Thread: Without a band, it feels weird.

User Info Menu

Default Without a band, it feels weird.

As a drummer since the 1970s I've always owned one drum kit, maybe two snare drums at a time, and a few extra cymbals. I had a major stroke in January of 2008. I used playing the drums as part of my rehab. I got a divorce around that time as when I had the stroke my wife didn't bother to come to the hospital.

I went back to work for another year and a half, but ended up retiring in 2009. Although I lost the big income, I also lost the big bills. Since I had free time and some extra money I got some really nice gear. Higher end modern and vintage gear caught my fancy. I play hand percussion and bass as well. I remarried. My wife has always only known me as the "crazy gear obsessed drummer/bassist". She not only accepted it, but she embraced it, traveling with me to drum shows, clinics, and far away drum shops. Over time I ended up with a large collection of cymbals, snare drums, drum kits, basses and amps.

The gear wasn't just for fun, I dove into playing. I kept busy with at least one band and as many as three bands at a time for the past ten years. It was fun gigging with the best gear that I could afford. I ran a drum forum for a while, hosted local drum clinics and had a great time.

Eventually I ran out of space. My rehearsal room started to look like a high end hoarder lived here. I started to purge and rethink things. As of last year I owned thirteen drum kits, over ninety cymbals from three different manufacturers, I have no idea how many snare drums, fourteen basses (American Fenders, Rickenbackers and a Music Man), two big bass rigs, five nice American Fender guitars and a flock of tube amps that I kept around for rehearsal purposes. I can't forget to mention two full PA systems, and a lot of lighting.

This past year I started purging. Currently I still own eight drum kits. Two are currently on consignment at a local shop, more will follow. I decided to keep one vintage 1960s Slingerland kit, my DW Collector's Series and my new Gretsch USA Customs. Instead of a flock of vintage kits I'm expanding my DWs and Gretsch USA Customs into shell banks that will handle any playing situation that I might encounter. It makes more sense as a working drummer and takes up a lot less space. I purged most of my cymbals, keeping only Zildjians. Admittedly, I still own about forty cymbals, but that is a lot less than ninety. On the bass front I'm own to ten, I now only own one guitar and one tube amp.

Of course once you figure out a plan of action, life has a way of throwing you a curve ball. The two bands that have kept me busy for many years both recently folded up. This leaves me in the middle of revamping my drum gear for gigs that I no longer have. Okay. I'm going to continue to sell off my vintage kits, and I'm still going to finish building out my two shell banks as I'm almost done. The shell banks still take up less room than complete kits. I intend on finding another band, so I'm not going to sell off the PA and lighting gear just yet. I'm going to continue my daily practice, and be ready for whatever comes. I'll start letting it be known that I'm available after the first of the year.

Still, it does feel weird.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Without a band, it feels weird.

Strange how life turns can affect our psyche isn't it? I went through some stuff back in the 90's and it altered my overall perception of life.

13 drum kits? 90 cymbals? Damn!!! The most I've ever owned is 3. One for the bus, one for local gigs and one for practice at home. Wait, I also had a Roland electronic kit so that was four. But 13 drumkits? Wow!

User Info Menu

What might that "overall perception of life" be??????

I've gone through about 6-7 of them. All different yet all the same in some way.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Hang in there Mike................as we have all experienced, these things tend to cycle back around.
    The fact that you got beyond the stroke and the divorce is testament that you can handle anything else that hits you.
    Keep drumming and enjoy.............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

13 kits! Wow, you'd need a wall rack with a servo-controlled retrieval system. Not enough floor space...

User Info Menu

I have a lot of Humes and Berg Enduro cases, and three large metal racks to store them on. I have banners hung from them to make it look let like a storage facility and more like the rehearsal room in my basement that it is. I always keep one kit set up, one kit in a rehearsal room across town, another stacked by the door and ready to go. Still, it got overwhelming. Cases 01.JPG Cases 02.JPG Cases 03.jpg Cases 04.JPG
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Man, that's insane!

User Info Menu

Amateur. LOL

I wonder between you and Zack, who's the biggest hoarder? He's still young and hasn't hit that certain realization barrier yet that you and I have witnessed. I hope it never happens.

You are doing the right thing and at the right time.

Keep on keepin' on, my brother!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Staring out the window, ATM, it makes me think back and a song pops up...and a few words of wisdom, perhaps...."Ride the wind of change." In my mind, sometimes let fate do its thing and just see where it takes you. You don't always have to drive and you can usually get off anytime you want!
    Signature here