Thread: Use of having a crash-ride cymbal and a ride cymbal?

User Info Menu

Default Use of having a crash-ride cymbal and a ride cymbal?

Hello, so I was wondering if there was a use of having a crash-ride cymbal along with a normal ride cymbal? Like is there a noise difference? Should I have both or just one of them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Use of having a crash-ride cymbal and a ride cymbal?

There is no firm answer anyone can give to this. It simply depends on what you like and how you play. There are some drummers who use ride cymbals only and have no crashes. There are others who have no ride at all. There are others who will have a ride with a combination of other cymbals - this is probably the majority.

Additionally, it will depend on how the crash/ride and ride sound together and whether you like them and feel they compliment each other. When I was a younger, much less experienced, drummer I'd go cymbal shopping and pick a cymbal in isolation. I'd feel the cymbal sounded great in the shop but when played with the rest of my setup, it simply didn't work. Now, where at all possible, I'll always take my current cymbals to the store and audition cymbals alongside my current ones; many drum stores have rooms with drums and stands set up specifically for this purpose.

So, bottom line - only you can decide if a crash/ride would work with a ride - there are no hard and fast rules.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I've never heard a crash/ride that I like.

Now I have heard good rides that can be crashed... and I have heard good crash cymbals that can be used as a ride
    But for a cymbal to be made specifically as a "crash/ride" have always been GARBAGE.
    I tell all my students and their parents to stay away from them like the plague.
    But a crash and buy a ride, don't buy a crash/ride

User Info Menu

My very 1st cymbal was and is a Zildjian 18" crash ride. While it's true it's not the best at either it has the sweetest richest bell I've ever heard. It's permanantly parked about 6" above and overlapping my 16" FT and is used mostly on endings hit from the bottom while trash can rolling the tom.

User Info Menu

I just got my first crash ride, an 18 A Zildjian. I got it mostly to cut down on the number of cymbals to bring to gigs with small stage areas.
    I did find that it's not the best crash or ride. I think its best use is if you want do a ride and instead of the ping sound using the tip of the stick, you want more of a crashy wash sound hitting the edge of the cymbal. In that way it's more of an effect cymbal really. It doesn't work well as the main ride cymbal of your set up.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I have a 19" Zildjian Z3 Thrash Ride to my right and never ride it. Love it as a crash though. Always sounds good (to me).

Was thinking about getting another one for awhile. Excellent for loudness
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I really like using one cymbal as a crash and a ride, one cymbal as a crash, and hats. One of the fun things about drumming is that one can do whatever one wants. If you want two different ride sounds, use a ride and a crash-ride. For MANY years, I wanted a pingy ride, but now I prefer a washy ride. At church I play an HHX Evolution Ride, and I ride and crash it. Our church is really small, so I do not play very loud. On my set I am using an AAX 19" X-plosion Crash as a ride and a crash. Do whatever you want. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I've never heard a crash/ride that I like.
    That's me. I either want a very significant ride cymbal or a very specific crash. I just don't care for them together. Never have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Now, where at all possible, I'll always take my current cymbals to the store and audition cymbals alongside my current ones; many drum stores have rooms with drums and stands set up specifically for this purpose.
    I actually never considered doing this, but now that you mention it, I think that's a fantastic idea.
    I've only gotten so lucky that what I've bought works with my kit (partly because while I'd be drumming, I'd be thinking "Man, this would sound so much better if this particular cymbal was crisper" and then go looking for that sound) but I think I'm going to do this from now on, when I buy cymbals.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

(Labels shouldn’t matter) If you hit it and it sounds good to you, that’s what matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    (Labels shouldn’t matter) If you hit it and it sounds good to you, that’s what matters.
    My sentiments exactly. I was never hung up on labels. My kit is a mix of several different brands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I'll always take my current cymbals to the store and audition cymbals alongside my current ones.
    The best way!
    Of course there are those times shopping online where you see an unbelievable deal but that’s still taking a chance stab in the dark.
    I know from experience and have purchased some losers! Then again, I own several kits and have found to make it work somewhere.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-22-2020 at 07:25 PM.