Thread: When a drummer records in a studio—

User Info Menu

Default When a drummer records in a studio—

Guys, lets say a rock band is recording an album. Does the drummer usually record his drum track by himself or does the band play live? I always thought the drummer goes in by himself with just a producer or whomever.

User Info Menu

Default Re: When a drummer records in a studio—

I've done both.
    Usually the band plays the song just like you are at the practice hall................the engineer however is only interested in keeping the drum tracks.
    Once the drum tracks are complete, the band and the engineer now have the foundation on which to build a good recording................many options exist on how you prefer to build.
    The main reason the drums are first to be recorded is due to microphone leakage -- when the rest of the band plays, the drummer is usually segregated to his own "drum room".
    Another reason the drums get recorded first is that the other members prefer to play and record their parts while hearing the exact drum parts that will be in the recording.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I did several, a couple in the mid '60's before I went into the USAF, and a handful in the early '70's.

All were done with the whole band at 1 time. Drums in a room separate from the band.

I would prefer that even today.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I've done it with the whole band, just the rhythm section, just drums and bass, and just drums. But like Ricardo said the producer/engineer will usually keep only the drums for each and then build up from there, including drum track overdubs.

My personal preference is to record with the whole band because I find the drum track feels better ...

User Info Menu

I've done both.
    But I prefer when the drummer records alone and lays down the first track layer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    My personal preference is to record with the whole band because I find the drum track feels better ...
    I agree with the statement above...................and I don't like playing with a click, but I can do it when required.
    At one session I worked, the studio drum room had the option of using a strobe light to set the tempo.............for me, it worked better than a click.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I've done it with the whole band, just the rhythm section, just drums and bass, and just drums. But like Ricardo said the producer/engineer will usually keep only the drums for each and then build up from there, including drum track overdubs.

I prefer it done this method too. The scratch track for me provides the dynamics and feel of how the overall song should be played. As for my part, I will overdub the entire song as one take while playing over the scratch track with the click.

User Info Menu

Either way. You can play to a "scratch" track or the whole band plays together. Whatever works.

User Info Menu

I do my parts and leave. Ok not really
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Never played to a click track, and now, obviously, I never will.

Song starts at 100 BPM, 1/4 of the way through, 100 BPM, 1/2 way through, 100 BPM, 3/4 of the way through, 100 BPM, finish song up at 100 BPM.

That is done to cover 1's a$$ because of all the people that come with their metronomes to time the band. Happens all the time.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I write and record my songs by myself, so I go into the drum room with a click ap on the phone, plug in and play.

It's much easier when you're the whole band I guess.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......