Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about wood hoops

User Info Menu

Default Question about wood hoops

I just bought some quite pricy wooden snare hoops from Gibraltar. I tried to fit the batter side hoop to my 5.5x14 Gretsch Renown snare and it would not fit. The throwoff is in the way (the hoop is too wide for the trowoff to pass by). I have the throwoff on that came with the snare. I'm just wondering if I changed to a Dunnett would the hoops fit.

QUESTION:
    Has anyone out ther run into this before and if so what did you do to solve it, other than return the hoops?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

I's worth a shot! What exactly are the benefits of wood hoops anyway?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Wood hoops give a better... well... hoop effect lol. I tried a Gretsch classic snare at GC with wood hoops, it was a maple drum, but had a much warmer sound then the normal Gretsch maple. You can also hit the hoops with your sticks and get that wood block effect.
    I would suggest the same, just take it to a music store, ask them about it, and replace your throwoff.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

hoop effect? like a rimshot?

User Info Menu

Pretty much, at least that's the only difference I noticed. If you hit a metal hoop, the sound is very clangy and sharp sometimes causing the snare to vibrate. The wood hoops sound warm and catch some of the vibration to stop the snare from getting in the way.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default Good question

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    I's worth a shot! What exactly are the benefits of wood hoops anyway?
    I really don't know. There is a sonar kit in one of the local drums stores and all the drums have wooden hoops on. They look pretty nice. I guess it's that wood-on-wood (rim-shot) sound that's nice and warm crack - I don't know. I don't have a lot of experience with it. But, I have the hoops now and I'd like to make them work if it's not too much trouble.

My thought when buying the wooden hoops was that since I have a wood (African mahogany) snare the wood hoops should complement the drum nicely - just experimenting here.

Also, down the road, I will be looking for a great sounding metal snare because I think nothing cuts it like a metal snare don't you think?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Pretty much, at least that's the only difference I noticed. If you hit a metal hoop, the sound is very clangy and sharp sometimes causing the snare to vibrate. The wood hoops sound warm and catch some of the vibration to stop the snare from getting in the way.
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I just sent an email to Ronn Dunnett to see if his throwoff will fit. I kind of like the looks of them and I hear there is a "slot" adjustment so you don't have to drill any holes - I think.
    Gary

User Info Menu

do the wooden hoops hold up pretty well under an onslaught of rim clicks? It seems like after a while they, like sticks, would break.... then it's just money down the drain. These do look nice though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    do the wooden hoops hold up pretty well under an onslaught of rim clicks? It seems like after a while they, like sticks, would break.... then it's just money down the drain. These do look nice though.

I guess I could notch my hoop like the one pictured here. Mine didn't come with a notch on the batter hoop - it only has the notches on the snare hoop for the snare parts to fit.

If I don't get a throwoff to fit I'll either take the hoops back or I can get out my pocket knife and start carving!
    Gary

User Info Menu

lol, glad to help!

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar batter-side WITH throwoff notch

I got an answer from Ronn Dunnett and I guess Gibraltar does make a wooden hoop with a notch for the throwoff.

I'll be ordering that one.............

Thanks all for your helpful comments here.

Cheers
    Gary

User Info Menu

If you put a Dunnett R Class on there it will fit. I had to do the same on my snare to make it clear the maple hoops. I didn't want to notch the hoops for the throw off, so The R class throw off worked beautifully. I did have to fabricate an additional bracket so that I wouldn't have to drill new holes in my snare shell. I made that out of billet aluminum and polished to a mirror finish to match the throw off, but it wasn't a problem and it was a really good upgrade compared to the stock throw off. I could post some pics if someone would tell me how or up load them for me.

User Info Menu

BTD, go to photobucket.com, and after you register with them you can upload the photos (or video) that you want to share. Sharing just requires you to post the link here. It's fairly simple.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    If you put a Dunnett R Class on there it will fit. I had to do the same on my snare to make it clear the maple hoops. I didn't want to notch the hoops for the throw off, so The R class throw off worked beautifully. I did have to fabricate an additional bracket so that I wouldn't have to drill new holes in my snare shell. I made that out of billet aluminum and polished to a mirror finish to match the throw off, but it wasn't a problem and it was a really good upgrade compared to the stock throw off. I could post some pics if someone would tell me how or up load them for me.
    Thanks.

