Thread: Anyone Else???

User Info Menu

Default Anyone Else???

Anyone else take a few days off the kit and when you get back on you come up with new stuff right off the top of your head? I haven't played for a few days and I got on my kit today, started messing around with some fills and I came up with some pretty cool stuff (cool stuff for me)..... Does this happen to anyone else?

User Info Menu

Yeah, that happens to me too. I think it's because I get a little burnt out if I play every day, and when I come back after taking a few days away from it I'm more into it.

User Info Menu

DC, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes, when I am trying hard to work something out without any success, I just put down the sticks for at least 24 hrs. It's amazing how my brain seems to work things out even though I am not physically practicing, because when I go back to the kit, I can usually do the very thing I struggled with before!

Congrats on the new fills!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Happens all the time, DC. One of the best exercises you can do is "visualization". Which means you see yourself in your mind's eye doing exactly what it is you want to do. The brain works out the motor functions beforehand and voila! You're more able to do it. That's why after taking a break after trying something new (and having difficulty with it), it seems a bit easier when you go back to it. Just because you consciously stopped doing the task doesn't mean your brain has stopped working on the problem. Subconsciously the gray matter continues to work on the problem until you physically go back to it and bring it to the fore consciously. Kinda like waking up in the middle of the night with a "Eureka!" thought... even though you're asleep, your brain isn't and is working on all the problems you dealt with over the past several days. Pretty amazing thing, our brains. Now, that doesn't mean you'll physically be able to do things that your body simply is incapable of doing (lifting very heavy objects, "speed" drumming, etc.) as you have to have the right musculature in place first. But if you have the physical capabilities, the brain can and will make you be able to do it!

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 12-16-2007 at 10:26 AM.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

everytime it happens to me DC! I think its because you get caught up in the same routeen stuff. and when you take a break, its like your set free again to do what ever you want.

User Info Menu

Good stuff here guys, you're awesome as usual! Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

I think ignoring the kit for a bit, and listening to some music you enjoy while tapping your foot, or doing a bit of hand tapping opens up floodgates of possibilities!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Anyone else take a few days off the kit and when you get back on you come up with new stuff right off the top of your head? I haven't played for a few days and I got on my kit today, started messing around with some fills and I came up with some pretty cool stuff (cool stuff for me)..... Does this happen to anyone else?

Do you mean no playing at all including rudiments on a pad or just not playing on the kit for a few days? I just cant help that if I dont play the kit for whatever reason, I end up doing something on the pad. But yes, I find my long term memory is explored when spent some time away from the kit
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Do you mean no playing at all including rudiments on a pad or just not playing on the kit for a few days? I just cant help that if I dont play the kit for whatever reason, I end up doing something on the pad. But yes, I find my long term memory is explored when spent some time away from the kit
    No drumming at all, no pad, no kit.

User Info Menu

Just like anything else I suppose, its good to take a break every now and then..just like the weekends from work lol
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

arg... I work 24 hours every weekend!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

hey DC, these things happen to me a lot! why? because when i am not playing i am inspiring to play, i am practicing in my thought and i am imagining myself on the drum. so there is this enthusiasm you have when you are not on the drum for long! but dont do this all the time and for a very long while!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I find that if I stop for a couple of days, and if I have really been working on something that is difficult for me. When I come back to playing again I usally find that what I thought was difficult isn't so bad after I return. I don't know if I need a couple of days to let my brain assimilate to muscle memory or what, I can't figure it out! All I know is it works.

User Info Menu

happens all the time