Thread: Bass drum/snare mic issue

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum/snare mic issue

Got an issue when playing live. I get a "ring" in my bass drum mic (Audix D6). I have changed my resonant bass head to Evans EQ3. I had an Evans Genera Dry on the snare head with a clear 500 resonant head. The issue seems to be coming from the snare. I changed my snare batter head to an Evans Hydraulic. I have tried gels on the top and bottom heads of the snare. It has helped but has killed my snare sound. Any advice to eliminating this ring ? Thanks !
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum/snare mic issue

How and where are you mounting your bass drum mic?

And is this like a feedback ringing?

User Info Menu

Any muffling done to the kick?

User Info Menu

I use Evans EQ 3 heads on my kick with no muffling , I put the mic inside the drum and it sounds great. Don't know why you would be getting any interference from your snare drum. You shouldn't be. Could be a EQ thing causing some type of feedback.

User Info Menu

Where is your snare mic pointed? Point it to the center of the head, if not. Pointing your snare/tom mics towards the edge will give you more overtones. As for the Audix bass drum mic, either have it inside the Reso head completely, but just inside, or else very near the batter head. Those are the two positions Audix suggests.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Where is your snare mic pointed? Point it to the center of the head, if not. Pointing your snare/tom mics towards the edge will give you more overtones. As for the Audix bass drum mic, either have it inside the Reso head completely, but just inside, or else very near the batter head. Those are the two positions Audix suggests.
    Forgot to add.....the Audix will work for a richer warmer BD tone by having it positioned just inside the reso port. NEVER position the mic in the port itself. If you want more attack then you position the mic nearer the batter head, yet still inside the drum. Hope that makes sense.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sorry I hadn't gotten back to this thread. Some life issues popped up and haven't been online much at all. The kick drum mic is just inside the reso head. Bass drum has the Evans muffling pad and I even added a small pillow on top of that. The snare mic is is mounted at about the 10 O'clock position on the snare head. It may have been pointed closer to the rim. I will definitely check that the next time I use this kit. And yes it is a ringing sound. I think it's an EQ issue as well but my sound man isn't having none of that so I let it be. Thanks for all the info guys. If I resolve the issue I will be sure to post here with the fix.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"