Thread: Do I just have bad GAS?

User Info Menu

Default Do I just have bad GAS?

I took a break from the drums for about 2 years due to space limitations and life in general. One thing I have noticed in my time back is that I'm never really happy with my drums and end up selling or trading them (it drives my wife nuts ). For example, when I was a kid I was always dreamed of owning a set of DW drums. So I went a got a set of them and they just didn't work for me. Now I have a really nice set of Natal drums that I really like but don't have that "can't get rid of them" feeling. I would trade/sell them in a heartbeat if the right bop set came up. I don't if I just need to find my "dream kit" or I need to stop looking at drums and just be happy.

Anyone else had this problem before?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do I just have bad GAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I took a break from the drums for about 2 years due to space limitations and life in general. One thing I have noticed in my time back is that I'm never really happy with my drums and end up selling or trading them (it drives my wife nuts ). For example, when I was a kid I was always dreamed of owning a set of DW drums. So I went a got a set of them and they just didn't work for me. Now I have a really nice set of Natal drums that I really like but don't have that "can't get rid of them" feeling. I would trade/sell them in a heartbeat if the right bop set came up. I don't if I just need to find my "dream kit" or I need to stop looking at drums and just be happy.

Anyone else had this problem before?
    I think a lot of people "chase" after what they feel will be the perfect drum set. I know I have had GAS bad a few times in the last few years, but just recently I realized that if I spent all of the time on my kit that I spend perusing CL, FB Marketplace, Reverb, etc, the drums I have would sound much better because I would actually BE better on them.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I'm always on the looking out for another kit at a good deal. . .
    But all these guys will tell you I have an addiction lol

User Info Menu

I’ve pretty much exhausted my funds on drums but still look around for a great deal. At one point, I had 7 acoustic kits and 1 ekit but I’m now down to 2 due to lack storage space and a place to practice.

I spend a lot of down time at work looking at kits on eBay but I’d have to sell what I have in order to make it happen and that’s a hassle for me to do so I’m done with GAS for now.

User Info Menu

I still laugh at the word GAS. Does that make it laughing GAS?

#corny #youcandobettertom

User Info Menu

For me there’s no “perfect kit”. Honestly, at my talent level, my $100 Sound Percussion Bop Kit is more than adequate. It’s proven itself on every live gig over the last several years. The drums are not the limiting factor in my case.
    To me, the fun is in the hunt and acquisition of new and different kits. It adds an extra bit of excitement to the hobby.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"Do I just have bad GAS?"

If it makes it to North Carolina and my eyes start burning, I would have to say yes.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS