Thread: Bought our 1st RV/Travel Trailer to camp, anyone else Camp?

User Info Menu

Default Bought our 1st RV/Travel Trailer to camp, anyone else Camp?

The wife and I decided to finally buy a travel trailer and do the camping thing. Neither of us have any experience so this should be adventurous to say the least. I just upgraded the brakes on my F150 and bought a weight distribution/ sway bar to tow this 7000 lb 33' trailer.

We thought we had this last week but the sellers bank was really slow on the process, however they were nice enough to deliver it to us from an hour south but when they got here they told us they locked the doors and forgot the keys. LOL arrrggghhhh so we had a trailer in our driveway for 2 days before I finally got time to drive down to their house and pick up they keys.

Trying to talk the wife into letting me get a new F250 but thats gonna take some time : )

Going to try a few different campsites before deciding on a place to park for next season.

Now I have an excuse to break out my cajon : )

Trailer.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    Last edited by MDK; 08-03-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bought our 1st RV/Travel Trailer to camp, anyone else Camp?

Yep, been camping non stop since 10/16, southern tip of Baja Mexico to the Artic circle and 49 states. Prefer to boondock or use state parks. My rig is a45' Haulmark Super C built on a class 8 truck chassis . Traveling thru Canada with my 12 year old grandson.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

My wife just retired a couple of months ago, and the first thing on her list was to get a camper. So, we found a 2002 28ft model that seemed to be in good shape. We looked at it in a pouring rain and I climed up on the roof to inspect the top. No leaks. So, we bought it and the guy was nice enough to deliver it to us. As soon as we walked inside we noticed that the bed was damp. Leaking roof. Drat. Since it had dried up a week or so later, we took it camping (we're total newbies to this, too) and had a great time. But I knew the roof would have to be repaired.

Since the leak was within the first 2 ft of the front, I decided to put an aluminum front cap on the roof. The front of the cap falls down the front of the trailer a foot or so, as well. While I was in there, I tore out all the old rafters and replaced them with treated lumber and plywood that was twice the size of the originals. It looks quite nice, if I say so myself. And the air blows ice cold, the water heater works as does the heating system, and we have a real bathroom in it. It's not a luxury trailer, but it'll get our feet wet (not literally!) in this hobby and see if it's what she envisioned all along.

So far, I'm having fun. I just hope our GMC Envoy (with Chevy small block) can keep up with the task!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    The wife and I decided to finally buy a travel trailer and do the camping thing. Neither of us have any experience so this should be adventurous to say the least. I just upgraded the brakes on my F150 and bought a weight distribution/ sway bar to tow this 7000 lb 33' trailer.

We thought we had this last week but the sellers bank was really slow on the process, however they were nice enough to deliver it to us from an hour south but when they got here they told us they locked the doors and forgot the keys. LOL arrrggghhhh so we had a trailer in our driveway for 2 days before I finally got time to drive down to their house and pick up they keys.

Trying to talk the wife into letting me get a new F250 but thats gonna take some time : )

Going to try a few different campsites before deciding on a place to park for next season.

Now I have an excuse to break out my cajon : )

Trailer.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    That’s awesome. Congratulations!

As far as the F250, it just depends on where & how far you want to travel. If it’s just to local lakes and mostly flat, then the 1/2T would be fine. Especially if it has a tow package or it’s an EcoBoost. If you want to go travel the country or plan on pulling in some big hills or mountains, then the F250 (or even F350) would be a safer way to go. It’s not as much about power as it is about suspension, stability, brakes and having components designed for the consistent added stress. Going to a diesel would be advantageous if you’re gonna be traveling a lot.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nope. Roughing for me is defined as staying at a Courtyard Marriott instead of a J.W. Marriott.

User Info Menu

We’ve been RVing for about 12 years now. Just bought our 4th trailer. Everyone has been a gradual upgrade over the last. We absolutely love glamping.

And I HIGHLY recommend moving up to a 3/4 ton truck for a 7000 lb trailer. Tow ratings on 1/2 ton trucks are deceiving.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Texdrumr; 08-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.