Thread: Drums and Drumsets made with a 3D Printer

User Info Menu

Default Drums and Drumsets made with a 3D Printer

Have an idea for a drum? Just print it!
    3D technology is nothing new but I'm constantly blown away by advances with this art form. I ran across this article today while searching for something else:

https://www.industryweek.com/technol...ch-to-new-beat

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums and Drumsets made with a 3D Printer

When they can make Jennifer Lawrence or Brie Larson, tell them to give me a call.

My acrylic Crystal Beats qualify as a form of plastic, so Pearl was ahead of the game 4 decades ago.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

That’s pretty cool. I don’t see any reason why the big brand drum manufacturers could not have produced an all-plastic or nylon shell w/integrated lugs from cast or injection molding decades ago if they wanted. I’m sure there’s a reason. In fact, they could have done the same thing out of metal. I don’t see anything “groundbreaking” here, other than utilizing 3D printing....which is cool.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I really wanna see/hear that myself!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That’s pretty cool. I don’t see any reason why the big brand drum manufacturers could not have produced an all-plastic or nylon shell w/integrated lugs from cast or injection molding decades ago if they wanted. I’m sure there’s a reason. In fact, they could have done the same thing out of metal. I don’t see anything “groundbreaking” here, other than utilizing 3D printing....which is cool.
    Well, I watched the video again and when he's testing the drums, they sound kind of dead and/or really muted to me. Maybe that's why the main manufacturers haven't run with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Well, I watched the video again and when he's testing the drums, they sound kind of dead and/or really muted to me. Maybe that's why the main manufacturers haven't run with it.

Would you re-tool for something that probably won't sell?

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

The video didn't load last time. Now I got to see the video.
    I'll admit I questions building drums once but it was just a thought. He took it and went to town!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    When they can make Jennifer Lawrence or Brie Larson, tell them to give me a call.

My acrylic Crystal Beats qualify as a form of plastic, so Pearl was ahead of the game 4 decades ago.
    May not be able to give you the entire girl just yet, but...

User Info Menu

Image[2305843009213756524] (3).jpg

This is more along the lines of what I meant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don't know what that material is like but it looks kind of porous and non resonant. On the other hand there is no bending stress whatsoever so that's a plus. If you could print with a hard engineering plastic like polycarbonate or polysulphone you might have something but I believe you'd get a better sound with a shell of consistent thickness and lugs.
    Sure looks cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I don't know what that material is like but it looks kind of porous and non resonant. On the other hand there is no bending stress whatsoever so that's a plus. If you could print with a hard engineering plastic like polycarbonate or polysulphone you might have something but I believe you'd get a better sound with a shell of consistent thickness and lugs.
    Sure looks cool.
    The way it usually goes is, there's some missing element that keeps it from taking off and then one day a scientist somewhere in Europe or Asia discovers a new chemical or gadget or micro something or another that completely changes the landscape. They'll then start applying that to the already known 3D print technology to make drums and wholla, it will blow up and be milked for the next 20 years!

By the way, I'm impressed with your knowledge of plastics Bob.

User Info Menu

I worked with an engineering company a few years back that did 3D printing. It’s amazing how detailed they can get. The biggest use for it is in doing product prototypes for testing fit and function. Its way cheaper than creating molds and you can simply change designs and just re-print. It’s not really feasible for final production at this stage. Who knows...in 20yrs, the 3D printer may be a household staple. We’ll go on-line to purchase & download drawings of stuff and simply print them off at home.
    It’s cool that they already use massive portable 3D printers to print houses and buildings.
    They even 3D print concrete now.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm sure that I wouldn't want to be on the 30th floor of a building that was made by the same people that make Legos.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS