Thread: Questions about drum racks

User Info Menu

Default Questions about drum racks

Hello, I just have a few questions about drum racks.

1. What exactly are they used for? Is it like if you have a lot of cymbals or something?

2. If so, would it be better to get a drum rack instead of cymbal stands if I'm planning on getting several cymbals?

3. If I should buy one, what are some good brands/racks that I should get?

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Questions about drum racks

Racking a kit is a personal preference. I liked them, used them a lot regardless of how many cymbals I used.

Transporting a rack is a major consideration when gigging. They are usually larger pieces than how nicely a stand can be compressed. Then inserted into a carry container of some sort.

All stands can usually fit into one case. I used to just man handle my rack and keep it in one piece and just lug the entire thing into the gig.

Set up time can be reduced but again depends on how many stands you would normally carry.

I preferred the Pearl Icon rack due to the squared rails that guaranteed no slippage ever. I also owned a PDP rack and it had curved rails. They never slipped on me either but being round, over time the potential could be there.

Price is another consideration. I good rack can easily be as much as a handful of stands.

Over time you can better gauge if a rack is in your best interest. The best way is to buy one and alternate between your existing gear and the rack. Experience has no equal.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Alright, thank you. I'll probably just get one eventually once I get enough money to buy a good one.

User Info Menu

Have used racks over the years (Gibraltar & DW). They are great if you want the perfect set up every time. They can be a PITA to carry around & also on & off stage if you gig a lot. I now use Gibraltar Stealth Racks & find them to be excellent
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I only use them if I'm either 1.) playing a house gig where you leave your gear set up for days at a time or 2.) in a band with roadies that help with set up and tear down. Otherwise, they're a pain in the ***.

User Info Menu

For me, a drum rack is another tool in the box to use to set up a kit and the circumstances to use one is subject to change from gig to gig.

As others have posted, it’s boils down to personal preferences such as:

Esthetics
    Space
    Convenience
    Last edited by late8; 09-22-2019 at 12:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I play a decent sized kit so a rack it the right choice for me. It allows me to get everything exactly where I want it. Set up and a tear down is a breeze , everything is memory locked so the set up is the same every time. Takes me 30 to 45 minute to set my kit up. I prefer Gibraltar road series racks. They are tough , DO NOT SLIP if used properly and they have everything you need to be as creative as you want with your set up.

Untitled by Joe D, on Flickr

Untitled by Joe D, on Flickr
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 12-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.

User Info Menu

4 of my kits are on a rack and I wouldn't have it any other way... but my smaller simpler kits definitely do not need the rack.
    If your kit is big enough and has enough pieces/accessories/cymbals a rack is definitely a great way to go.

I also love a rack when playing out a lot as setup is fast and consistent, but traveling with a rack is tougher IMO as it's bulkier

User Info Menu

What do you drive? I'm guessing a truck or SUV of some sort?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    What do you drive? I'm guessing a truck or SUV of some sort?
    me? a Honda CRV