Thread: 50 years

User Info Menu

Default 50 years

A about 8:30 EST 50 years ago (11/17/1969), I was discharged from the USAF after 4 of the most interesting years of my life.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: 50 years

Thank you for your service sir!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Thank you for your service sir!

Thank you OED, that is deeply appreciated.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yes, thank you for your service. Glad you are here with us now.

User Info Menu

Total respect for the military.

Thank you for YOUR Service and glad you survived to torment this group.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

We appreciate you Rick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Yes, thank you for your service. Glad you are here with us now.
    Looking back on some times back then, I'm glad to be anywhere!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Total respect for the military.

Thank you for YOUR Service and glad you survived to torment this group.
    Knowing that 40+ years down the road DC was coming kept me ducking rather than looking around to see if anyone was there.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    We appreciate you Rick!
    Tom, I think the word you are looking for is "tolerate".

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I know the feeling. I was discharged from the Army in November of 1975, and there is rarely a week goes by that I do not mentally kick myself for ever leaving. I had a great job that I liked (91F20: Neuropsychiatric Technician), decent enough pay and benefits to support my beautiful young wife and me, great and highly-educated people to work with, and benefited from a fast-track promotion program. (With less than 24 months in service, I was promoted to the rank of E5 - equivalent to three stripes. A sargeant, iow.) Best of all, my superiors had (without my knowledge) nominated me to become a Warrant Officer in medicine (and I was accepted), which meant that I would have been trained - for free- as a physician for Army service. (I would not have been able to go into private practice unless I took state bar exams.)

The siren call luring me away from this ideal situation was my family back home in Arkansas. They wanted me to return and become a partner in the family farm - something that I longed for, too. If I returned, I'd be given a home and a work vehicle along with the same salary I was receiving from the Army. Being young and stupid, I yeilded to my family's call while working hard to avoid admitting to myself that I'd be making a huge mistake. As the time for my eligibiligy to resume my Army career ticked away, I wrestled constantly about returning to service. I foolishly let the opportunity slide through my fingers, and I've regretted it since.

Anyway, happy 50 year anniversary, Rick.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I know the feeling. I was discharged from the Army in November of 1975, and there is rarely a week goes by that I do not mentally kick myself for ever leaving. I had a great job that I liked (91F20: Neuropsychiatric Technician), decent enough pay and benefits to support my beautiful young wife and me, great and highly-educated people to work with, and benefited from a fast-track promotion program. (With less than 24 months in service, I was promoted to the rank of E5 - equivalent to three stripes. A sargeant, iow.) Best of all, my superiors had (without my knowledge) nominated me to become a Warrant Officer in medicine (and I was accepted), which meant that I would have been trained - for free- as a physician for Army service. (I would not have been able to go into private practice unless I took state bar exams.)

The siren call luring me away from this ideal situation was my family back home in Arkansas. They wanted me to return and become a partner in the family farm - something that I longed for, too. If I returned, I'd be given a home and a work vehicle along with the same salary I was receiving from the Army. Being young and stupid, I yeilded to my family's call while working hard to avoid admitting to myself that I'd be making a huge mistake. As the time for my eligibiligy to resume my Army career ticked away, I wrestled constantly about returning to service. I foolishly let the opportunity slide through my fingers, and I've regretted it since.

Anyway, happy 50 year anniversary, Rick.

GeeDeeEmm

I was going to re-up with a wife and a little girl and no idea what was coming down the road. I was a E-5 also, they could shorten TIG time where I was. (I extended for a year, that pretty much guaranteed E-5). There was also a 10K VRB if I stayed because of my AFSC, which was CrypCom.

I'm probably the only guy in history who couldn't re-up because I was hit by a tree. Very long story.

Anyway, things turned out good so I didn't regret what happened.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS