Thread: New Opportunity

User Info Menu

Default New Opportunity

Well, I've been retired since June, and although I had a definite idea on how it would all go (watching the grandchildren was priority #1), it seems like nothing goes quite the way you might envision it. During the summer, I was totally involved with the grandkids, each and every day. Then school started and I wake up every morning to get the grandkids ready for school, say goodbye to my daughter and son-in-law (he works as the network administrator for the local school district, so he takes his daughter to school), and then I take my grandson to his school. Back home to get the dogs fed, and to take them out. I know this must sound terribly exciting so far, but wait.

That's when I found out what having too much time on your hands can feel like. I'm still settling in, and haven't found a place to set up the drums yet (between my stuff and the kids stuff in the garage - they moved to this house in May - there is no place available out there, and I can't move anything more out to the garage to create more space inside. I did manage to make some space for my daughter to get her car into the garage before the winter weather hit, but I can't imagine making anymore headway for quite a while. For this reason, I have had to be content with playing my guitars.

Until recently. The kids had been looking for a church, and had settled into a non-denominational church with a very contemporary service. I thought it was fine, and even wondered if I might be able to be involved in the music somehow. Then my daughter and son-in-law had a discussion about a church that was right around the corner (ok, maybe 2 corners) from where we all live. They had 2 services, so we started attending the contemporary service. They had a drummer, but then he had joined the Marines, and a month ago he headed off to basic training. No other drummer stepped forward, so I casually mentioned that I was a drummer during a conversation that I had with the pastor. I was invited to a rehearsal last Wednesday night, and it went fairly well, even playing an unfamiliar kit.

Sunday was the big day, and I was playing behind a wall of plexiglass for the first time, so I could not gauge my volume, I could only feel the music and play what I thought felt right and trust the sound guy. Oh, and I should mention that my own family had never heard me play before, so there was that added pressure, too.

It turns out that my playing was a big hit, even the pastor told me that she had forgotten what it meant to have a good drummer player. To be called a "good drummer" was the nicest compliment that I could have gotten, and I had a number of other people stop and tell me the same thing . . . including my own family. So I'm finally playing again, and it looks like it will be a regular gig for me.

Yep, retirement hasn't quite gone the way I thought it would, but being able to be playing the drums has just made it soooo much better!

If you've had a new opportunity, let us know about it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Opportunity

That's awesome PastorBob! Glad to hear that you are back to playing and bless you for helping with your grandchildren.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Thanks OldEnglishD! Being with my daughter's family has been awesome. Being able to play again is the icing on the cake.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congratulations sir, that is wonderful.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Bob, this brought a smile to my face. Great news about the band opportunity and please keep us posted as to how it works out. Enjoy your retirement and don't be a stranger.

User Info Menu

Where there's a will, there's a way...or...the Lord works in mysterious ways.
    Retirement can take getting used to for many but I think you'll learn to love it. I did right from the start!!!

User Info Menu

Pretty yappy for a new guy....oh wait. PB.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

He always did have the gift of gab.....great story PB and congrats.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Praise the Lord! We recently changed to a much smaller church. I have to play very quietly, and the only other instrument we have is keyboards, played by my son. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Cool Re: New Opportunity

Hey, pastorbob, you aren't the only one who's now retired! On July 30, I hung up my Walmart vest for the last time, a month after my wife retired from her accounting career...Hope that you've done well, and, from the very first post I saw when I was looking for you, it appears you are! Must admit I'm discovering that I may have more time on my hands than I first thought...I'm still where I've always been, only now with four grandchildren to keep me busy...

Hope to pick up where we left off...I must admit you've found a most interesting place to live. The story goes that the postmaster and residents of your new home town couldn't think of a new name for the community--so he told the post office, "Just name it something peculiar."

All the best!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck