently selling my K china and was going to buy an 18" Sabian HHX Ozone crash cymbal ($200 used ) because ya know HHX cymbals sound wayy better than meinl HCS cymbals but after checking it out and comparing side by side with a Sabian SBR for literally a quarter of the price I cannot justify spending the extra cash on the HHX when it sounds not much if even at all better than my meinl hcs or the SBR that costs $70?

I am going to buy a sabian model but not the over priced hhx, am I alone in this?

Do most of you like china's over ozone's? Do you think high priced ozone's sound that much better than cheap models? It must have to do with all the big holes that are cut into an ozone that kind of makes them all sound similar? Check out a few different demo's on youtube and let me know what you think. I did hear a sabian B8 ozone that was pretty crappy sounding but I think it may have been the way the guy was playing it or recorded it.

By the way every time I talk about Ozone crashes this song pops in my head... I love it from back in my younger days and was one of the 1st non-hit (never hear on radio) songs I ever remember liking. Sounds like an Ozone crash being played 1/4 notes as well : ) Enjoy!!
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: My unpopular opinion of Ozone crashes

I understand your position.
    I liked my 16” China, until I made my own Ozone out of a 14” Wuhan crash (hole saw on a cordless drill, lol). Now, I’m addicted to the Ozone. It’s way more versatile....perfect blend of a glassy crash and trashy China. I use it as much as any other crash on my kit. It just gives a slightly different color to the sound mix, which can fit into almost ANY song with out sounding out of place.
    The Wuhans are B20, so I can’t comment on how a B8 would sound. But...the purpose of cymbals (and drums) is to make sounds. If it sounds good, it IS good. Doesn’t matter what brand, price or material.

E872B75E-407C-4CE3-8C50-DF50743CA7B2.jpg
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 07-20-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

These days I prefer thin holy trash cymbals (e.g. ozones) but I will admit that chinas can be more useful for some musical styles.

I used china cymbals for years, many different ones, and I found most of them to be one trick ponies. I still have an 80's Zildjian China Boy High that is pretty versatile and sounds fantastic; it's a keeper. The rest I got rid of.

These days I use an 18" Wuhan Linear Smash cymbal that sounds just like an 18" Sabian HHX Ozone. The cutout pattern mimics the Zildjian EFX. I bought it new for $100 at my local drum shop some years back. It might not be cool or sexy but it has served me well for hundreds of gigs, including last night, and has no cracks so far. I like the dark, clean, smooth, trashy sound that it has, not harsh like a china, and I can use it for more music styles. It even fit in with a Modern Country band that I played in a couple of years ago.

However, I also like the Sabian HHX Ozone and Zildjian A/K EFX models in 16" diameter that I have heard at the drum shops. These are good sounding cymbals to my ears and I would consider purchasing one if I found "the one" ...

User Info Menu

Ozones and their like sound really cool. They don't sound like a China and I certainly don't see them replacing China cymbals. Try and reproduce Wherever I May Roam with an ozone. Not the same animal at all. Apples to oranges comparison.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

To me they ozones and chinas are different things. However, I do find ozones to be more versatile if one were to have to choose between the two. I have a Sabian AAX 18" ozone which I love! Great as an extra crash witha more trashy sound to it but also great for crash riding.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I absolutely LOVE my Ozones!! They are a subtle cross breed of the china and a crash.
    A lot less harsh than a china but a lot more attitude than a crash.

I stand with you 100% on the opinion but I'm keeping my china's cause I love those also.

User Info Menu

Have the 18" HHX Evolution & love it. I have two cracked cymbals that I am going to do a DIY O-Zone conversion on I also have 3 China's & love them also. Horses for courses & all that
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Have the 18" HHX Evolution & love it.
    I just bought a barely used one, have not really laid into it or played it musically yet but initial hits and taps were very impressive.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I had to google ozone cymbals to find out what they are. So it's just s regular crash with holes? The holes somehow give it a bit of a trashy sound? Interesting. I'm a Zildjian guy so I guess their EFX cymbals would be similar? They look like they would crack easily though. I have an Istanbul Xsist 18" china that has holes in it, love the sound of that. I just don't understand why holes in a regular crash would make it sound trashy.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-24-2019 at 05:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I had to google ozone cymbals to find out what they are. So it's just s regular crash with holes? The holes somehow give it a bit of a trashy sound? Interesting. I'm a Zildjian guy so I guess their EFX cymbals would be similar? They look like they would crack easily though. I have an Istanbul Xsist 18" china that has holes in it, love the sound of that. I just don't understand why holes in a regular crash would make it sound trashy.
    Yeah I dont get it either but they sound really good imo, Kind of like a really big splash cymbal if splash cymbals could be made that big. I have been using my Meinl HCS 16" ozone every week at rehearsals for the last 8 months and it still looks almost new and I hit it pretty hard sometimes as well..
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I have a 14" HHX mini china and a 17" AAX Xtreme Chinese that stay at home. If I were in a metal band, I'd use them all the time. In my opinion, Ozones are much more versatile.

They fit pretty nicely in between a regular crash and a china as others have stated but the edges of the holes tend to be the weak point.

