Thread: Slingerland Project Progressing - Almost Done

User Info Menu

Default Slingerland Project Progressing - Almost Done

Just to recap, last year I received an NOS Slingerland Concert King set, and added to the 12/13/16 configuration Studio King 10" and 18" toms (also new, NOS). Since the drums didn't match, I rewrapped the entire assemblage with the same Delmar/Slingerland White Marine Pearl wrap that was used during the Nashville/Conway era. I also added a Slingerland 3-ply maple snare with cast hoops.

Because the Studio King drums had cast hoops from the factory, I decided to add cast hoops to the rest of the drums, as well. This was a tall order since I live on such a meager pension, but the Lord blessed me by allowing me to find brand new cast hoops for everything except the 13" tom for a ridiculously low price. I've always wanted a kit with cast hoops, but I was unprepared for the change that they made in these toms. The hi frequencies were somewhat muted, of course, but the toms now have much more "body" and "warmth" than with the Stick Saver hoops. They tune up very easily and have stayed in tune, so far.

Anyway, having just cleaned up my cymbals, I decided to photo everything before the dust started to settle. Please note that the setup in the pics will never be used when I gig. That's just way more equipment than I can competently handle! For gigs I'll be resorting to my typical one-up, two-down with a couple of cymbals.

The only other changes I intend to make is sealing the shell interiors with the same clear lacquer that comes standard on the Studio King drums. Not a hard job to do, just time-consuming, and I dread having to disassemble the toms again. But I'll get it done - eventually.

Hope you enjoy the photos. Excuse the clutter in our wash room!

GeeDeeEmm

Slingerland House Shots 001.jpg
    Slingerland House Shots 003.jpg
    Slingerland House Shots 012.jpg
    Slingerland House Shots 015.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland Project Progressing - Almost Done

Too cool for school! Love it!!

User Info Menu

Stunning kit!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

That wrap works for me.................beautiful.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Doesn't get much more classic then WMP Slingerlands. Nice job. I've had multiple Slingy's, but never the newer ones. Sounds like they're great drums............
    Just picked up a 1964 WMP set. Check the Slingerland thread.

Gee Pou Guest

Love the singerland brand since I was a teenager they were around a lot. She is a beauty.

User Info Menu

absolutely love it!

User Info Menu

That is a way cool drum set. May they give you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army