Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've finally reach that point ,no more drum buying

User Info Menu

Default I've finally reach that point ,no more drum buying

I was working in Portland this weekend and I passed by my local drum shop , I haven't been there in quite a while so I stopped in.
    First thing I see is a DW designer series acrylic kit 6 piece slightly used, looked great, $1300.00. I immediately left and went to my Credit Union and took the cash out of my savings and headed back to the shop. I was all set to buy this kit. As I got closer to the store I started thinking why am I going to buy this kit? I'm struggling with joint pain when I play and I really don't play any where nears as much as I used to. I pulled into the parking lot , turned around and dove back out. This is the first time in 45 years I've been able to resist buying drum gear. I consider it a milestone. If anyone is interested you can find the kit on E-bay. That is if it's not sold yet. It's a beauty.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I've finally reach that point ,no more drum buying

"This is the first time in 45 years I've been able to resist buying drum gear. I consider it a milestone".

You have reached "Enlightenment". Before you lose it, you should talk to Bish and Spaz.

I know of only 3 places in the USA where you can find more than 50 snare drums. Sam Ash, Memphis Drum Shop, and Zack's house.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "This is the first time in 45 years I've been able to resist buying drum gear. I consider it a milestone".

You have reached "Enlightenment". Before you lose it, you should talk to Bish and Spaz.

I know of only 3 places in the USA where you can find more than 50 snare drums. Sam Ash, Memphis Drum Shop, and Zack's house.

I seriously just cracked up laughing so hard and it's even better cause I'm at work. Everyone started looking at me like I'm crazy lol

User Info Menu

Yeah I am starting to think I may be getting close myself. But it May just be because I have 4 more weeks at least before my new Luddy comes in. : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm done too.

User Info Menu

Believe it or not, Me 3!

I've almost completely sold out of everything I no longer want, need or use. Even sold my prize possession, my PRS Custom 24 guitar that I wouldn't even sell to my guitarist a year ago. Sold it last night.

I'm done with all the materialistic possessions. What's even better is I've kept my wife up to date on my selling progress so she's come to be enlightened on how much I've spent over the years, Me, too, really.

To date, I've sold almost $10,000.00 worth of gear. I'm not missing anything that is no longer in Bish's Beat Barn. I almost have my debt in check. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Believe it or not, Me 3!

I've almost completely sold out of everything I no longer want, need or use. Even sold my prize possession, my PRS Custom 24 guitar that I wouldn't even sell to my guitarist a year ago. Sold it last night.

I'm done with all the materialistic possessions. What's even better is I've kept my wife up to date on my selling progress so she's come to be enlightened on how much I've spent over the years, Me, too, really.

To date, I've sold almost $10,000.00 worth of gear. I'm not missing anything that is no longer in Bish's Beat Barn. I almost have my debt in check. lol
    And unicorns are real.

User Info Menu

It'll pass it's just a faze they're going through
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

. "Everyone started looking at me like I'm crazy lol"

I suppose that it never occurred to you that they have a better than 50-50 chance of being correct.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    And unicorns are real.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    It'll pass it's just a faze they're going through

With Bish we will know in about a month by how bad the withdrawals are.

If he is spotted running around sweating profusely looking for a dealer, we will know that "enlightenment" has not fully reached him.

As far as Spaz goes, sadly, I hold out little hope for him. Cailyn gave him 2 beautiful little girls, he gave her noise. Definitely not a fair trade off.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever mentioned it but I'm a minimalist. I rarely ever buy anything I don't need. I don't own that much either and I like it that way. I read somewhere long ago that "what you own, owns you" and there's a lot of truth to that.

NPYYZ, I hope your joint pain gets better.

User Info Menu

"I don't think I've ever mentioned it but I'm a minimalist. I rarely ever buy anything I don't need. I don't own that much either and I like it that way. I read somewhere long ago that "what you own, owns you" and there's a lot of truth to that".

There is a lot of crap laying around my house that owns me. Have to see if they start helping with the bills.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

This will fit in well here.

Untitled by Joe D, on Flickr

And here is a pic of the kit.

s-l500 by Joe D, on Flickr
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 08-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I won’t say I’m done “forever”, but I’m in a comfortable spot. I’ve looked at new kits, cymbals and snares multiple times over the last year, but was able to walk away. I look at the price and ask myself, “is it that much better than what I already have that spending the money makes sense?”. The answer is almost always “no”.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I won’t say I’m done “forever”, but I’m in a comfortable spot. I’ve looked at new kits, cymbals and snares multiple times over the last year, but was able to walk away. I look at the price and ask myself, “is it that much better than what I already have that spending the money makes sense?”. The answer is almost always “no”.
    My deal is I've always wanted an acrylic kit. I just think they look cool. But I'll be retiring in 5 years and that money will serve my wife and I better in the retirement fund. Looking back on all the money I've spent on drums in my life, it's ridiculous , I'd love to have that cash in my savings now. The owner of the drum shop always jokes that i put his kids through college. I'm sure I helped.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I don't think I've ever mentioned it but I'm a minimalist. I rarely ever buy anything I don't need. I don't own that much either and I like it that way. I read somewhere long ago that "what you own, owns you" and there's a lot of truth to that.

NPYYZ, I hope your joint pain gets better.
    Thanks , I got some recommendations from my Doctor , exercises I can do to relax my joints before I play. It's basically just bending at the knees and elbows , rotating my wrists , squeezing a small rubber ball for my fingers and hands, stuff like that , it's sort of a warm up before playing. It helps. There are also meds I can take but I won't go that route unless it gets a lot worse. Sometimes the side effects are worse than the original problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Thanks , I got some recommendations from my Doctor , exercises I can do to relax my joints before I play. It's basically just bending at the knees and elbows , rotating my wrists , squeezing a small rubber ball for my fingers and hands, stuff like that , it's sort of a warm up before playing. It helps. There are also meds I can take but I won't go that route unless it gets a lot worse. Sometimes the side effects are worse than the original problem.

This getting old stuff sucks. If I don't wrap my wrists, they hurt like hell when I'm done playing.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I won't lie.. I'm going through withdraws myself since building this music room.
    It's a terrible addiction but it's better than drugs!

User Info Menu

I'm at the point now where I don't see myself buying any more drum kits. I've been picking up cymbals lately, as well as hardware and some PA gear, but I think I'm done with large purchases.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    My deal is I've always wanted an acrylic kit. I just think they look cool. But I'll be retiring in 5 years and that money will serve my wife and I better in the retirement fund. Looking back on all the money I've spent on drums in my life, it's ridiculous , I'd love to have that cash in my savings now. The owner of the drum shop always jokes that i put his kids through college. I'm sure I helped.
    Yep, seeing the same thing. Shaking my head, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yep, seeing the same thing. Shaking my head, too!
    Don't even get me started...

Glad to have hosted DC alumni JohnnyG to witness as Spaz described "the addiction"...

Last edited by late8; 08-13-2019 at 02:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Any kits that I acquire from now on will probably be vintage stuff. I have no problem collecting stuff that will increase in value.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have 2 kits, both purchased used and way below original price. One is mine, one is for my son. I still like to look, but except for 1 more crash for my set I think I am done buying for quite some time.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

Gee Pou Guest

I am minimal too when it comes to buying drum gear but not so when buying toys e.g. truck, boat, utv, snowmobile, compact tractor etc etc.
    Last edited by Gee Pou; 08-14-2019 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Wish I could stop. Just bought two kits in two days.............
    The Varukers.