Thread: Ginger Baker in the Hospital

User Info Menu

Default Ginger Baker in the Hospital

Not sure if you heard but Ginger Baker, original drummer of Cream, was admitted to the hospital last week and in critical condition. He has suffered from heart issues, COPD and degenerative osteoarthritis. It was reported today that he is "holding his own".

220px-Ginger_Baker_2011.JPG

Article: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...update-892468/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ginger Baker in the Hospital

Thanks for passing this on.

User Info Menu

That video of the guy that goes to his home to interview him is pretty good. Don't know what year it was but he was still smoking with an oxygen bottle next to him
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

He died.

User Info Menu

RIP Ginger Baker.
    During the Summer of Love (Summer, 1967) I bought a number of albums, some of which became cornerstones in prog-rock history.
    Two of those were Sgt. Peppers and Disraeli Gears...................I would soon celebrate my 14th birthday and these recordings would become very influential to me.................I already was a big fan of Ringo and now Baker would be someone I could like that would provide a bit more interest to the songs.
    A year later I made an auto-buy to the 2-disc release Wheels of Fire and enjoyed all those provisions as well.
    I would have owned my first kit for about 2 years and would try to play along with the Cream songs.
    Fast forward to the late 80s and Baker would arrive in my city to host a drum clinic..............I was writing rock stories for a local tabloid at the time.
    I called the music store that was the clinic sponsor and asked if there was any way I could interview Mr. Baker -- the answer was YES and they instructed me to show up in the early afternoon and find them in the back room setting up the kit for the Baker clinic to occur that evening.
    On the way over to the interview, I ran by the local record store and bought a new copy of Disraeli Gears by Cream and Mr. Baker autographed the literature for me..............I still have that CD today.
    Below are a couple of photos that recall that day...............

GBaker2.jpg

GBaker4.jpg

GBaker5.jpg
    Last edited by Ricardo; 10-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

A wonderful tribute Ricardo, thank you.