DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW buys Slingerland

Actually, I guess I own 3 DW kits...

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

yeah I was reading this article yesterday.
    There's always a lot of love/hate opinions.

For me personally, I'm know I'm 36 years old, so I'm older to some and younger to others.
    But I don't ever think of Slingerland personally when I talk drums. The name NEVER comes up in discussion UNLESS...
    I'm talking to someone in there 60s,70s of age. To me, it's just an old classic company and I don't even think of them for "new" products.
    No offence, i almost don't realize they are still making gear anymore sometimes lol

The name is always around but I never see anything but vintage
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 11-26-2019 at 07:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Back in 1980 when I bought my Slingerlands, the brand was already declining, being surpassed by Tama and other companies. I just wanted a kit with a known brand, a step up from my CB700s, because my band was starting to play out and I didn't want to gig with a "student" kit. For what I paid at the time ($700), I could have gotten a nice kit from one of the more popular brands or an even better used kit, but I didn't know too much about drums then. Anyway, I still have the kit and I'm glad I kept them because now I own a piece of history. My kit has the Chicago badges on them.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I agree, bought my Slingies in 1980 and I own a piece of history. Not too enthused about it and plus I'm not a big DW fan as well.

User Info Menu

Now DW can charge outrageous prices for Slingerland drums as well.

User Info Menu

Happy Birthday Don!

I don't really have much of a reaction to this. I've never understood the attraction to Slingerland drums other than their sentimental, historical value.

User Info Menu

I'm sixty years old, I started playing drums in 1969 when I was ten. I became a serious gigging drummer in 1975 when my older brother's band lost their drummer. Admittedly I'm old, but to me Slingerland drums were something special.

Back then Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, and Rogers all had a distinct sound and identity. Slingerland was the top selling drum company from the late 1930s, thanks initially to Gene Krupa. Their market dominance ended with one television broadcast in February of 1964. Ringo played Ludwig, sales of Ludwig took off like a rocket.

In 1975 virtually every drummer that I met either had a set of Ludwigs, or wanted a set of Ludwigs. There were exceptions. In the Summer of 1975 I was visiting California with my mother, six months before she passed away. We went to Knott's Berry Farm on that trip. By happenstance the Buddy Rich big band was playing on an outside stage that day. I got to see Buddy behind his Slingerlands, and I was a Slingerland guy from that day on.

Slingerland made multi ply wooden snare drums and metal shelled snare drums, but their solid steam bent maple shelled snare drums were really something special. They were the inspiration for drums made by Craviotto, Noble & Cooley, DW, and others. I can't wait to get my hands on a new Slingerland Radio King solid maple snare drum.

In the 1970s Slingerland was still the number two selling brand. Danny Seraphine of Chicago played Slingerland, Neal Smith of the original Alice Cooper Band played Slingerland, Nigel Olson from Elton John's band played Slingerland, and until the early 1980s Neil Peart of Rush played Slingerland drums. (Neil Peart was never an official endorser by the way, it is the brand that he chose to buy and play.) A weird coincidence is that Danny Seraphine and Neil Peart are DW endorsers. The last time that I saw Neal Smith play, he was playing DW, and I believe that Nigel Olson plays DW drums these days as well.

In any case in the late seventies Pearl, Tama and Yamaha started giving the big four American companies, Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, and Rogers some very serious competition. By the end of the eighties Rogers was gone, Slingerland had been sold a couple of times and was a shadow of it's former self. Gretsch and even once mighty Ludwig did not enjoy the sales that they once had.

In 1991 I had a major motorcycle accident. By the time that I was able to even think about drums again it was 1992. A friend of mine and I went into a local drum shop in Pittsburgh and I saw my first set of DW drums. DW at that point was well known for their drum pedals, the DW 5000 pedal was very well respected. I still remember my conversation with the shop owner that day. The set of DWs on the floor were gorgeous, but the idea of an American drum company taking on the Japanese powerhouse corporations was unthinkable. I was impressed with what I saw and heard of DW that day. If I had gotten a settlement from my accident, I'd have likely bought a set of DWs. As it was I bought a set of used Slingerlands that day. Every time that someone complains about DW, I'm reminded how at one time the American drum industry was almost extinct before their success story took off.

My favorite Slingerland drums were built from the late 50s through the 60s. Their thin three ply shells, rounded bearing edges, and "stick saver" hoops added up to something special to me. My first "good" kit was a set of Slingerlands. Since then I've owned seven other Slingerland drum sets, and a lot of their snare drums. They didn't sound quite like Ludwig, or Gretsch or Rogers back in the day. If DW makes a good recreation of 1960s style Slingerlands, they will have something special to sell.

I get that Singerland is not known by a generation of drummers. Whether or not you like DW, few would dispute that their drums are high quality. They have the experience and expertise to create something special with the Slingerland brand. The Lombadi family apparently have always had a high regard for Slingerland drums and their legacy. I think that they are uniquely qualified to resurrect this once proud brand. DW has the marketing muscle to reestablish Slingerland, I'm rooting for them. I can remember when DW was an underdog in the drum industry, I'm looking forward to watching this play out.

Slingerland was not a budget brand, and I don't expect that they will be under DW. I started saving up for a set of new Slingerlands three days ago when the news broke. I fully intend on ordering a set as soon as production starts.
    Last edited by drummer5359; 11-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Very nice, positive post Mike, thank you. I think your comment, "Slingerland is not known by a generation of drummers" sums a lot of it up. Time moves on as well as trends, technology, etc. DW makes top of the line drums for sure and you're right about their marketing muscle. Maybe they can revive this legendary brand.

User Info Menu

Great post Mike -- we have a lot in common.
    My very first kit was a used Slingerland set my Dad bought for my 11th birthday...............they were black and gold duco and I believe were built in 58 or 59............the very 3-ply shells you mention.
    I still have a 1964 Slingerland maple snare (6-lug) that I use as a back-up at all my gigs.
    The stamp on the inside shell clearly says JUN64.............I found this snare in a pile of trash..........all the hardware was still great.........I rebuilt it by replacing heads and snare wires...............hand-sanded it down..............played it for many years like that.
    A few years ago, I had it wrapped with conventional silver sparkle................

IMG_0707.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

Congratulations on acquisition of your American-made Slingys.
    My first set was Slingy;
    My second set was Ludwig;
    My third set was Gretsch -- I'm still gigging with Jasper shells I ordered in 1977.
    The only non-American drums I've owned were a set of Yamaha e-drums.

I'm not a big DW fan but they do have the marketing to help Slingerland.............should be interesting.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom, I really have high hopes.

A lot of you are a good bit younger than me. I mean nothing negative by this, it's just an observation. But a good many of you are old enough to remember a time when Gretsch was not a big player in the world of drums. Before Kaman took over distribution, they were not well known outside of old jazz guys. Kaman developed the brand and today Gretsch is a top name. DW took over development and distribution of Gretsch's USA product only a couple of years ago, and I think that they might have achieved greater popularity than they ever had before.

There was also a time in the not so distant past when Mapex was mostly unknown, clearly this isn't the case today. My point is that things change, and different brands surge and decline in popularity. Pearl, Tama and Yamaha are not struggling by any means, but I don't see them having the dominance that they once enjoyed.

I think that the Slingerland brand has the best chance that it's had since the 1970s. I hope someday many of you get to know and love the brand as I do. Marketing is not the only component. Clearly DW needs to develop a line worthy of it's once high stature in the world of drumming.

My first quality kit was made by Slingerland. These days I currently own a set of DW Collector Series, four Gretsch USA kits, and two vintage Slingerland kits. Gretsch has long been my second favorite brand after Slingerland. Three of my Gretsch kits are vintage, one is brand new. As much as I love Gretsch, if DW had announced this news a year ago, I'd have likely not bought the USA Customs and waited to buy a new Slingerland kit. As of today I have two hundred dollars in my Slingerland gear fund. I intend to put away two hundred a week until I'm able to order a kit. I'm speculating that a new Slingerland Radio King snare will become available before full kits. I intend on ordering one the moment that they become available.

I own some amazing music gear, but I'm far from rich. My wife retired in 2008, I retired in 2009. Eight months ago I took a part time job because a long time family friend needed someone they trusted for their business. I don't make a ton of money, but it gives me a couple of hundred dollars of extra fun money each week to spend. Music stores have benefited greatly from my side job. :D
    -Mike

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Pearl, Tama and Yamaha are not struggling by any means, but I don't see them having the dominance that they once enjoyed.
    Out of curiosity, who do you think does dominate these days?

User Info Menu

I don't think that there are one or two companies dominating the market like has happened in the past. I remember when it was Ludwig, and later when Pearl, Tama and to a lesser extent Yamaha were the big dogs.

There are so many more manufacturers than there once were. I think that is one of the factors that have somewhat leveled the field.
    Last edited by drummer5359; 12-01-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Out of curiosity, who do you think does dominate these days?
    From www.dictionary.com : DOMINANT

-ruling, governing, or controlling; having or exerting authority or influence:
    -dominant in the chain of command.
    -occupying or being in a commanding or elevated position.
    -predominant; main; major; chief:

With that definition in mind, the answer is obvious: DW is dominant.

Think about it. John Good is an absolute master pitchman. And what makes him effective in this role is that he believes in what he sells. He has promoted DW with a passion normally seen in evangelists. The result of his determined efforts is that now even non-musicians recognize DW as a brand of drum, and likely outstrips Ludwig in name recognition. Every TV music event is likely to be equipped with that now-famous DW logo. Almost all drummers for major bands use DW drums. Beginning drummers dream of owning a DW kit above all others. Very few drum kits hold their value as well as DW. And DW has become, for most musicians, the yardstick by which all other companies are compared.

Like them or loath them, one cannot minimize the impact that DW drums has had on the drum industry and the public at large. Dominant? I don't think there is any doubt about it.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

That was quite a sell but I ain't buying it, lol. I do appreciate your opinion though. Ain't that what makes the world go 'round?

User Info Menu

I've never owned anything Slingerland but have always respected the name and the drums. I'm 53 started playing in the early 80's so kind of missed the Slingerland boat.

It seems like they kind of weren't even on the rock radar at that time. To me they seemed like the drums that jazz guys were using. I know that wasn't true .. i saw pictures of rock guys using them like Carmine Appice but that plus the fact that the music stores i went to didn't have any on display kind of left them out of consideration. It was basically all Tama and Pearl in the stores.

I hope that DW can make them [if that's the case] in a way that they will be Slingerland and not just using the badge for some sales.

As for the dominate brand right now... it's gotta be DW. Not that they are better than other brands but you just see them more.

If i had a choice to be sponsored by a company i'd be very happy with Yamaha, Ddrum and Mapex too has sparked interest. Would still like to have one of the Mapex Daisy Cutter snares.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

DRUMMER1971 Guest

In the late 70's I bought my Slingerland kit from a friend.
    I absolutely loved them. Blonde wood finish, I thought I was so cool! LOL!
    I Sold them ten years later, one of the worst decisions I ever made.

User Info Menu

I had a Rogers set when I first started playing in the early 80's, I heard of Slingerland back then but never owned them. If DW would start making them again in the same wood/plies/formula as they were back then, I would be buying a set.
    DrumCraft Series 8 satin white
    Ludwig Keystone X blue sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple white sparkle
    DW Classics Series emerald onyx
    DW Jazz Series ruby sparkle
    DW, Yamaha, & Gilbraltar hardware
    Zildjian and Sabian cymbals
    Other stuff I forget I even have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I've never owned anything Slingerland but have always respected the name and the drums. I'm 53 started playing in the early 80's so kind of missed the Slingerland boat.

It seems like they kind of weren't even on the rock radar at that time. To me they seemed like the drums that jazz guys were using. I know that wasn't true .. i saw pictures of rock guys using them like Carmine Appice but that plus the fact that the music stores i went to didn't have any on display kind of left them out of consideration. It was basically all Tama and Pearl in the stores.

I hope that DW can make them [if that's the case] in a way that they will be Slingerland and not just using the badge for some sales.

As for the dominate brand right now... it's gotta be DW. Not that they are better than other brands but you just see them more.

If i had a choice to be sponsored by a company i'd be very happy with Yamaha, Ddrum and Mapex too has sparked interest. Would still like to have one of the Mapex Daisy Cutter snares.
    DW has acquired or borrowed a lot of the classic drum companies tech(their Trusonic is a blatant rip off of Rogers Dynas) their slide mount comes from Corder Drums and their foot pedals are courtesy of Camco..

I remember talking to Jim Corder when he was talking about patenting that product.
    They should have been the next big US company,but business is business.

Slingerland ,Ludwig and Rogers were out marketed because most of their drums were built using reinforcement rings which were more expensive to build.

The Japanese companies started building just ply shells and beefed up the hardware for the rock market.

Throw in the lower price point for a good enough product and you have a Microsoft moment that eclipsed the domestic producers.
    Last edited by pgm554; 02-28-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I has toyed with finding a nice Slingerland snare. I would like to say that it's because of some quality that I like in the sound of Slingerland snare, but that truth is that I would want one with a Niles, IL badge . . . just because my last name is Niles. How that for shallow!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

telejojo Guest

My drum teacher had a blue sparkle Slingerland set in the late sixty's.