Thread: Audix Mic System

User Info Menu

Default Audix Mic System

While performing my home inventory purge, I did rather well. Too well, as it turns out.

Now that I'm going to continue to gig, I have to replace the drum mics I sold. Dummy, dummy, dummy. Ah but then how can one try different brands if they keep the same stuff for too long? Not I.

So, here's the 3rd big item I re-acquired.

Audix micing system for when I decide to take the acoustics out for a show.

Read good reviews so I hope these meet my expectations.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Audix Mic System

Also comes with the nice hard case you see.

Pretty darn cool, IMHO.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

NIce, I have a D6 bass drum mic. The rest of my mic's are Cad's but I usually just mic the bass drum and maybe 2 overheads from time to time.. Have never mic'd the tom's or snare yet. Do you run them into your own small board to the main board or right into the main board?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

yeah I really need to look into microphones

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    NIce, I have a D6 bass drum mic. The rest of my mic's are Cad's but I usually just mic the bass drum and maybe 2 overheads from time to time.. Have never mic'd the tom's or snare yet. Do you run them into your own small board to the main board or right into the main board?
    I normally only run 3 mics. Bass, snare and overhead so everything fit into the main board. Even if I mic everything with this new project, I'll still have enough channels to go direct to the main board. Never really had a need to bring my own mixer but I could if I had to.

Thanks for the question!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very nice! , Bish! I have a couple of the Audix mic clips like yours and they are the best! This is how I mic my bass drums. No internal mic'ing simply because I'm not gigging a whole lot like a lot of people. Plus I don't just use one kit all the time! lol.DSC02126.jpg Right off the spur using a Gibraltar SC-PUGC clamp.DSC02129.jpg
    Last edited by drummerMD; 11-08-2019 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice! How does the kick mic compare to the AKG D-112?

akg-d112-2.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Nice! How does the kick mic compare to the AKG D-112?

akg-d112-2.jpg
    That AKG is very popular and always a good solution.

I'll let you know more once I get to check these guys out.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I really need to look into microphones
    Zack, check out Miktek drum mics. They have a couple of drum mic kits at 2 different price points. They are great sounding, with very high quality components sourced internationally and assembled in Nashville.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

The D112 vs. the D6? I'll take the Audix, and did. Don't misunderstand - the D112 is a great bass drum mic, but in my case I always ended having to do some minor eq'ing to make it just right. Not with the D6. All bass-oriented mics are designed specifically for bass frequency reproduction (duh!), but the D6 is even more so. It has built-in boosts and cuts (passive, of course) in the frequency response that exactly dial in the frequencies that most of us want to cut or boost. In my case, the D6 went right out of the box and into its SHU mount and straight into service with ZERO equalization needed. That has been the case in every venue I've played, too.

When it comes to tom mics, I have Audix D4 or Shure SM57s to choose from. Honestly, to my ears the D4s are just slightly "warmer" than the SM57s, and I usually go with them. I play one (or two) up and two down, and if space on the mixer is limited I use one mic for every two toms. I simply slide the mic down in between the toms. And when I say "between," that's what I do: I don't mic the drum heads any more - I mic the shells. I tried this arrangement one gig purely on an impulse and simply loved the sound. This placement (aiming at the middle of the shell) dramatically reduces the plastic-y "slap" that results from micing the heads and instead emphasises the pure and warm sound of the toms. (If you play hard rock or metal, this probably isn't for you; but if you play styles in which the tones of the drums are audible, try it.)

Finally, in my odd-ball way of doing things, if I am in a situation where I cannot mic the toms, I don't mic the snare, either. Why? Toms are sadly neglected in almost every club or church setting. Toms are naturally quieter than bass drums, snares, and cymbals, yet those are the very parts that we focus on amplifying. The result is that the toms have to fend for themselves - and they can't. If mic channels are tight, the snare is the last part of the kit that gets my attention. I've found that as long as I have my toms miked adequately, the rest of the kit will bleed through just fine in a pinch.

GeeDeeEmm
    Last edited by gdmoore28; 11-12-2019 at 05:47 PM.