Thread: Cajon Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Cajon Bongos

At least I think they're called cajon bongos. Anyway, I played some of these things at a local drum shop, and I love them. They have a very warm pop, but very low volume though, in a live application they would almost certainly have to be microphoned. I bet they'd be awesome with some mallets though. I think perhaps they were made by Meinl, but I don't remember, and this is the only picture of one that I could find online. Has anyone else ever seen these, or played them?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I don't know if it would be called a cajon necessarily (reference Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajon) but those are really cool. I think they would just be regular bongos only made out of all wood instead of wood and real heads. I would think they might hurt your hands a bit. Maybe not. Do they project more than regular bongos?

User Info Menu

The look like a fancy cutting board

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Do they project more than regular bongos?
    They don't really project much at all, which is why I mentioned mic-ing them for any live application. They sound great though, and would never need tuned. They aren't as hard on your hands as you'd think they are. I only called the cajon bongos, because that's the name I found them under online. I know what a cajon is. I couln't figure out any other way to name them though... all wood bongos? eh, oh well.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool Cajon Bongos

Hey, krys, I've seen the ones you've posted in this thread...

but here's another set from a different manufacturer...and they're called just as you described them...

http://www.x8drums.com/cajon-bongos-p/tykb.htm

actually, drummer, they're supposed to have the sound of a conventional cajon but are similar in size to bongos...I suspect you'd have to use mallets on them to get a loud sound out of them, but mic'd properly you could play them with hands...

have to admit you'd have no problems with sizing or replacing drum heads...

is this gonna be the next item on your wish list, krys?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i've played a conga and djembe that were all wood like those. i really liked both alot. and would get some if i didnt have a monster "to buy" list already.

User Info Menu

Cool Cajon Bongos

whoa, funkster--didn't know they have cajon congas and djembes now...these I gotta see...and play!

Thanks for the heads-up (pun intended), bro'! Got a link to them?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

no link, but i'm pretty sure they were made by toca.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Bongos

I don't know if it would be called a cajon necessarily (reference Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajon) but those are really cool.
    I Agree. Cajon means: box in Spanish. My avatar is a bongo Cajon. With built in high / low boxes for the bongo sound effect.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Bongos

I don't know if it would be called a cajon necessarily (reference Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajon) but those are really cool.
    I am also surprised why the manufacturer calls them Cajon bongos because Cajon means "Box" in Spanish? I own a Meinl bongo (Box) rectangle shaped Cajon. Interesting. I have seen these before. I also wonder how they sound?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."