Drum Domains

Thread: Use of having a crash-ride cymbal and a ride cymbal?

User Info Menu

Default Use of having a crash-ride cymbal and a ride cymbal?

Hello, so I was wondering if there was a use of having a crash-ride cymbal along with a normal ride cymbal? Like is there a noise difference? Should I have both or just one of them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Use of having a crash-ride cymbal and a ride cymbal?

There is no firm answer anyone can give to this. It simply depends on what you like and how you play. There are some drummers who use ride cymbals only and have no crashes. There are others who have no ride at all. There are others who will have a ride with a combination of other cymbals - this is probably the majority.

Additionally, it will depend on how the crash/ride and ride sound together and whether you like them and feel they compliment each other. When I was a younger, much less experienced, drummer I'd go cymbal shopping and pick a cymbal in isolation. I'd feel the cymbal sounded great in the shop but when played with the rest of my setup, it simply didn't work. Now, where at all possible, I'll always take my current cymbals to the store and audition cymbals alongside my current ones; many drum stores have rooms with drums and stands set up specifically for this purpose.

So, bottom line - only you can decide if a crash/ride would work with a ride - there are no hard and fast rules.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I've never heard a crash/ride that I like.

Now I have heard good rides that can be crashed... and I have heard good crash cymbals that can be used as a ride
    But for a cymbal to be made specifically as a "crash/ride" have always been GARBAGE.
    I tell all my students and their parents to stay away from them like the plague.
    But a crash and buy a ride, don't buy a crash/ride
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini |4pc PDP Concept Maple Classic| 58 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

My very 1st cymbal was and is a Zildjian 18" crash ride. While it's true it's not the best at either it has the sweetest richest bell I've ever heard. It's permanantly parked about 6" above and overlapping my 16" FT and is used mostly on endings hit from the bottom while trash can rolling the tom.

User Info Menu

I just got my first crash ride, an 18 A Zildjian. I got it mostly to cut down on the number of cymbals to bring to gigs with small stage areas.
    I did find that it's not the best crash or ride. I think its best use is if you want do a ride and instead of the ping sound using the tip of the stick, you want more of a crashy wash sound hitting the edge of the cymbal. In that way it's more of an effect cymbal really. It doesn't work well as the main ride cymbal of your set up.

DW Design Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage Tama Superstar Gretsch Catalina Ash Slingerland

Yamaha DTX532k Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad Roland PD-85 pads (x3) Alessis Sample Pad

Tama SLP Black Brass snare Tama SLP G Maple snare

Tama and DW hardware

Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Miktek, Audix and Shure Mics

User Info Menu

I have a 19" Zildjian Z3 Thrash Ride to my right and never ride it. Love it as a crash though. Always sounds good (to me).

Was thinking about getting another one for awhile. Excellent for loudness
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP