Thread: Band Drama

User Info Menu

Default Band Drama

Friday our Rhythm Guitar player sends a message to the bass player saying he just left the dr's office and is on steroids for a real painful shoulder and may not be able to make our gig on sat. night

Bass player tells me only on sat. and of course I say, "well why did he not message everyone in the band" the lead player especially needs to know that.

well he finally sends text to everyone stating his shoulder issues and going to try to make it but no promises. O I am like OK well as long as the lead can do it we should be good. Lead says yes he can cover it so no problem.

Sat. night the rhythm player shows up 20 minutes before the gig luggin in all his stuff and we are like take it easy bud how is your shoulder and he is like thanks it feels much better but then went on about how the dr. mentioned he should be in more pain blah blah blah, he went on and on.

well we play the gig and it was really good one, I get up this am and see his picture in the local online paper where he played hockey with the Bruins alumni all day sat. arrggghhhh why do people have to be ****?

Ya know be honest with it, I know when I mention it this week he is just going to say how I would have been upset had he told us he would rather play hockey than make a gig he committed to, and ya damn right I would have been but at least I would not be able to call you a friggin liar.

I sent the pics to rest of the guys but as usual I dont think anyone cares but me.. I don't know maybe it's time for me to just be done with this band crap or drop my level of commitment which I dont believe I can do.

what do you guys think am I just being a hard *** and should just roll with it? This is not the 1st issue with this guy but I don't want to bore ya with all that.
    Last edited by MDK; 11-24-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band Drama

I'm with you. I impose a high level of commitment on myself to band related activites and, consequently, impose that same level on to others. These expectation are made clear from the outset so everyone knows what they are getting in to. As a result, if a member of the band I was in had committed to a gig then put that gig into jeapody through taking on a later commitment, that'd be a problem. Add in the lying then it take that problem to a whole new level.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Yeah we are also having troubles with our bass player. He knows when practice is and keeps scheduling himself to work on those days and it's pissing everyone off pretty hard.

User Info Menu

You're not wrong

User Info Menu

As usual, the hardest part about being in a band is not the music, it's the relationships among the members. It's often been said being in a band is like being married to 4(or more) people. If the band members are not contributing an equal effort, or there's a lack of trust or honesty, it's not likely to work out in the long run. We have let several members of one of my current bands go over the last few years, and it was never about talent or ability.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Funny, the most recent bass player in my band was the reason I bailed. What's with these guys?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The thing is, just about every single band I've ever played in has some version of this. Someone that slacks or doesn't tell the truth or is always late, or...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Yeah we are also having troubles with our bass player. He knows when practice is and keeps scheduling himself to work on those days and it's pissing everyone off pretty hard.
    As musicians, we fall into 3 categories:

1) Dumb

2) Dumber

3) Moronic

We qualify as dumb if "we put up with it",

We qualify as dumber if we don't confront him/her about it.

We qualify as moronic if we confront him/her and they don't change and we stay anyway.

Nubdrummer is right in saying that the relationship with band members is as important as the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    As usual, the hardest part about being in a band is not the music, it's the relationships among the members. It's often been said being in a band is like being married to 4(or more) people. If the band members are not contributing an equal effort, or there's a lack of trust or honesty, it's not likely to work out in the long run. We have let several members of one of my current bands go over the last few years, and it was never about talent or ability.
    See above

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Funny, the most recent bass player in my band was the reason I bailed. What's with these guys?
    They are musicians, what else would you expect?
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    they are wanna be musicians, what else would you expect?
    fify
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It always seems to be something. You'd think as we mature that it would get better. Guess some people are just terminal a**holes.

User Info Menu

Bish, U gotta 'splain to moi wha "FIFY" means.

"Guess some people are just terminal a**holes"

At last count, there are 4.68 million of them. I have dealt with (in 1 way or another) 4.53 million of them.

I always tried to avoid them, but every place I have ever been, there they were. Sometimes with their entire family.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Bish, U gotta 'splain to moi wha "FIFY" means.
    I modified your statement in my quote.

FIFY means Fixed it for you.

Here's another that took a while to figure out.....

YMMV.

Let me know when you get that one. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

YMMV.

In the mid 1970s (1975 or 1976?) the government passed the "Energy Policy and Conservation Act". One of the provisions of this act was that auto manufacturers needed to post estimated fuel mileage.

The fine print would state, "Your Mileage May Vary".

Since then, the phrase, "your mileage may vary" has been repurposed to also mean that the results of your experiences may vary from that of my own. Text speak has shortened this phrase to... YMMV.

I think that this is a decent explanation, but of course... YMMV.

Last edited by drummer5359; 12-01-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    In the mid 1970s (1975 or 1976?) the government passed the "Energy Policy and Conservation Act". One of the provisions of this act was that auto manufacturers needed to post estimated fuel mileage.

The fine print would state, "Your Mileage May Vary".

Since then, the phrase, "your mileage may vary" has been repurposed to also mean that the results of your experiences may vary from that of my own. Text speak has shortened this phrase to... YMMV.

I think that this is a decent explanation, but of course... YMMV.

All the while I was thinking it had something to do with marriage vows.

"Till death do us part", with the caveat of "Your marriage may vary", which lead to that old song "You Made Me Vomit" I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to do it, YMMV and all the yada yada yada.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

It could be worse... he could've played with the Flyers.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN