Thread: Mic for Cajon

User Info Menu

Default Mic for Cajon

I joined a band as a percussionist. My main instrument is a cajon. Are there opinions about what would be a good mic to use with it?

Thanks in advance,
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mic for Cajon

If I were to attempt it, I’d use a Sure 57 or 58....probably start with a 57. May need 2 mics to get the full sound; one behind to capture the bass and one in front to capture the slap sound off the tapa.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I never would have thought of using TWO mics. Love your sig, BTW.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I bought two Digital Reference Instrument mics. One of my friends said that they would work well. I would have tried them tonight, but practice was cancelled. I think I'll take them to the theatre where I volunteer and see how they sound through the PA there.
    Jack

User Info Menu

I FINALLY got to try my mcis last night. It turns out that one of them stuck in the sound hole works well. The rest of the band was happy with the results.
    Jack

User Info Menu

Cool Jack. I was wondering which solution you would go with.