Yes - Ronn mentioned R CLASS to me. I'm assuming they will fit right on my Renown snare without drilling a hole and having to fabricate anything (are they not slotted to fit any hole location?
    Ill take a look at some photos.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cool Question about wood hoops

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I got an answer from Ronn Dunnett and I guess Gibraltar does make a wooden hoop with a notch for the throwoff.

I'll be ordering that one.............

Thanks all for your helpful comments here.

Cheers
    Hey, kona, keep us posted on how they work for ya! I think they'd look cool on a wood drum kit...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Kona, The R class is adjustable to a degree. My holes were spread farther apart than the R class holes would adjust, so I just made a bracket to fit the original holes and bolted the R class to that. It looks factory original and I didn't have to drill new holes. I don't know what your original throw off looks like so it may very well just bolt up. You'll love the mapel hoops though. they make fantastic sounding rim clicks and from anywhere on the rim. You don't have to find the sweet spot. So rim clicks are always consistant sounding. You can also get trendous sounding rim shots as well. It also focused the drum a bit so I am pleased with the sound and look of the drum with them on it.

User Info Menu

Kona, The R class is adjustable to a degree. My holes were spread farther apart than the R class holes would adjust, so I just made a bracket to fit the original holes and bolted the R class to that. It looks factory original and I didn't have to drill new holes. I don't know what your original throw off looks like so it may very well just bolt up. You'll love the mapel hoops though. they make fantastic sounding rim clicks and from anywhere on the rim. You don't have to find the sweet spot. So rim clicks are always consistant sounding. You can also get trendous sounding rim shots as well. It also focused the drum a bit so I am pleased with the sound and look of the drum with them on it.
    Thanks - I'm looking forward to the wood hoops. My throwoff is pictured above.

I ordered a hoop with a notch in it and because I already paid for the wood hoops. I'm holding onto them and when mine comes in they will just do a straight swap.

I was tempted to go for the R Class hoop but I wanted to keep my batter solid wood rather than going for the metal lined wood hoop. I may still buy a Dunnett quick release though - they look really sturdy and I like the mechanics better (outward throwoff as apposed to the forward/backward sliding of my Gretsch.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, kona, keep us posted on how they work for ya! I think they'd look cool on a wood drum kit...
    Hello bongobro.
    Yes I'll post a nice photo of the snare for who's interested in what a Gretsch Renown African Mahogany snare looks like with maple hoops.
    Gary

User Info Menu

KONA, it looks like the R class would bolt right up in the original holes in your snare. I don't know if you know or not but the R class release lever will rotate 180 degress and anywhere in between if you desire. With my snare with maple hoops I just positioned it out of the way of the hoops. I hope this makes sense to you!

User Info Menu

Where do you get these wooden hoops from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhaAw@ View Post
    Where do you get these wooden hoops from?

Gibraltar distributor
    Dunnett's stuff is listed in the Gibraltar catalog.

I just now emailed my retailer to order me the DUNNETT R-Class matching throwoff (SC-DSLTO) and Butt End (SC-DSLBE).

These items are listed in Gibraltar's January Tech Report catalog on page 13. I don't have a price on them sorry.
    Last edited by kona; 12-18-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo and add something
    Gary

User Info Menu

You won't be disapointed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Gibraltar distributor
    Dunnett's stuff is listed in the Gibraltar catalog.

I just now emailed my retailer to order me the DUNNETT R-Class matching throwoff (SC-DSLTO) and Butt End (SC-DSLBE).

These items are listed in Gibraltar's January Tech Report catalog on page 13. I don't have a price on them sorry.
    Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Default Now My Snare Won't Fit My Pearl S-800 Snare Stand Basket !

Hi.
    While I'm waiting for my new wood snare batter (notched) hoop to arrive I put my reso. side wooden hoop and it really looks nice against my African Mahogany UV GLOSS finish. BUT, now the drum is to wide to fit my snare basket. The hoops are around 15.75" in diameter. My local drum shop didn't have anything in the store and he couldn't find anything in his "big box' warehouse to help me - he's still looking. He said a Pearl S-2000 would be able to accommodate the wood hoop but he said they're discontinued!

I'm wondering if a Gibraltar 9606 Ultra Adjust snare stand would work - do you know if it would?

What do you use?
    Gary

User Info Menu

You guys have me hooked on wood hoops now... my dream kit has changed... it is now custom made with a golden stained maple shell pack, and all wood hoops stained a bit darker, with black dw hardware.