Thread: Snuck this home... PDP Classics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Snuck this home... PDP Classics

I could not resist the deal I got on these... the guy even drove an hour to drop them off at my work to seal the deal...

PDP Classic Maples 22 kick, 13" high tom, 16" floor tom.
    I'm looking online to find the matching 18" floor tom to make it a 1 up 2 down.

Ironically it matches the new Yamaha snare I just bought also. But.. I have two PDP snares that will match also!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snuck this home... PDP Classics

Get some Remos or Evans or something on them. I'd love to here your impressions especially regarding the wood hoops.

User Info Menu

I had a set about 10 years ago and for live playing I had them tune really low. They boom and those look amazing. If you get tired of them...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Get some Remos or Evans or something on them. I'd love to here your impressions especially regarding the wood hoops.
    Yeah going to do a Evans G2 to start and see what happens. Been tweaking the stock heads and I've got them pretty close to likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I had a set about 10 years ago and for live playing I had them tune really low. They boom and those look amazing. If you get tired of them...
    Yeah I want to keep them on the lower side myself. I'm going to look into the matching 18" FT probably.
    Start rotating kits with the band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

Start rotating kits with the band.
    Don't start that. Having countless kits to choose from on a whim, unless you commit to a rigid schedule, will drive you nuts. Decisions, decisions, every gig, all the way up til loading time. It'll make an old man outta ya. Look at me. I'm 12....oops. I'm 18....yeah, 18.

Good luck. It's been fun knowing you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice! The hoops look great
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Sweet!

User Info Menu

Sweet kit,

Have you played 18” floor toms before? They kinda don’t live up to the hype. I used mine mostly as a table when I had it.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Sweet kit,

Have you played 18” floor toms before? They kinda don’t live up to the hype. I used mine mostly as a table when I had it.
    We will find out shortly because yesterday I ordered one hahahaha
    They cut me a good deal so I can't complain.
    And no, my largest toms have always been 16" so I'm excited to see what happens

User Info Menu

Well snuck this in last night also... a matching 14" floor tom. So now I have a 13" Rack tom, 14" floor tom on my left, 16 and 18" floor tom on my right.

User Info Menu

I like how you "sneak things in"

User Info Menu

yeah I'm suppose to be focusing on finishing the basement vs buying drums..
    That's no fun

User Info Menu

If this set is in the basement you are decorating it with tasteful pieces, therefor enhancing the ambiance of the basement. That's definitely helping it get finished in my book.
    DrumCraft Series 8 satin white
    Ludwig Keystone X blue sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple white sparkle
    DW Classics Series emerald onyx
    DW Jazz Series ruby sparkle
    DW, Yamaha, & Gilbraltar hardware
    Zildjian and Sabian cymbals
    Other stuff I forget I even have.

User Info Menu

I would be sleeping on my stomach if I were you.

At the same time, I did sneak my Vette past wife #2 by telling her I was picking up an old Chevy to putz around with. That worked right up to the time I brought it home. I think the side pipes gave it away, plus the fact that it didn't look like a Bel Air
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I would be sleeping on my stomach if I were you.

At the same time, I did sneak my Vette past wife #2 by telling her I was picking up an old Chevy to putz around with. That worked right up to the time I brought it home. I think the side pipes gave it away, plus the fact that it didn't look like a Bel Air
    hahahahaha now that would be hilarious!

User Info Menu

It is true. I had a '74 Javelin AMX that I bought in '75. I was going to be gone for 6 weeks so we pulled the motor, sent it to MSS in NY with a cam and intake manifold. They blueprinted it and it ran 12.4 at 109 at Englishtown. Had it painted black lacquer which looked great with the white interior. Buddy Rich actually took a look at it 1 night when the club was closing. I started to hand him the keys and he said "no, because if I wreck it, I'll have to buy you another 1". If I remember right, he had a Jag XKE at the time.

The Vette came about when I went with a friend of mine to his brothers garage where he was putting stainless steel calipers on it. He was selling it for $5800 so I had to figure out how to buy it without the wife going berserk. The "old chevy" worked right up till I brought it home.

I drove that to Dallas when I moved there in '82. Drove it to California around '84. Drove the whole Pacific Coast Highway with it and drove it on Rt 66 for a while just to say I was on it. 350HP 327, 4 speed, no power anything. Never got a 1/4 mile time slip on it because you couldn't pull a good hole shot with it. I sold it around '86-87 for $12,500. I wonder what it would be worth today???
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I snuck these home this time last year! Now I finally can set them up without my wife complaining.... well I take that back, she still complains.

User Info Menu

Stumbled upon your YouTube video of you demonstrating this kit. I think you need to crank up the snare a bit. Are your snares on the opposite wall. The red rug may have given it away.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Stumbled upon your YouTube video of you demonstrating this kit. I think you need to crank up the snare a bit. Are your snares on the opposite wall. The red rug may have given it away.
    yeah the snares are directly across from this kit. But since the video I moved the snares further down away from the kit. I need to tweak the 13" for sure and yeah I could tighten up the snare for sure.

User Info Menu

Great to see them in their new home!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

What's your take on the 18" FT and especially the wooden hoops? I have an 18 in my fibes kit and always loved it. Rumbly but dramatic.
    I do a lot of rim shots even on toms to a degree... I'd be terrified to hit those rims much.

User Info Menu

What's your take on the 18" FT and especially the wooden hoops? I have an 18 in my fibes kit and always loved it. Rumbly but dramatic.
    I do a lot of rim shots even on toms to a degree... I'd be terrified to hit those rims much.
    Considering it wasn't mic'd, the entire kit sounded really deep on his demo vid. I was digging on the look and the sound was right there with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

that 18 is thunderous and all the toms have deep big power sound. I'm not scared of the wood hoops. I've hit them a could of times myself now. But now that I have an 18" floor tom now I want one on all my kits lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that 18 is thunderous and all the toms have deep big power sound. I'm not scared of the wood hoops. I've hit them a could of times myself now. But now that I have an 18" floor tom now I want one on all my kits lol

Surprised, I am not. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yes I was fond of frequently activating that acrylic 18". My Collectors 16" X 14", however, delivers all the thunder I need.
    Drums, like everything else, have come a long way in the last 50 years!