Thread: Mizzipi Mud - my new project

User Info Menu

Default Mizzipi Mud - my new project

Had some buddies putting together a ZZ Top tribute show over the past few years and it was the same time my Radioface project was getting some steam under it.

It was my fork in the road and since the Radioface project came my way first, I stayed with it. Well you saw how that turned out.

So almost the day after the FAKEBOOK announcement that Radioface was no more, the bassist from the tribute band got hold of me and was still interested in my services. So we got together a few times to hash out whatever I knew of the Top songs and it went ok. Nothing great but then I hadn't done my home work.

They gave me a DVD of a live Texas show and I was captivated. I never thought much of ZZ Top (liked them like most bands ) but was never over the top until now. After watching and listening to what the drummer was doing was way more than I ever expected. Frank Beard is a very good drummer without the flamboyance.

I became obsessed with listening and watching and decided to take them up on the band challenge.

We had our first rehearsal this past weekend and it went super smooth.

So with that said we are putting together a 90 minute show and if we don't have an opening act, we will perform as an everyday copy/cover band for the first 2 sets. Take a half hour break to get costumed up and then play an hour and a half ZZ show. These guys dress the part right down to the beards, guitars and even the mic stands. I was impressed. They own PA and lights so I'm back to just being the drummer. They don't use guitar amps. They run direct to the PA. Biggest reason I felt electric drums would blend right in and the band members all agreed.

Yesterday I called a good friend/previous band mate to let him know what was up and found out he (guitarist) is working on a Pink Floyd show with the same intent. Play a shortened show and done.

He liked what I am doing and there's a chance we may double up for the foreseeable future.

So there you have it. The reason for investing in new gear.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mizzipi Mud - my new project

As good a reason as any other, I'd say! Would love to see pics and video when you get them.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I'm gonna need to see this DVD!

We'll come open for you Mark! haha

User Info Menu

Tribute bands seem to be all the rage these days. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats man that sounds awesome. I have always wanted join a tribute band so I could delve right into a certain drummers parts and nuances of playing. Post a clip or 2 when you can. ZZ has a few tricky songs but nothing I am sure you cannot handle. I play Tush but have never heard anyone (me included) cover the drums the way they are recorded. such and odd feel.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nice work.. i want to watch that show now. Anytime i hear the hits they had in the 80's sends me right back to the Army enlisted club at Ft. Ord. They had this big ol video machine. Like a juke box but it played videos. All the ones from Eliminator were on it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

We are rehearsing tonight and I'm going to try to get some video.

No promises.

Been a long week and I'm exhausted.

Not sure how much energy I have tonight.

YIKERS!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Got through rehearsal. Guess I wasn't the only one who was scatter brained yesterday. The guitarist forgot his entire pedal rig. But as usual the drummer comes through. I still have a distortion pedal from my guitar days so all was not lost but not true to tonal capabilities.

Now I have an hour or so of video to go through to see if anything is worth posting.

Stay tuned.

P.S. I have a client coming from Chicago to pick up a set of PA cabinets I sold on Reverb. While he was here he also took the amp/eq/anvil case assembly that powered the speakers. It was a good day for moving inventory.
    Last edited by Bish; 11-17-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Not sure if this link works or is "legal" but here goes. Sample video....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TT...9hk5JNYTZu7rUx
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sounding good. Gotta get used to seeing you behind an eKit.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 11-20-2019 at 07:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Sounding good. Gotta get used to seeing you behind an eKit.
    I'm working on integrating the acoustics. I got them mic'd up. Gotta say though, the Ekit sounds great and doesn't look too bad either. All set up, I can pick up and carry everything except the bass drum/pedal and hi hat pedal all at once. Moving will be a breeze. Not to mention sound checks.
    Signature here