9af1d055857b8c56bff9175d6b3094bf.jpg

2.jpg

I bought a 14" HHXtreme crash that blew me away. To my ears, it sounds trashy with the same type of washy sound I hear from an Ozone but more mellower than a china.
    Last edited by late8; 07-24-2019 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I like them but never bought one. So for those that use them all the time, do the Ozones hold up like other cymbals or are they more susceptible to breaks like splash cymbals?

User Info Menu

Wow , I just look up prices , not cheap. I may go to my local drum shop and browse through the used cymbal bin. If I can find something half way decent for cheap I may buy it and try drilling it myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like them but never bought one. So for those that use them all the time, do the Ozones hold up like other cymbals or are they more susceptible to breaks like splash cymbals?
    In general, yes they are more susceptible to breaks but I believe that it depends on the hole pattern and how you hit them. I read somewhere that the Sabian Ozone pattern breaks about 50% more than the Zildjian EFX pattern but I don't know how true this is.

The guys at my local drum shop in New Orleans say that the local pros frequently come in to replace their broken holy cymbals and they tend to buy the cheaper ones because they know that they are going to break them ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-24-2019 at 08:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    In general, yes they are more susceptible to breaks but I believe that it depends on the hole pattern and how you hit them. I read somewhere that the Sabian Ozone pattern breaks about 50% more than the Zildjian EFX pattern but I don't know how true this is.

The guys at my local drum shop in New Orleans say that the local pros frequently come in to replace their broken holy cymbals and they tend to buy the cheaper ones because they know that they are going to break them ...
    I will let ya know how long my 18" HHX evolution ozone lasts, I just bought it but not gonna start gigging again till September. Buying cheaper ones is probably the way to go as my Meinl HCS sounds really good and has not broken in 8 months of bashing so far.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I've read reviews from the drummers who use Zildjian EFX cymbals and the major complaints are the cracks that appear on the laser cut "U" section. My take is no matter if the cymbal is drilled or laser cut, the integrity of the cymbal is compromised and the risk of failure increases with time. I have a vintage '60's 19" Zildjian A Swish knocker that I seldom use and it has cracks appearing on most of the rivet holes.

This is a fairly new 20" Zildian A Custom EFX I found on another drum forum and the drummer who posted the pics was shocked at how quickly it cracked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My take is no matter if the cymbal is drilled or laser cut, the integrity of the cymbal is compromised and the risk of failure increases with time.
    I agree completely and your statement is consistent with what I've heard the drum shop guys talk about. Main reason why I went cheap but I know that it's just a matter of time before it starts developing cracks. When it goes, I'll just buy another el cheapo one lol ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I will let ya know how long my 18" HHX evolution ozone lasts, I just bought it but not gonna start gigging again till September. Buying cheaper ones is probably the way to go as my Meinl HCS sounds really good and has not broken in 8 months of bashing so far.
    Your Meinl HCS is definitely a keeper ...

User Info Menu

I agree completely and your statement is consistent with what I've heard the drum shop guys talk about. Main reason why I went cheap but I know that it's just a matter of time before it starts developing cracks. When it goes, I'll just buy another el cheapo one lol ...
    lol! Yeah, el cheapos are the way to go but they seem to die faster too.

User Info Menu

lol! Yeah, el cheapos are the way to go but they seem to die faster too.
    Yeah, unfortunately it's true.

I must have woke up on the right side of the bed or something the day I got my 18" Wuhan holy trash cymbal because it's survived several hundred gigs without a crack so far. But, I'm not a hard cymbal hitter ...

User Info Menu

Yeah, unfortunately it's true.

I must have woke up on the right side of the bed or something the day I got my 18" Wuhan holy trash cymbal because it's survived several hundred gigs without a crack so far. But, I'm not a hard cymbal hitter ...
    I just went into sticker shock on how much the Ozones and EFX cymbals cost. I heard a Wuhan 16" with holes only drilled on 1/2 of the cymbal and it really sounds good but I couldn't find it on their website so I'm thinking it's discontinued but I did find an 18" Smash at just north of $100.00. It looks like they copied the Zildjian EFX cymbal.

1.jpg

User Info Menu

That's the one that I use. Sounds just like an HHX Ozone but has the EFX pattern. I paid around $100 for mine too ...

User Info Menu

That's the one that I use. Sounds just like an HHX Ozone but has the EFX pattern. I paid around $100 for mine too ...
    Nice to know it's holding up. I too am not a heavy hitter so I think going on your review the 18" Smash will work for me. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Nice to know it's holding up. I too am not a heavy hitter so I think going on your review the 18" Smash will work for me. Thanks!!
    Being they're hand hammered, might I suggest to try before you buy if you can manage it. I picked mine out of four or five and while they all sounded somewhat similar, each had its nuances ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-30-2019 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I got an 18" Wuhan China about 16 yrs. ago, and it's still in good shape, but it doesn't get much time anymore, because about 6 yrs. ago I got an 18" Zildjian EFX and it got all the playing time. It has what I call a "melodic trashiness," as opposed to the jarring trashiness of the Wuhan China, and it just seemed to fit easily into nearly any song. My EFX cymbal is holding up very well, but then I am not a heavy hitter, and I hit my cymbals with the sweeping motion to try to prevent cracking (I can't afford to keep going through cymbals).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!