Thread: Snare buzz questions

User Info Menu

Default Snare buzz questions

Hello, so Is it normal for a snare to buzz when you hit other drums? Because this happens to me. And also when I have a sound pad on my snare, there is no buzz, so would it be something with the top head's tuning?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare buzz questions

there are A LOT of variables in snare buzz to be honest.
    Pitch of tuning of all the drums, the tension, the type of wires, etc.

User Info Menu

You will always have some amount of snare buzz but you can limit it to where you really won't hear it while playing, even by yourself. I've outlined my methods before but will again for Tanner.
    The best results I've achieved are by getting the toms where I want them and in tune with themselves so as to reduce dissonance and as many stray frequencies as possible and focusing the fundamental pleasant tone. Then I tension the snare so the fundamental, and therefore the overtones as well, are NOT NOT NOT in harmony with the toms. Both heads. The less the toms can excite the snare heads, the less buzz. I run a pretty tight snare, especially the bottom head and this helps as well. The looser either or both snare heads are, The tougher it is to control those stray frequencies. I also run actual snare tension just below where it starts to choke the snares. that's a big help.
    The room and the position of the drums there-in can exacerbate the problem too.
    Don't feel bad Tanner; It only took me a few decades to figure that out.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 11-03-2019 at 08:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Alright, thank you. I'll try to figure it out.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There's the encyclopedia Tanner. What a resource Tom!