Thread: Smaller Tom sounding deeper than bigger Tom

User Info Menu

Default (Solved) Smaller Tom sounding deeper than bigger Tom

Hello, so I have a 10” by 8’’ tom, and then a 12'' by 9'' inch tom. My smaller tom has a deeper sound than my bigger tom. Why is this happening?

I have correctly tuned both drums but I can't seem to fix it.

Plus, I have Evans SoundOff pads, and when I put them on, my bigger tom is deeper.

(Tuned them correctly now)
    Last edited by TannerB; 09-13-2019 at 09:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Smaller Tom sounding deeper than bigger Tom

You have 10 foot wide 8 foot deep drums?! That's amazing! Guinness Book of Records big hahaha

Are these toms from the same brand same company?!
    If tuned properly there should be no reason the 10 is deeper than the 12.
    I've never had that happen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    You have 10 foot wide 8 foot deep drums?! That's amazing! Guinness Book of Records big hahaha

Are these toms from the same brand same company?!
    If tuned properly there should be no reason the 10 is deeper than the 12.
    I've never had that happen
    Meant to put inches lol

Anyways, yeah, they're both Pearl Drums. Is it like the drum heads maybe or like I somehow tuned them incorrectly? And the smaller was also deeper when I got them.

User Info Menu

They're both Pearl drums. Could it be a drumhead problem or did I just not tune correctly? They came assembled and I'm pretty sure I had the problem when they came.

(Also sorry if there is another message from me, it doesn't show up. Also fixed numbers in the post lol)

User Info Menu

When you say "deeper" do you mean lower in fundamental pitch, or richer in tone? The only way I can imagine the 12" tom being higher in pitch than the 10" tom is if the 10" is tensioned low and the 12" is cranked up pretty high. Loosen the tension evenly on the top and bottom heads on the 12" and if needed increase the tension evenly on the 10 incher and unless you are in a magic place the relative fundamental pitches/tones should descend "correctly".
    If you're talking about the richness of tone, timbre and/or sustain then I would think it's head related or your 12 incher has a construction problem as in roundness, bent rim(s), delaminated plies, super bad edges, etc. If the heads are matching brands and weights, it's possible the 12" just has a deffective head on it.
    Then of course there's the magic of room acoustics. What if you move your drums?

User Info Menu

Do not underestimate the impact of the resonator (bottom head) on the overall tone/pitch of the drum. It is quite possible to tune the batter (top) head to a pitch but for this to change substantially when it interacts with the resonator head. This YouTube video gives some good insights into this:

PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I just went to a students house on Sunday and his 12" tom was higher pitch than his 10"
    Turns out his reso head was cranked TIGHT on the 12"

I spent an hour retuning his kit properly.

User Info Menu

Yeah I kinda had the same problem, my 12 inch was too tight